Computer wont get past motherboard loading screen

Ahoy Hoy

Today just went to turn my computer on and now it wont go past the first screen which pops up with the motherboard manufacturers logo. Its been working fine for the past two years. This has come complacently from the blue Ive had no performance or stability issues at all.

There are lights on the motherboard but the number display on the top isnt showing anything.
USB ports are getting power from the motherboard.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: MSI - X99S SLI Krait ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard 
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  
Storage: Kingston - HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Samsung - 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair - RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Have you tried booting up in SAFE mode to see if it will boot completely?  No overclocking?  Try the SAFE mode thing first and then post back here to let us know if it works.

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Have you tried booting up in SAFE mode to see if it will boot completely?  No overclocking?  Try the SAFE mode thing first and then post back here to let us know if it works.

Its not overclocked. Safe mode is a windows thing were not getting that far into the process.

Are you able to get into the BIOS?  Made sure that all cables are secure?  I assume they are considering you said the machine has been working fine the past two years.  How about the battery on the motherboard?  After a couple years of use, it may need to be replaced.  If you do replace it, make sure the new one gets installed with the correct polarity facing the correct direction.  Usually positive is facing down.  I believe the battery is a 2032, bout the size of a nickel.

If the battery is dead, you may not be able to get into the BIOS.

13 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Are you able to get into the BIOS?  Made sure that all cables are secure?  I assume they are considering you said the machine has been working fine the past two years.  How about the battery on the motherboard?  After a couple years of use, it may need to be replaced.  If you do replace it, make sure the new one gets installed with the correct polarity facing the correct direction.  Usually positive is facing down.  I believe the battery is a 2032, bout the size of a nickel.

If the battery is dead, you may not be able to get into the BIOS.

I can get into the BIOS
Just checked all the hardware and its recognised. just restarted it after BIOS and it started up. Fucking windows update starts.

Hmmmm.......   Unable to get into the BIOS.  Not many options left......  Possibly the CMOS battery on the motherboard is dead in which case would just need replacement.  That is the same batter discussed earlier, the 2032.  Wow, not much left to think about.   ......   Possibly a dead motherboard, but of course we hope not.  How about the power supply?  Ever had any problems with the PSU before?  Couple of ways to check the PSU.  First one is to try it in another machine but most of us just don't have a spare pooter lying around...  so...  If you know how to use a voltmeter, you can check the power out on the pins inside the large connector that plugs into the motherboard.  To do that, you must first connect the GREEN and BLACK pins (wires) inside the connector.  These two wires are beside each other so you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.  If you plug in the PSU and jump those two pins (wires) the PSU will come on so that you can check the voltage output of the rest of the pins on the cables.  Check the battery idea first and come back here and let us know what happens.

6 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

I cant get into the BIOS

First thing I would do would be look at the board and see if there is anything visibly wrong with it, just in case.

Then reset CMOS

Then replace CMOS battery if I have one lying around (although I've never had one go bad tbh so I probably wouldn't have one around!)

Next I would start the usual testing - PSU to begin with, if you have a spare one around or anything to test it with, then removing everything (disconnect drives and any peripherals etc) and go from there.

It sounds like a MB or PSU are the most likely culprits though, if none of the CMOS resetting or battery replacing works.

Ha, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.  I'm glad that you got it working.  But going back to the battery thing, if you get a chance sometime you might want to go ahead and replace that battery.  If that battery goes dead, then you will lose all your settings in the BIOS.

14 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Ha, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.  I'm glad that you got it working.  But going back to the battery thing, if you get a chance sometime you might want to go ahead and replace that battery.  If that battery goes dead, then you will lose all your settings in the BIOS.

Your not blind i typod and then edited.

I cleared the CMOS restarted went to BIOS, that seemed fine nothing obvious screaming out to be wrong. Rebooted and it loads up. Few things not working like drivers from stuff but its on. Restart again and while shutting down it crashs. Get the windows unhappy face.  Restart and its working. Little worried at the moment but hopefully it will be fine now.