Hyper212 Evo fan makes a lot of noise ever since I've connected it to a fan hub

JorenBus

So my Hyper212 Evo fan used to be very silent. I've just installed 4 new case fans (Pure Wings 2) and connected them to a PMW fan hub.

Now the fan on the 212 Evo makes quite a bit of noise, a lot more than when I had it plugged directy into the CPU fan header.

Any ideas on how this is possible and how I can fix it?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

The fan is running faster than it used to, the fan on my 212 evo barely spins when idle and only speeds up slightly when under load.

Plug the cpu fan into the cpu header and the controller hub into a case fan header instead. Keep case fans plugged into hub.

Is hub using CPU header and is it PWM hub?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The Fan Hub will be taking the speed of the fan connected to the first header on the hub and relaying that PWM signal to the other fans. In theory you could connect the Hyper 212 Evo fan to the first connector on the fan hub (and plug the other fans into any of the other headers) and that fan will dictate the speed of all the others. This basically means the Hyper 212 Evo fan will be in full control of the situation, just like it used to when you had it plugged into the CPU FAN header before.

Just for clarity can you link a store page of the fan hub you own just to see if there may be an issue with compatibility.

1 hour ago, Aloe Vera said:

The Fan Hub will be taking the speed of the fan connected to the first header on the hub and relaying that PWM signal to the other fans. In theory you could connect the Hyper 212 Evo fan to the first connector on the fan hub (and plug the other fans into any of the other headers) and that fan will dictate the speed of all the others. This basically means the Hyper 212 Evo fan will be in full control of the situation, just like it used to when you had it plugged into the CPU FAN header before.

Just for clarity can you link a store page of the fan hub you own just to see if there may be an issue with compatibility.

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Is hub using CPU header and is it PWM hub?

1 hour ago, Pesukarhu said:

The fan is running faster than it used to, the fan on my 212 evo barely spins when idle and only speeds up slightly when under load.

Plug the cpu fan into the cpu header and the controller hub into a case fan header instead. Keep case fans plugged into hub.

This is the hub I use, it's a PWM hub: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

The hub is connected to the CPU header and the fan on the 212 Evo is connected to said hub.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

I think that's a PWM hub designed  specifically for 3-pin fans, it appears there isn't a 4th pin on the first connector.

The way that hub will be working is the hub will take the PWM signal from the CPU motherboard header and dish it out to all the fans, some PWM fans specifically require a Speed Control Signal (which comes from the infamous 4th pin) otherwise they won't be able to self-regulate their speed. It is likely your Hyper 212 Evo fan is running at or near full speed (depending on the manufacturers setup of the fan, some PWM fans run at 60% if they have no signal, others run at 100%).

If your adamant on using just a fan hub, you'll need to get yourself a fan hub where the first or all headers have 4-pins, and the rest can be 3-pins. One like this would be fantastic and will give you good room for expansion - https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

It appears your motherboard like mine only has 1 true PWM fan header, you could get a 4-pin Y-splitter like this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-pwm-fan-splitter-supports-2-pwm-fans-from-a-single-motherboard-pwm-header

and have the Hyper 212 Evo fan connected to one end, and your fan hub to the other. It's up to you how much you want to spend, and whether or not you don't want to have an extra Fan Splitter cable cluttering up the inside of your PC - it can be irritating.

Let us know if you have any more queries on the subject, sorry it appears to be such a pain. Fixes like these seem so simple at first...

Kinda agree with above. Hub has PWM sensor cable which should act as PWM-like fan. However since hubs headers are 3pin, accuracy of control will be weaker. So instead of having PWMs 16-25% low point, you have 30-40% low point typical for 3pin fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

34 minutes ago, Aloe Vera said:

I think that's a PWM hub designed  specifically for 3-pin fans, it appears there isn't a 4th pin on the first connector.

The way that hub will be working is the hub will take the PWM signal from the CPU motherboard header and dish it out to all the fans, some PWM fans specifically require a Speed Control Signal (which comes from the infamous 4th pin) otherwise they won't be able to self-regulate their speed. It is likely your Hyper 212 Evo fan is running at or near full speed (depending on the manufacturers setup of the fan, some PWM fans run at 60% if they have no signal, others run at 100%).

If your adamant on using just a fan hub, you'll need to get yourself a fan hub where the first or all headers have 4-pins, and the rest can be 3-pins. One like this would be fantastic and will give you good room for expansion - https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

It appears your motherboard like mine only has 1 true PWM fan header, you could get a 4-pin Y-splitter like this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-pwm-fan-splitter-supports-2-pwm-fans-from-a-single-motherboard-pwm-header

and have the Hyper 212 Evo fan connected to one end, and your fan hub to the other. It's up to you how much you want to spend, and whether or not you don't want to have an extra Fan Splitter cable cluttering up the inside of your PC - it can be irritating.

Let us know if you have any more queries on the subject, sorry it appears to be such a pain. Fixes like these seem so simple at first...

Allright makes sense, thanks for explaining! 

I don't think I will buy a new hub since it's not THAT loud. 

Maybe I will just buy another Pure Wings 2 fan and replace the stock 212 fan with a Pure Wings 2. That will work and have about the same cooling potential as the stock fan right?

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Kinda agree with above. Hub has PWM sensor cable which should act as PWM-like fan. However since hubs headers are 3pin, accuracy of control will be weaker. So instead of having PWMs 16-25% low point, you have 30-40% low point typical for 3pin fans.

I've typically found that the 3-pin only fan hubs with no 4-pin 1st header don't work the way most people think they would. I do agree that they have a higher and less uniform resistance which is a little annoying, however I haven't experienced increases in resistance to the same degree you have - luck of the draw I guess.

5 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Allright makes sense, thanks for explaining! 

I don't think I will buy a new hub since it's not THAT loud. 

Maybe I will just buy another Pure Wings 2 fan and replace the stock 212 fan with a Pure Wings 2. That will work and have about the same cooling potential as the stock fan right?

Cool no problem, you could buy a splitter which would cost you around $5-$10.

However getting a new fan is not a bad idea, you'll at least have a spare fan if your need one then.

The Pure Wings 2 will have roughly the same cooling ability, in all honesty having any fan there will do the job - it just comes down to noise, air flow and aesthetics.