How to install delete Windows and install Linux

Go to solution Solved by DnFx91,
2 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

I just run the setup but I still have 2 partitions and I only want to have one.

then you didn't read.

That, i cannot help you with.

Unless you wanted linux installed with only 1 partition, which was never going to happen anyway. Obviously theres always going to be a boot partition as well as your home partition.

Hello

I just made a Linux Mint USB device and bootet from it. Now I would like to format the drive with the windows installation which is installed in my PC and change it so it is only one partition. How do I do this?

Thanks for your help!

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Hello

I just made a Linux Mint USB device and bootet from it. Now I would like to format the drive with the windows installation which is installed in my PC and change it so it is only one partition. How do I do this?

Thanks for your help!

you can run gparted from the live mint desktop you are currently booted into, use it to delete all partitions you wanna delete.

Even easier though, if you run the install setup, it will detect you windows install and ask if you want to delete it and reformat, or dual boot using GRUB

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

3 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

-

When you get to the installation of Linux Mint you should get the option to change the partition, you could just in theory just delete all the partition if you're not gonna use Windows or any of the files anyways

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

Welcome to the linux club.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

My 2 cents. Keep the windows partition for now, Linux is not as pink and fluffy as it seems. It will take dedication and determination to stick with it.

So you might wish not to burn the Windows bridge just yet. Speaking from repeated attempts to migrate to Linux.

My most recent annoyance - try creating a shortcut to a folder in linux, Jesus Christ.

If you're just doing a side-project and i'm totally off base - sorry :)

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

10 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

you can run gparted from the live mint desktop you are currently booted into, use it to delete all partitions you wanna delete.

Even easier though, if you run the install setup, it will detect you windows install and ask if you want to delete it and reformat, or dual boot using GRUB

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

then you didn't read.

That, i cannot help you with.

Unless you wanted linux installed with only 1 partition, which was never going to happen anyway. Obviously theres always going to be a boot partition as well as your home partition.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

9 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

My 2 cents. Keep the windows partition for now, Linux is not as pink and fluffy as it seems. It will take dedication and determination to stick with it.

So you might wish not to burn the Windows bridge just yet. Speaking from repeated attempts to migrate to Linux.

My most recent annoyance - try creating a shortcut to a folder in linux, Jesus Christ.

If you're just doing a side-project and i'm totally off base - sorry :)

Well it's really easy... in the command line. "ln -s ~/Pictures ~/Desktop" will create a shortcut to pictures on your desktop.

As far as doing that in GUI goes... I'll give you that one...

What are the 2 partitions exactly? Maybe one of them is for boot loader or uefi?

6 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Well it's really easy... in the command line. "ln -s ~/Pictures ~/Desktop" will create a shortcut to pictures on your desktop.

As far as doing that in GUI goes... I'll give you that one...

Yup, lots of stuff is easy in the command line :( But i'm lazy and really like comfort ^^

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Just now, FIXXX said:

Yup, lots of stuff is easy in the command line :( But i'm lazy and really like comfort ^^

I think I've gotten so used to the command line now (used only linux since February, had to SSH into servers etc) I think some things are just... easier in the command line for me now.

11 hours ago, FIXXX said:

Keep the windows partition for now

I basically had to delete this windows partition. But maybe I will reinstall Windows at some point.

11 hours ago, DnFx91 said:

then you didn't read.

My bad. I wanted to say that I don't want to have a Windows partition next to the Linux one. But thanks for your help, everything worked fine!

12 hours ago, LUUD18 said:

Welcome to the linux club.

Thanks! xD I don't know how long I will use Linux as my main OS. Depends on how useable it is for me when I installed all the programms I need. I hope that all those programms will work on Linux. But I will keep this install, maybe I add Windows as a second OS.

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop: