Hi, I just ordered a new motherboard for my system that I built a few years ago as well as a new graphics card. I know swapping out a graphics card is quick and easy just change it out and reboot. But, to change the motherboard, will it recognize my current windows install or will I need a fresh hard drive and fresh windows install? Like can I just swap the board and expect it to boot from the same hard drive or will that not work? Id rather not reinstall Windows and everything. Also, the new board is for the same CPU socket as before and still made by Asus, just a better model.

Windows links to the motherboard so changing the motherboard is like changing the entire computer for windows. Depending on the Licence you may have to reactivate windows with the old key or buy a new windows licence. Other than that your components will work fine (providing the motherboard works fine)

1 minute ago, Wrb said:

Windows links to the motherboard so changing the motherboard is like changing the entire computer for windows. Depending on the Licence you may have to reactivate windows with the old key or buy a new windows licence. Other than that your components will work fine (providing the motherboard works fine)

Ok, but does that mean just boot from the same install and re-enter my license key, or wipe drive and fresh install?

4 minutes ago, fsm01 said:

Ok, but does that mean just boot from the same install and re-enter my license key, or wipe drive and fresh install?

Boot from the same hard drive (you might have to do this manually in the BIOS/UEFI) and go into settings then type in activate, then type in the product key. Assuming you have a retail key, as you said you built you computer, everything should be that easy.

1 minute ago, Wrb said:

Boot from the same hard drive (you might have to do this manually in the BIOS/UEFI) and go into settings then type in activate, then type in the product key.

Ok cool, I was just afraid that I would need to totally wipe the drive and do a fresh install of Windows. Thanks

23 minutes ago, fsm01 said:

Ok cool, I was just afraid that I would need to totally wipe the drive and do a fresh install of Windows. Thanks

again, depending on the licence you bought (OEM or Retail). You can only transfer windows keys to other MBs if it's a retail key. If it's an OEM key, you must purchase a new key to be reactivated.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic