Fender Jazz Bass Restoration Log

spwath

So I picked up this fender jazz bass, for an amazing price of $100. These things sell for about $600 new. However, it was in sorry condition. Here it is exactly as I got it.

WP_20170603_21_08_31_Pro[1].jpg

More pics:

Spoiler

WP_20170603_21_08_37_Pro[1].jpgWP_20170603_21_08_43_Pro[1].jpgWP_20170603_21_08_58_Pro[1].jpg 

Looking up the serial number, it appears to be from 1992-1993. The electronics (potentiometers and capacitor) need replacing, but the pickups are fine. The body is in not great condition.

I ordered new electronics, and stripped down the body for cleaning.

Here it is, pre cleaning:

Spoiler

WP_20170604_00_24_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.accda090aafa3e5135e06404a9a5766c.jpg

And that's it for now. Stay tuned for updates

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

That's pretty cool, someone at my school is building an electric guitar out of wood in our wood shop class.

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

That's pretty cool, someone at my school is building an electric guitar out of wood in our wood shop class.

um....... you sure you don't live in upstate NY???? I know someone named Daniel Z and somone at my school is building an electric guitar out of wood in our wood shop class...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

um....... you sure you don't live in upstate NY???? I know someone named Daniel Z and somone at my school is building an electric guitar out of wood in our wood shop class...

wtf. I am in BC in Canada lol

wtf. I am in BC in Canada lol

That's so weird. Whats the persons name who is building the guitar? Mines is Anthony.

To me the dings and scratches make it look better. Always felt basses looked better damaged. Hope you can get the parts fixed. Curious on how it sounds. 

Just now, spwath said:

That's so weird. Whats the persons name who is building the guitar? Mines is Anthony.

idk his name

Just now, tp95112 said:

To me the dings and scratches make it look better. Always felt basses looked better damaged. Hope you can get the parts fixed. Curious on how it sounds. 

at least better than the $100 costco instruments. Every music shop refuses to repair the $100 clarinets lol

Just now, tp95112 said:

Yeah, I like them too. But some of that stuff on it isn't scratches and dings, its dirt and tape residue. So I'm just giving it a good cleaning.

I should be able to fix it, its pretty simple, just 3 potentiometers and a capacitor. Hopefully it sounds better than my fender squire bass.

Just now, RGProductions said:

I'm a wind guy, but if I wan't I'd be a bass guy.

I play cello, but I'm learning bass. Luckily, not that different, just different strings, further stretch, and different technique

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

I'm a wind guy, but if I wan't I'd be a bass guy.

which instrument? I play alto sax in my school band

which instrument? I play alto sax in my school band

Tenor sax. Although if you gimme a few weeks i could probably pick up any woodwind minus the flute :)

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Tenor sax. Although if you gimme a few weeks i could probably pick up any woodwind minus the flute :)

nice! my tone and reading is really good but my breathing sucks. Which reeds? I use Vandoren Traditional 2.5 and am transitioning to Rico Reserve 3.5

nice! my tone and reading is really good but my breathing sucks. Which reeds? I use Vandoren Traditional 2.5 and am transitioning to Rico Reserve 3.5

Vandoren ZZ in 3. Although I don't really like them. They were out blue box :)

Vandoren ZZ in 3. Although I don't really like them. They were out blue box :)

oh, I used to use Rico Royals but their consistency sucked. A box of Royals for me was like 8 crap reeds and 2 excellent ones. 

oh, I used to use Rico Royals but their consistency sucked. A box of Royals for me was like 8 crap reeds and 2 excellent ones. 

The ZZ is odd for me. too much inconsistency for my taste, and I think I need to learn to adjust to a 2.5. I came from clarinet, so my embouchure is really tight, making low notes difficult.

The ZZ is odd for me. too much inconsistency for my taste, and I think I need to learn to adjust to a 2.5. I came from clarinet, so my embouchure is really tight, making low notes difficult.

I used to be able to play excellently on the 3.5s but 2 weeks spring break=rip my embouchure. 

I used to be able to play excellently on the 3.5s but 2 weeks spring break=rip my embouchure. 

Ah. Just the harder end of the 3s are so hard I can't drop my jaw low enough for anything below g

Ah. Just the harder end of the 3s are so hard I can't drop my jaw low enough for anything below g

oh, my high notes are pretty good, I can play high f consistenly but f# with the key is like 75 good but 25 fail. Low notes are harder for me, but i can get low b flat

I don't know anything about this, but I love to see people fixing up things. I will 100% follow this :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

After a lot........ of scrubing and cleaning, it actually looks really good. Now I just need to wait for potentiometers to arrive.

That duct tape was not fun to scrub off...

Spoiler

WP_20170604_15_23_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.1d460f49d58958ff213e6d89f9d87dcb.jpgWP_20170604_15_22_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.935167396c33c21b3152ce55282702bc.jpg

And, I put the stuff back on it.

WP_20170604_15_58_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.b37cd7fbd4d2e8f0e8b2f122f78c377d.jpg

Put the neck on, now just waiting on strings and electronics. Surprising this cost only $100.

WP_20170604_20_58_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.7e6c1ff7708645be5d14291f9c45cce7.jpg

Spoiler

WP_20170604_20_58_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.d56a19ec5a9761cb6bbccb8735717545.jpg

10 hours ago, Niksa said:

Which potentiometers did you order? I mean which brand?

I don't remember, just some good ones on didgikey.