PCIe Lanes, explained

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
8 minutes ago, RobertoRenish said:

By that you mean that this are two different things? One is from the cpu and the other one is from the chipset?

pcie.png

Lanes and slots are different. Both the chipset and CPU provide lanes, which can be used by devices in PCIe slots. Generally, the CPU's PCIe lanes are set aside for graphics cards and while things like storage, WiFi and such go through the chipset. You can put the WiFi card in either the x1 or x16 slot and it should use the chipset's PCIe lanes. It definitely will in the x1 slot. 

Important part is, you can put the WiFi card in the PC without affecting the speed of the graphics card. 

So i bought a rosewill wifi PCIe card for my desktop pc (and i know it's people are going to tell me to wire it to an ethernet cable but i can so save comment please) and i'm planning to buy a GTX 1070 for the rig;

My question is simple, because i have a 7600k the cpu only supports 16 Pci lanes, so if i have a wifi card in the PCIe x1 slot will i need to run the GTX 1070 on x15 or x8 or something similar or it will simply not work?

This is the card i bought: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833166076

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It will use the PCIe lanes provided by the chipset. It will have no impact on the GPU at all. 

By that you mean that this are two different things? One is from the cpu and the other one is from the chipset?

pcie.png

8 minutes ago, RobertoRenish said:

pcie.png

Lanes and slots are different. Both the chipset and CPU provide lanes, which can be used by devices in PCIe slots. Generally, the CPU's PCIe lanes are set aside for graphics cards and while things like storage, WiFi and such go through the chipset. You can put the WiFi card in either the x1 or x16 slot and it should use the chipset's PCIe lanes. It definitely will in the x1 slot. 

Important part is, you can put the WiFi card in the PC without affecting the speed of the graphics card. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Lanes and slots are different. Both the chipset and CPU provide lanes, which can be used by devices in PCIe slots. Generally, the CPU's PCIe lanes are set aside for graphics cards and things like storage, WiFi and such go through the chipset. You can put the WiFi card in either the x1 or x16 slot and it should use the chipset's PCIe lanes. It definitely will in the x1 slot. 

Alright so you say that storage is also used from the cpu; i have a NVME ssd install as a boot drive, is that using the lanes of the CPU or the or the lanes from the chipset?

Just now, RobertoRenish said:

Alright so you say that storage is also used from the cpu; i have a NVME ssd install as a boot drive, is that using the lanes of the CPU or the or the lanes from the chipset?

No, I said CPU lanes are put aside for graphics cards (mostly). PCIe based storage, such as NVMe SSDs go through the chipset.