How to go about making a portable eGPU?

How would one go about making a portable eGPU for a laptop?

I have an old laptop that does not have a Thunderbolt or USB Type-C port that I can use for an external Graphics Card solution. I cannot afford a laptop with a GTX 1050 (poor college student here), but I would like to play games on the 8 hour bus ride to and from my house during breaks. College tuition takes all my money and thus will not have any for a laptop in the near or intermediate future.

I found two solutions which use the Mini PCIe port used by the WiFi adapter inside my laptop. The first I modified in an attempt to make it portable, but since I do not know anything about batteries, wattage, amps, etc., I am wary of this one. The second solution is non-portable, and while it seems easier, the power cord would not plug into the power outlets in the bus I take. Both solutions are below. I welcome any help and suggestions for either solution. The specs for my laptop will come after the solutions.

If I were to follow through with either solution, I would buy the cheapest GTX 1050 at the time of purchase.

Solution 1 from

Total: $104.26

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Solution 2 from

Total: $105.44

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Laptop: ASUS X551MAV-EB01-B

CPU: Intel Celeron N2830

GPU: Intel Integrated Graphics

RAM: DDR3 4 GB @ 1600 MHz

HDD: None

SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240 GB

Screen: 15.6" 1366x768 Led Display

EDIT:

First, I would like to thank everyone who has contriubuted to this post thus far. It has helped steer my search for an eGPU.

Second, I realize the difficulty of making an eGPU and how finicky it can be to get working. I read through many forum posts online about people having a hard time setting things up with "error 43" being the most prevalent problem. But I am still determined to research and maybe try the solution out on my own. What sort of PC enthusiaist would I be if I didn't do something because it was "too hard" or "too finicky"? 

With this said, here's my 3rd solution to those still willing to humor my stubborn request for advice on making an eGPU:

Solution 3

Total: $114.25

Same question: would this work? This site (https://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html) indicates that the dock would work through the 12v DC input,but I haven't been able to find examples of this online. I am thinking of going with Solution 3 because the bus I take home during breaks only has 2 prong power outlets, and the YUNDA laptop charger has 2 prongs.

Edited by reftyuy

how much budget do you have

$800 gets you a 1050Ti and an i5 laptop

a portable eGPU is just hard to do and really fiddly. 

idk

The first solution isn't going to work for portability. The battery doesn't supply enough power, as the picture says 12V/3A maximum, which is 36W.

The thing I have with the second solution is if the pinouts on the power supply match up with the one in the PCIe converter thing. Unless you can find a schematic, it's not worth getting.

So basically, you're kind of SOL, and that's before the finicky bit about getting an external GPU setup to work.

11 minutes ago, reftyuy said:

poor college student here

make some money on the side...???...???

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

The thing I have with the second solution is if the pinouts on the power supply match up with the one in the PCIe converter thing. Unless you can find a schematic, it's not worth getting.

They do, it's a common setup. It plugs into the GDC Beast dock and gives 75W for slot + 6pin

idk

get a small DC-DC PSU, and then a laptop charger that can supply ~75W or whatever the 1050 actiually draws and plug it in like that, wouldent take up much more space then the GPU and charger together basically

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 hours ago, Droidbot said:

how much budget do you have

$800 gets you a 1050Ti and an i5 laptop

a portable eGPU is just hard to do and really fiddly. 

I know that $800 could get me the best portable solution I'm looking for, but sadly I cannot go for it. I have no budget for a laptop. The only reason I am pursuing the eGPU solution is because I am poor and will not have money for a laptop until 2019 or 2020. My college expenses consume nearly all the money I make during the year (on-campus job and summer job), and the next couple of years will have more expenses like a car, increased tuition and housing costs, and graduate school costs if I decide to go.

19 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The first solution isn't going to work for portability. The battery doesn't supply enough power, as the picture says 12V/3A maximum, which is 36W.

So basically, you're kind of SOL, and that's before the finicky bit about getting an external GPU setup to work.

Well said.

19 hours ago, Pendragon said:

make some money on the side...???...???

