Get your modem ready to suck down sum Debian 9

SCHISCHKA

Finally!

https://fossbytes.com/debian-linux-9-stretch-released-date-download/

“We plan to release on 2017-06-17. If you want to celebrate it, please consider attending a Debian release party, or hosting your own,” the developers wrote in the mailing list.

As a result, after 3 weeks from now, you’ll be able to download Debian 9.0 or upgrade your older systems to the latest version.

Still using Xserver and Gnome.

I do not think I will be hosting any party for this.

I want to know from Ryzen Linux users if 4.9 is high enough for Ryzen as there were some more kernel advancements for 4.9 but there were some more after 4.9. It is a bit shitty to have AMD release their catch-up CPU so close to the Debian freeze.

I see Debian 9 competing with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Currently Ubuntu 16.04 is at kernel 4.8.

Debian 9 is using kernel 4.9.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.9-Kernel-Highlights

I do not see anything super special in 4.9 to move me from recommending Ubuntu 16.04. I do like Debian; I used it for years before I upgraded my hardware but Ubuntu is just better for new hardware.

if you see something special that Debian 9 has over Ubuntu 16.04 please comment below i will be very interested in your view.

I do not give a shit about the desktop interface!!! Yes I know debian uses gnome and ubuntu uses unity. I personally use ubuntu on my desktop and laptop. I use gnome on ubuntu on my laptop because i just like it. I use unity on my mulit-monitor desktop because unity is better for multiple monitors. I want to know about hardware compatibility and if the difference between 4.8 and 4.9 is significant. 4.8 on Ubuntu 16.04 is really good BTW

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I recently switched from Ubuntu Server 16.04 to Debian 8 and I like it more because it's more lightweight. For desktop application I still use Ubuntu becuase I like the GUI more and the installer is easier.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

18 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

I recently switched from Ubuntu Server 16.04 to Debian 8 and I like it more because it's more lightweight. For desktop application I still use Ubuntu becuase I like the GUI more and the installer is easier.

there is not much diff in memory or cpu use between the desktops of debian (gnome3) and ubuntu (unity).

The next iteration of Ubuntu LTS will be using Gnome3 which will make its difference to debian on a technical level very small.

This post is about Debian 9, not Debian 8.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

there is not much diff in memory or cpu use between the desktops of debian (gnome3) and ubuntu (unity).

The next iteration of Ubuntu LTS will be using Gnome3 which will make its difference to debian on a technical level very small.

This post is about Debian 9, not Debian 8.

I thought it was more Ubuntu vs Debian. 

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

4 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

weeeeeeee debian

though I might switch to something arch-based

why arch and not Fedora? I ditched arch years ago when they stuffed up compatibility between Xserver version, GPU drivers, and kernel version. I cant have that down time and do my job. At the time I was a web developer and Debian was my saviour for a stable kernel that I could use to host my virtual machine and ecetera. Actually GPU drivers is what has kept me in the Debian camp. Fedora is quite good on my laptop that uses intel GPU.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

I thought it was more Ubuntu vs Debian. 

it is. 4.8 vs 4.9. Ubuntu will be releasing a new LTS next year. Im interested in people telling me if Debian 9 has anything over Ubuntu 16.04. I dont know what Ubuntu 18.04 will use, but I am likely to purchase a ryzen CPU so I do want to know if Debian 9 is good enough. As far as the organisation behind the OS is structured; I like the goal and mission statement of Debian, but I actually find that Ubuntu is a bit more democratic just because of the way that users voices are heard and the engagement. Debian is a bit archaic and you cannot just jump on the website and start voting for shit like you can with Ubuntu.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Tibbles said:

I haven't actually tried fedora, mainly because it never caught my interest.

well here is one plus: it is not shit to get going on it. Im about to try out the security lab, its got some of the things i install manually so it will be an interesting point of discussion at the next linux users group meeting.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

ill try dualbooting debian tomorrow next to my ubuntu 16.04 LTS install.

I might try it out when CrunchBangPlusPlus or BunsenLabs rolls out a release based on it.

-KuJoe