Can You Clean a Low Pass Filter With Compressed Air?

I have a Nikon D50 (I know the camera is dated but it's all I have) and noticed that the Low Pass Filter was dirty from being in storage for a while. The manual says to use a "blower" to clean the filter. I was wondering if it was safe to use canned compressed air as a substitute.

Thanks in advance! 

3 hours ago, mishmosh21 said:

I have a Nikon D50 (I know the camera is dated but it's all I have) and noticed that the Low Pass Filter was dirty from being in storage for a while. The manual says to use a "blower" to clean the filter. I was wondering if it was safe to use canned compressed air as a substitute.

Thanks in advance! 

You could, but you could also make the problem worse if condensation forms on the filter.  Try taking a can of compressed air and blowing it on a window or mirror, see what happens the first few seconds.

Get a proper air blower or get the filter cleaned by someone who knows what they're doing.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins