Dishonored 2 cracked by SteamPunks, could mean end of denuvo's current itteration.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Have it tied to a unique signature from the serial key. Duplicate = trololo 

I'm sure they can think of some interesting way to make sure it's genuine.

Which would, by necessity, require DRM.  That would imply online activation, which is what services like Denuvo do currently.  How would what you suggested be any different?

Just now, Jito463 said:

Which would, by necessity, require DRM.  That would imply online activation, which is what services like Denuvo do currently.  How would what you suggested be any different?

To be honest I don't entirely object to DRM's if they don't affect the gameplay. By which I mean, they don't cost CPU cycles and the service that checks the validity has impeccable uptime. Not like Hitman where the DRM fails all the time.

I will just quote one of my favorite youtubers regarding the DRMs: "(Software producers) Stop treating your legitimate customers like they are thieves and criminals".

Or in translation, DRM should not be there to interfere with the usage of your software. It should be in the background and you should not be aware that there is something there. I've seen some cases where people used pirated versions of the software although they have licensed one as well just because DRM was causing headache for them (some VST plugins, don't remember the names)

On 6/13/2017 at 0:28 PM, Majestic said:

To be honest I don't entirely object to DRM's if they don't affect the gameplay. By which I mean, they don't cost CPU cycles and the service that checks the validity has impeccable uptime. Not like Hitman where the DRM fails all the time.

DRM can be as simple as a key.  However, some games want checking to be able to store your profile.  Storing your profile on their own servers prevents private manipulation of a profile, which can lead to cheating.  So there is some advantage.  Is it always necessary?  Of course not.  Games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein had a private key, and then you could create an online profile for the multiplayer.  Later on, they made the multiplayer a free game.  There are times where checkin is nice, but totally not necessary for solo player games.  

Again, it has its place, but it is WAAAY overboard.

On 6/13/2017 at 7:47 PM, Niksa said:

I will just quote one of my favorite youtubers regarding the DRMs: "(Software producers) Stop treating your legitimate customers like they are thieves and criminals".

Or in translation, DRM should not be there to interfere with the usage of your software. It should be in the background and you should not be aware that there is something there. I've seen some cases where people used pirated versions of the software although they have licensed one as well just because DRM was causing headache for them (some VST plugins, don't remember the names)

I remember playing WoW and TF2 at the time and buying X3:Reunion. Shit had one of the really nasty variants of Starforce on it. Dropped my FPS in those two games by 20-30 fps each even when X3 wasn't open. That was certainly a fun time diagnosing since that shit remained on your computer even after you uninstalled X3. Had to use a custom tool to remove it.

9 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

one of the really nasty variants of Starforce on it.

*snip*

Had to use a custom tool to remove it.

Yeah, Starforce was one of - if not the - absolute worst DRM systems out there.  Thankfully, it finally went away.  People who think DRMs like Denuvo are bad, have never had to deal with SF.

I think the port was bad at first but it's since been ironed out as it plays fine on my GTX 970 with I5-2500K on High Preset. I didn't test Ultra. I don't get any terrible slowdowns or anything like that.