some cinematic questions floating in my head

AniJan

1) A lot of people say a movie depending on too much CGI means it's not good. Why so? 

2) Can considering other plausible and easier solutions in dire situations from movies be an actual factor when criticizing movies?

For example:

*some character doesn't bring his phone when in danger* (general)

Viewer: "Why didn't the character bring his phone? He's in a house with calling reception. He can call the police!"

or

(X-Men: Apocalypse)

*Apocalypse chooses limits the number of followers to 3*

Viewer: "Why would Apocalypse only choose 3 followers instead of more? There isn't anything restraining him from doing so.."

3) A more general question: What are some criticizing factors you should consider when reviewing TV shows, movies, etc?

I love movies, and have taken 2 film classes at uni. My personal belief is that CGI is only worth it, if done correctly IE: the Lego movies, many super hero movies, and any movie that you have to view twice before realizing its CGI. 

My most recent gripe was Wonder Woman; the CGI in that movie was fantastic, but parts where shes flying from rooftop to rooftop and breaking through windows, as it gets into slowmo shots of her doing so was not done right. I get that WB was trying to make those particular shots as if its right out of a comic book (and it rightly looked like it belonged in a comic strip) the audience was still watching a live action film, and it did not fit in with the "realism" of a live action super hero film. So in my opinion, CGI is perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't look like it belongs in a video game from 2003. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

1 hour ago, AniJan said:

1) A lot of people say a movie depending on too much CGI means it's not good. Why so? 

Because it looks fake

2) Can considering other plausible and easier solutions in dire situations from movies be an actual factor when criticizing movies?

For example:

*some character doesn't bring his phone when in danger* (general)

Viewer: "Why didn't the character bring his phone? He's in a house with calling reception. He can call the police!"

or

(X-Men: Apocalypse)

*Apocalypse chooses limits the number of followers to 3*

Viewer: "Why would Apocalypse only choose 3 followers instead of more? There isn't anything restraining him from doing so.."

You cant factor in common sense to movies

3) A more general question: What are some criticizing factors you should consider when reviewing TV shows, movies, etc?

Flow of story