If only it were that easy. I attend a $60k+ private college almost entirely through scholarships and a $4,500 direct subsidized loan from the federal government. This usually leaves $3,500 left for me to cover through my summer and on-campus job. However, this year I must pay nearly $5,000 because my roommates and I couldn't get a regular three man room. Instead, we got a three person suite, and as a result, we must individually pay $1,500 more. I manage my own finances and figured I will not be done paying for the upcoming school year until February 2018, and even then I have to start saving for Senior year since the seniors are only allowed to live in the senior apartments (aka the most expensive housing on campus).

So yeah, getting a job wouldn't help me at the moment seeing as I already have one.

17 minutes ago, reftyuy said:

If only it were that easy. I attend a $60k+ private college almost entirely through scholarships and a $4,500 direct subsidized loan from the federal government. This usually leaves $3,500 left for me to cover through my summer and on-campus job. However, this year I must pay nearly $5,000 because my roommates and I couldn't get a regular three man room. Instead, we got a three person suite, and as a result, we must individually pay $1,500 more. I manage my own finances and figured I will not be done paying for the upcoming school year until February 2018, and even then I have to start saving for Senior year since the seniors are only allowed to live in the senior apartments (aka the most expensive housing on campus).

So yeah, getting a job wouldn't help me at the moment seeing as I already have one.

Getting a full summer internship at a good firm (eg. P&G) pays about 16k per summer. You can make money off the side helping people write resumes (about $100-$150 a pop), there are online sites that pay people who have the best proposals (about $1000 per win). Save, save ,save and put all of it into ETFs that grow. If you want to actively trade, use multiple trading platforms eg. Robinhood to trade, eTrade for the analytics. Cut out luxuries that you don't need.

If you're entirely on scholarship I assume you're a tier 1 student already, so this really isn't hard to comprehend, and getting companies to hire you shouldn't be difficult either. People will pay for a deans list student to write them shit. 

It's not about whether you have a job or jobs. It's how much do they pay per hour and how effectively you use those hours to get paid. There's a balance of academics, extracurricular and professional tasks you need to manage. If you're struggling to make 5k + whatever you want to spend, consider alternatives that pay more. Likewise if you're getting paid like 7k a month (consulting/ibanking internships), but leave 0 room for anything else, consider what you want out of life. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

3 hours ago, Snikerdoodlz said:

What is this bus that your are taking?

The Greyhound bus line

6 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Getting a full summer internship at a good firm (eg. P&G) pays about 16k per summer. You can make money off the side helping people write resumes (about $100-$150 a pop), there are online sites that pay people who have the best proposals (about $1000 per win). Save, save ,save and put all of it into ETFs that grow. If you want to actively trade, use multiple trading platforms eg. Robinhood to trade, eTrade for the analytics. Cut out luxuries that you don't need.

If you're entirely on scholarship I assume you're a tier 1 student already, so this really isn't hard to comprehend, and getting companies to hire you shouldn't be difficult either. People will pay for a deans list student to write them shit. 

It's not about whether you have a job or jobs. It's how much do they pay per hour and how effectively you use those hours to get paid. There's a balance of academics, extracurricular and professional tasks you need to manage. If you're struggling to make 5k + whatever you want to spend, consider alternatives that pay more. Likewise if you're getting paid like 7k a month (consulting/ibanking internships), but leave 0 room for anything else, consider what you want out of life. 

Ok, I'll look into some of your suggestions for making more money.

8 hours ago, reftyuy said:

The Greyhound bus line

I'm pretty sure that buses don't support using high-powered electronics like an eGPU. One time my brother and a friend both plugged their laptops into the power outlets of a bus and they blew the circuit because it's not intended to power those; it's only good for small electronics like phones and e-readers and such.

9 hours ago, Snikerdoodlz said:

I'm pretty sure that buses don't support using high-powered electronics like an eGPU. One time my brother and a friend both plugged their laptops into the power outlets of a bus and they blew the circuit because it's not intended to power those; it's only good for small electronics like phones and e-readers and such.

That's strange. My friend and I did the same thing and nothing happened. 

On 5/28/2017 at 4:53 PM, reftyuy said:

That's strange. My friend and I did the same thing and nothing happened. 

Huh. It must vary between buses.