Is my CPU overheating?

I constantly hear my cooler's fan (stock AMD cooler) ramping up and down during gaming. I never see any frame drops though, and according to HWMonitor it never thermal throttles always at full turbo 3.9GHz (stock 3.7GHz but its never here) and some times goes out of spec in to 4GHz land. But what really worries me is that HWMonitor states a 90+ Celsius on package and I've never seen it lower than 80. AMD Overdrive more or less tells the same story but with thermal margins being 2-15 degrees at all times but again no throttling. the only place I've seen reasonable temps in is the bios (41) but for obvious reasons I take that with a grain of salt. its not the mounting or paste either as I've put new paste on and made sure the heat sink was on properly but at best it was 1-2 degrees difference, so nothing significant. So am I missing something? Should I get a new cooler (aftermaket at this point)? Or am i just worrying for nothing?

EDIT 1: Forgot to mention I have 4 case fans and the CPU is an Athlon x4 860k with a gtx 980 

From what i know and have been through at 100 degrees celsius your pc will just turn off. Keep in mind that its mainly your cores that will get to such temperatures, followed by your gpu. I used to game on a laptop amd thats what happened, was still able to play if i put it out on this elevated spot in the balcony but it didnt  last too long.

On my new laptop (1060 6gbvram), i try keep under 70 degrees tp avpid any damage from rapid heating and cooling and prolonged exporsire to high temperatures.

That's pretty damn hot.

I'd suggest either trying to undervolt the CPU, or getting an aftermarket cooler like the cryorig H7

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, Magma Claw said:

From what i know and have been through at 100 degrees celsius your pc will just turn off. Keep in mind that its mainly your cores that will get to such temperatures, followed by your gpu. I used to game on a laptop amd thats what happened, was still able to play if i put it out on this elevated spot in the balcony but it didnt  last too long.

On my new laptop (1060 6gbvram), i try keep under 70 degrees tp avpid any damage from rapid heating and cooling and prolonged exporsire to high temperatures.

Its never shut off but i have seen it once reach 103 and the gpu is fine both on afterburner and HWMoniter its always under 60 (as of writing this now its at 92CPU 37GPU)

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's pretty damn hot.

I'd suggest either trying to undervolt the CPU, or getting an aftermarket cooler like the cryorig H7

I don't know how I'd go about undervolting plus I dont' think my mobo allows OCing to begin with

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's pretty damn hot.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-T2-Heatpipes/dp/B00K7809O2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497588174&sr=8-3&keywords=cooler+master+t4

would this cooler be sufficient? (212 doesn't fit in my case acording to ppp) 

1 minute ago, LordNewb said:

Its never shut off but i have seen it once reach 103 and the gpu is fine both on afterburner and HWMoniter its always under 60 (as of writing this now its at 92CPU 37GPU)

I don't know how I'd go about undervolting plus I dont' think my mobo allows OCing to begin with

Yeah your cpu is prooobbbaaaabllyy going to be heavily damaged in the long run. Pretty sure you can undervolt with any overclocking software, correct me if i am wrong, just need to reduce the power imput instead of increasing it.

Oshi i forgot all about how i am reducing my temps, basically I cap my fps , stopping the pc from working harder to render more frames than what my screen is capable of displaying < maybe try this? In my case temps would go over 80 and fps was around 100 on bf4 for example

9 minutes ago, LordNewb said:

definitely going to be better than the stock cooler, but not really recommended.

what's the max cooler height of your case?

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, Magma Claw said:

Oshi i forgot all about how i am reducing my temps, basically I cap my fps , stopping the pc from working harder to render more frames than what my screen is capable of displaying < maybe try this? In my case temps would go over 80 and fps was around 100 on bf4 for example

I already cap frames at 60hz (I'm a silence freak) so the fans  on the gpu dont even spin aswell as lower AA to x2 as i really see no difference past that (visually). but temps are around the same but would that only affect gpu temps not cpu?

8 minutes ago, Magma Claw said:

Yeah your cpu is prooobbbaaaabllyy going to be heavily damaged in the long run. Pretty sure you can undervolt with any overclocking software, correct me if i am wrong, just need to reduce the power imput instead of increasing it.

Went into the bios to see if i could under volt but I cant its locked at 1.3 something so should I just order that cooler?

5 minutes ago, LordNewb said:

I already cap frames at 60hz (I'm a silence freak) so the fans  on the gpu dont even spin aswell as lower AA to x2 as i really see no difference past that (visually). but temps are around the same but would that only affect gpu temps not cpu?

Went into the bios to see if i could under volt but I cant its locked at 1.3 something so should I just order that cooler?

I dont know too much about undervolting but i tried a few times with success although i did go back to normal values as it was too fiddly. I didnt do it through the bios but rather through some software by intel or something, so yeah im no help.  Maybe check some youtube vids?

12 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

definitely going to be better than the stock cooler, but not really recommended.

what's the max cooler height of your case?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bcxkr7 this is my current system 

also whats wrong with that cooler why would you not recommend it?

7 minutes ago, LordNewb said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bcxkr7 this is my current system 

also whats wrong with that cooler why would you not recommend it?

It's just a bit too small. nothing inherently wrong with it though. still a good cooler.

Cryorig H7 is just better though, and less than 150mm.

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

It's just a bit too small. nothing inherently wrong with it though. still a good cooler.

Cryorig H7 is just better though, and less than 150mm.

Would it be quiter than the t2 (remember I'm not OCing or anything exotic like that) 

Before buying anything you need to determine which temp reading is accurate BIOS or hwmonitor. Let your pc get up to temp, remove the side panel and very carefully and quickly touch the fins of your cpu heatsink. if it really is 90 you will be able to tell, but if you can touch it for an extended period you know the bios reading is correct.

1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

Before buying anything you need to determine which temp reading is accurate BIOS or hwmonitor. Let your pc get up to temp, remove the side panel and very carefully and quickly touch the fins of your cpu heatsink. if it really is 90 you will be able to tell, but if you can touch it for an extended period you know the bios reading is correct.

Never thought of touching it (maybe because of high reports) but its warm/hot  but not painfully i could hold it for four-five seconds and HW says 101 at the moment and AMD says 2.3 TM

7 minutes ago, LordNewb said:

Would it be quiter than the t2 (remember I'm not OCing or anything exotic like that) 

yes, since it has more surface area.

Desktop:

Laptop:

6 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

4 minutes ago, LordNewb said:

Never thought of touching it (maybe because of high reports) but its warm/hot  but not painfully i could hold it for four-five seconds and HW says 101 at the moment and AMD says 2.3 TM

Well the BIOS reports a super low temperature because the CPU is under almost no load at all.

what are your idle temps in windows? they should be a few degrees above the idle temps in BIOS.

Desktop:

Laptop:

I only have chrome Hw AMD and steam open no games running or anything  and no downloads either and the cpu is still 93 gpu is fine at

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well the BIOS reports a super low temperature because the CPU is under almost no load at all.

what are your idle temps in windows? they should be a few degrees above the idle temps in BIOS.

3 minutes ago, LordNewb said:

I only have chrome Hw AMD and steam open no games running or anything  and no downloads either and the cpu is still 93 gpu is fine at

That's crazy. seems like a false reading.

Desktop:

Laptop:

15 hours ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

looks like hwmonitor is giving false readings, and your bios temps are accurate. if it was 100 it would burn you. try core temp to see if its different to hwmonitor.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

That program won't start; states: "Driver failed to load. This program will not continue."

15 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's crazy. seems like a false reading.

I just booted up for the first time today straight into bios 42 then straight to HW no other programs at all and 82.

15 hours ago, Magma Claw said:

I dont know too much about undervolting but i tried a few times with success although i did go back to normal values as it was too fiddly. I didnt do it through the bios but rather through some software by intel or something, so yeah im no help.  Maybe check some youtube vids?

From what I've seen on youtube all basically go straight core volt and either put an offset or manual off which my motherboard allows me to do neither, I didn't look into the Intel program you stated as I doubt it would be of much use considering its an AMD chip.

16 hours ago, LordNewb said:

But this actually doesn't explain the fan ramping up and down.

18 hours ago, LordNewb said:

I constantly hear my cooler's fan (stock AMD cooler) ramping up and down during gaming

52 minutes ago, LordNewb said:

But this actually doesn't explain the fan ramping up and down.

yes it does, as he said it ramps up during gaming. as the load increases and his actual temp increases so dose his fan speed.