What are your favorite Consoles / Games

I'm curious what you guys call your favorites along with your favorite games for said console.

-AM I A SQUID OR AM I A KID ? ? ? 

Gameboy Color.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Nintendo 3DS/DS and Gameboy(all of them) with pokemon being my favourite.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PS2 with Battlefront II (play it more on my PC now). Though I wouldn't complain about a new PS4 with the new EA Battlefront 2. 

EDIT: and I used to play Lego Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and such on our Nintendo DS. But my sibs messed up the touch screen and I have better devices now, so....

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

The console I spent the most time on was one at uni. They were old. We had to do a somewhat straight forward assembly programming assignment on the old 1980s style crt terminals and embedded computers. I did not know there was only one in the room that worked correctly. This is why it is my favourite console and why I spent so much time on it. I can't remember what the game was. Might have been a game of life simulator.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

PSP: Little Big Planet, GTA LCS

PS3: Gran Turismo 5 (ditched my PS3 when 6 was released), Little Big Planet 2, Sports Champion, Saints Row 3, PS Home (Home Tycoon mostly and occasionally Bowling in the hub)

Nintendo DSi, PS2. Pokémon Pearl version and Ratchet : Gladiator (Deadlocked in the US.)

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

All the PS series PS 1,2,3 and 4. Also had great time with Sony PSP First generation.

The Super Nintendo/Super Famicom (especially the Super Famicom).

USA-SNES_-_JPN-SuperFamicom.png

My all time was probably the PS2.

I loved the Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series. :x

18 hours ago, linkboy said:

The Super Nintendo/Super Famicom (especially the Super Famicom).

Can you recommend any games for Super Famicom that weren't on Super Nintendo and don't require you to read Japanese? I love the Super NES, that's probably my favorite console ever.

My top 3 would be

1. Super NES

Favorite Games: Zelda A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Castlevania IV, Final Fantasy II & III (really IV and VI), Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Actraiser, F-Zero, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II Turbo, Earthworm Jim 2, Donkey Kong Country

2. NES

Favorite Games: Super Mario Bros 1-3, Ninja Gaiden, Mike Tyson's Punchout, Castlevania 1 & 3, Zelda 1, Metroid, River City Ransom, Ducktales, Tecmo Super Bowl, Battletoads, Tetris, Contra, Super Dodge Ball

3. PS4

Favorite Games: Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Nioh

Xbox 360 = The Legend of Spyro Dawn of the Dragon

PS3 = The Last of Us

Console Exclusive All = Red Dead Redemption

Best multiplayer fighters = Capcom vs Marvel and Naruto Ninja Storm

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I don't really have favourites consoles. The platforms are less important to me than the games.

I only really like a handful of games from each platform, so I have a bunch of consoles.

I guess it would be cool to be able to consolidate the games to a single platform, but nothing really seems reliable enough to do that yet (Retron 5 has port failure issues and doesn't support games released on optical media).

I think I'll probably look into emulation at some point but at the moment all of my games are original physical copies (if they got a physical release) and I play them on the original hardware.

There are a few more I need to get for each, but here's my collection [Edit: actually there were too many to list all of them but here are a few]  (I don't have anything on my shelves I don't fully intend to play or re-play at some point, I don't collect for collecting's sake, or fill my shelves with junk that I'd never be able to play through even if I were to live to be three-hundred)...

Not in any specific order and not complete yet:

GBA

Racing Gears
Medal of Honor Infiltrator

Kuru Kuru Kururin (play on Gameboy Player for use of the joystick)
Monster House (fantastic game that inspired me to pick up a Famicom to play Sweet Home)
Konami Arcade Classics
Mario Kart Super Circuit

Mario V.s Donkey Kong
Moto Racer Advance
Super Mario Ball (people hate this one but I think it's pretty cool)
TMNT (the third Turtles game on the GBA, just titled TMNT (avoid the first two)

Irridion II
V-Rally 3
GT Advance (the Japanese version "AdvanceGTA" is identical apart from it has battery saves instead of a password save system)
GT Advance 3

There are other titles I want to look at but not until I pick up an everdrive for the system...I'm sick of trawling review sites and tracking down eBay copies on the offchance I'll enjoy the stuff.

