New CPU Cooler needed perhaps, recommendations?

Xiauj
26 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Think about the noise

Yes it's louder. It's not that much louder though once you factor in the better performance.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

It is a louder though.

At the same time though once you factor in the fact that you're comparing to $40-$50 CPU coolers I think you're right, it's a pretty good deal...

48 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Think about the noise

I have used the fans that come on the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 before, as chassis fans. In person they are very quiet. The difference in noise would be negligible. 

For the price, the Gammaxx 400 is really good value. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Ok I think I've made a choice, been thinking about it earlier whilst watching YT and I decided that I might extend a budget a little bit and go a tiny bit overkill but that's ok, because aesthetics and sound are all that I'm concerned about, just want it very quiet, looking and performing pretty damn well.

Gonna go with a particular beQuiet! Cooler (Dark Rock 3) despite the price :P Looks like the best option and I tried looking for both the Deepcool one and several Cryorig ones and couldn't find them as New, only second-hand as the condition on certain sites, they were 'New' on eBay but meh I dunno so much :dry:

@MEC-777, @PCGuy_5960 @NCIX Lampy, @DocSwag, @Ordinarily_Greater :D Like I said, a tiny bit overkill but I'm alright with that, so long as it performs pretty damn well in terms of noise.

DR3 is one of the quietest cooler out there, but that level of quiteness for 60 pounds isn't worth it imo

Page-1 of this topic -^

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

5 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

$10 more and Noctua NH-U14S is reachable

Just posted an update-post on Page-3 (Above) if you haven't see it yet but thanks for the recommendation and sorry I saw your comment a bit late :/ Was watching YouTube and didn't hear the notification, lol.

I haven't ordered the new cooler yet but yeah thanks again man! I appreciate it!

Oh and btw, GBP ;) Not USD/CAD lol

Don't worry its fine :P

Edited by Xiauj

@MEC-777, @PCGuy_5960, @DocSwag and others:

I haven't ordered it just yet but I just wanted to ask something which I hadn't really noticed until just now.

Seeing as I recently swapped out my old 450w PSU for a brand new EVGA G2 650w PSU and the case as some of you know, the PSU should be fine, right ..? I don't want the same story all over again; aka the PSU overheating then suddenly shutting down my PC unexpectedly.

The reason I ask is because the Dark Rock 3 according to the box/pic in PCPP shows 190W TDP and like on this beQuiet! Shadow Rock 2 cooler for example, it shows 180W TDP but then on my PCPP List... it shows this..?:

14db8f11c82b8906fd66b2b9c8677f44.png

Errr......... xD Can't tell if that's a UI Bug or what.

Also DocSwag, was that the cooler you were recommending? Not sure if it was that specific one you had meant :P

Trying to (re)decide between Dark Rock 3, Shadow Rock 2 or H7 or anything else xD.

Also this might sound absolutely ridiculous but...

Spoiler

Would adding a really good beQuiet/Noctua 120mm/whatever-size based fan onto a medium-range cooler still keep it nice and quiet in terms of sound and temperatures..?

Or would a top of the range fan not really help much?

Very Curious :P

Edited by Xiauj
Added an additional question

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

The reason I ask is because the Dark Rock 3 according to the box/pic in PCPP shows 190W TDP and like on this beQuiet! Shadow Rock 2 cooler for example, it shows 180W TDP but then on my PCPP List... it shows this..?:

14db8f11c82b8906fd66b2b9c8677f44.png

Errr......... xD Can't tell if that's a UI Bug or what.

This means that the fan uses 5-10W :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This means that the fan uses 5-10W :P

Ohh, I see.

In that case, what does the 190W TDP mean then?

I assume that's what the cooler uses?

I should be fine with a 650w G2 PSU then?

Spoiler

ba5d9f5b9fc5e916e1cc609ac5d5298c.1600.jpg

10 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

In that case, what does the 190W TDP mean then?

I assume that's what the cooler uses?

190W TDP means that it's designed to dissipate 190W of heat 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

190W TDP means that it's designed to dissipate 190W of heat 

Oh I see, thanks for that man ^_^

Any idea as for my other question?:

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Trying to (re)decide between Dark Rock 3, Shadow Rock 2 or H7 or anything else xD.

Also this might sound absolutely ridiculous but...

Spoiler

Would adding a really good beQuiet/Noctua 120mm/whatever-size-needed fan onto a medium-range cooler still keep it nice and quiet in terms of sound and temperatures..?

Very Curious :P

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

Any idea as for my other question?:

6958_26_cryorig-h7-cpu-cooler-review.png

6958_27_cryorig-h7-cpu-cooler-review.png

Dark Rock 3, it's cooler and quieter than the H7 and looks way better than the Shadow Rock

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

6958_26_cryorig-h7-cpu-cooler-review.png

6958_27_cryorig-h7-cpu-cooler-review.png

Dark Rock 3, it's cooler and quieter than the H7 and looks way better than the Shadow Rock

At the same time though it costs a lot more xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

At the same time though it costs a lot more xD 

Yeah true, that's why I'm trying to make a final choice, haven't ordered it yet btw, am about to order it soon though ^_^

What do you think, DocSwag? o.O

Would adding a really good beQuiet/Noctua 120mm/whatever-size based fan onto a medium-range cooler still keep it nice and quiet in terms of sound and temperatures..? Ignoring aesthetics for a second here, would sound and temps be fine?

Kinda Curious :P

30 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Yeah true, that's why I'm trying to make a final choice, haven't ordered it yet btw, am about to order it soon though ^_^

Would adding a really good beQuiet/Noctua 120mm/whatever-size based fan onto a medium-range cooler still keep it nice and quiet in terms of sound and temperatures..? Ignoring aesthetics for a second here, would sound and temps be fine?

Reveal hidden contents

at most it would make it quieter but there would be a negligible difference in temperatures. sometimes it might even raise temperatures

another cooler that fits your budget is scythe ninja 4

46 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think adding a good fan to one of the lower cost coolers isn't really worth it. For a high end fan you're looking at $20 or so for the fan alone, add that to the $30-$35 you're already paying for the cooler that's pretty much into stuff like dark rock 3 and u14s territory, both of which COME with a $20 fan (dark rock 3 comes with a silent wings 3, I'm not sure about u14s but I'm guess it comes with noctua's best fan), and also look nicer (at least in the dark rock 3's case) and have a bigger heatsink so you end up with lower temps and better noise.

It would help, no doubt, I just don't think it'd be worth it.

Is this CPU cooler going to be for your fx CPU and are you gonna be overclocking at all?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Is this CPU cooler going to be for your fx CPU and are you gonna be overclocking at all?

Yeah it will be for my AMD FX 8350 Rig.

As for the overclocking, I won't be overclocking and I know that's why people normally buy these types of aftermarket coolers but honestly this will be worth (I hope) in terms of noise and I suppose aesthetics, because the stock cooler that I've had for 4 years is just getting more and more louder to me at least. Cannot wait to hear silence and hopefully erase most of the heat for a change lol. Can't load a Steam Game without hearing a roaring noise, literally.

26 minutes ago, verytiny said:

at most it would make it quieter but there would be a negligible difference in temperatures. sometimes it might even raise temperatures

Oh ok that's good to know :) Thank you for that!

Just now, Xiauj said:

Yeah it will be for my AMD FX 8350 Rig.

As for the overclocking, I won't be overclocking and I know that's why people normally buy these types of aftermarket coolers but honestly this will be worth (I hope) in terms of noise and I suppose aesthetics, because the stock cooler that I've had for 4 years is just getting more and more louder to me at least. Cannot wait to hear silence and hopefully erase most of the heat for a change lol. Can't load a Steam Game without hearing a roaring noise, literally.

Oh ok that's good to know :) Thank you for that!

If it's at stock, I think one of the cheaper ones (cryorig h7, shadow rock 2, or the deepcool mentioned earlier) would be fine. I'd probably go for either shadow rock 2 or deepcool one if aesthetics don't matter much, h7 looks better imo so if aesthetics matter that would probably be a better option.

Dark rock 3 seems a bit overkill for stock 8350 :P, if you might overclock in the future or upgrade to a different CPU and OC then it might be worth consideration.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

@PCGuy_5960from the graph i guess it is good to put in NH-D15 SE-AM4 to upcoming ryzen system

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

24 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

@PCGuy_5960from the graph i guess it is good to put in NH-D15 SE-AM4 to upcoming ryzen system

Yep, although, an NH-D15 is kind of unnecessary, because Ryzen runs extremely cool :D

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yep, although, an NH-D15 is kind of unnecessary, because Ryzen runs extremely cool :D

What about NH-U14S? Seems small but vigilant

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

What about NH-U14S? Seems small but vigilant

Should be good enough,. If you want to get the NH-D15, go for it, because you will be able to have the fans spin at a very low RPM, so it will be almost 100% silent ;)

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Should be good enough,. If you want to get the NH-D15, go for it, because you will be able to have the fans spin at a very low RPM, so it will be almost 100% silent ;)

Oh yeah i think i am going for big budget for new system because i already have the plan to utilize my old LGA 775 PC to be a main system.

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

19 hours ago, DocSwag said:

If it's at stock, I think one of the cheaper ones (cryorig h7, shadow rock 2, or the deepcool mentioned earlier) would be fine. I'd probably go for either shadow rock 2 or deepcool one if aesthetics don't matter much, h7 looks better imo so if aesthetics matter that would probably be a better option.

Hmm alright cool, I might consider the beQuiet! Shadow Rock 2 Cooler perhaps.

Hopefully it's pretty damn quiet and better than the H7 in terms of noise and performance :D 

19 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Dark rock 3 seems a bit overkill for stock 8350 :P, if you might overclock in the future or upgrade to a different CPU and OC then it might be worth consideration.

Yeah I know, I knew that waaaaaaaaay before I made this topic xD 

But hey, that one looks nicer in Black though.

Next task after I buy this will be the GPU... :dry:

I have one in mind, mainly gotta decide on which aftermarket-one based on performance and noise and not so much aesthetics.

Spoiler

Why don't EVGA do AMD Cards... :(

Edited by Xiauj

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Hmm alright cool, I might consider the beQuiet! Shadow Rock 2 Cooler perhaps.

Hopefully it's pretty damn quiet and better than the H7 in terms of noise and performance :D 

Yeah I know, I knew that waaaaaaaaay before I made this topic xD 

But hey, that one looks nicer in Black though.

I would probably put them around equals. Judging by the things @PCGuy_5960 linked the h7 is cooler but it's also louder and judging by the margins between them I would guess and say they would be kind of similar in thermal performance. Just a guess though.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Update:

So um, I have decided to order the beQuiet! Shadow Rock 2 CPU Cooler ^_^ Was still thinking about the Dark Rock 3 but I decided to hold back on that decision. Am hoping that the noise calms down a lot, lol. And hopefully it will stop the continuous moaning in my house.... :dry: (..lol).

Thanks again @DocSwag / @PCGuy_5960 and others for the recommendations, I do appreciate it.

Now I just gotta wait for it to arrive!