GBC

Top Gear Rally 2 (The Japanese version "Top Gear Pocket 2" is identical but has a rumble-pack cartridge feature and different packaging)

Gameboy (I need to pick up a Krikzz Everdrive GB to look at this system's library. I'm through trawling wikipedia lists and review sites for this stuff)
Far from complete but so far:

Trax
Battle Bull

Famicom (Imported from Japan; reached me via a guy in Sweden iirc)

Sweet Home (the game I picked the system up to play...I've got the fan-translation flashed to a donor cartridge)

Now I have the Famicom I'm tempted to pick up an Everdrive for this system also...there are two or three other games I at least want to look at.

Actually I can't list them all, they amount to a couple of hundred probably.

But the other systems I have:  Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii-U, DS, 3DS/New3DS & PSP.

I don't yet have a PS4, Switch or Xbox One as I've got other stuff prioritised and I typically buy consoles when the prices come down, and buy games retrospectively.   

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

21 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

...snip...

PS3 = The Last of Us

...snip...

As an Xbox1 user, I'm envious of this exclusive. Last Of Us is a GREAT title. Fun to watch on YT. As a science teacher, the premise is terrifying & plausible. artistic license aside, I use this premise as a case study in my grade 9 sustainable ecosystem class (heavily edited so that I don't get into trouble). 

3 minutes ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

Yes it is very good, so is Dead Island but it isn't as polished as TLoU, I'm a PC only gamer so I do miss a couple of titles every then and when, for instance I've been waiting for Final Fantasy XV really impatiently, not worth paying for a console for 1 ~ 2 titles, if they don't get a PC Port I just shrug...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

GameCube, easily. Too bad the Component/D-Terminal cables cost way too much for them.

My favorite game on the GameCube would likely have to be Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Honestly like it more than MK8.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

-Sega Mega Drive

Road Rash 2

Sonic 1, 2, 3

Aladdin

Altered Beast

Golden Axe

-SNES

Zelda link to the past

Super Mario World

Chrono Trigger

Donkey Kong Country

-Wii.

Super Mario Galaxy 1, 2

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Super Mario Bros Wii

Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

GameCube, easily. Too bad the Component/D-Terminal cables cost way too much for them.

My favorite game on the GameCube would likely have to be Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Honestly like it more than MK8.

The more old consoles you have the more sense it makes to pick up a CRT ;) 

2010-10-09_02-58-58_517.thumb.jpg.55117f31a788738b2ed7ff2855cfee88.jpg

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

The more old consoles you have the more sense it makes to pick up a CRT ;) 

Honestly, the GameCube is one of those consoles where it'd make sense to use a modern television.

Also, modifications for the Digital AV Out port are coming out that allow you to use an HDMI cable with it.

12 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Honestly, the GameCube is one of those consoles where it'd make sense to use a modern television.

Also, modifications for the Digital AV Out port are coming out that allow you to use an HDMI cable with it.

Sorry...just typed out a whole response to that and lost it through a glitch...give me a second.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

There's just something about firing up 1080 Avelanch (or SSX3 for that matter (and quite a few others)) and seeing the sunlight emerging from behind the peaks. It's an affect you only really get with a the incandescence of a CRT; and an effect that the games are designed to exploit. Flat screens just can't re-create it.

Games like Scaler have fantastic particle effects and black-light style lighting effects that really take advantage of the phosphorescence of a CRT (and one I almost certainly wouldn't own if not for it). Oddworld: Strangers Wrath is a game I'd take in standard definition on CRT rather than the High Def flat-panel version every time...it looks fantastic on CRT.

Stuff like the lighting effects in the first scene in this video look great on CRT but just don't seem to make sense on flat panels (time-indexed link) https://youtu.be/t_ZNAGERQJU?t=13

It's a shame people only use CRTs for 8 & 16 bit gaming...they should just use scan-line generators and relinquish the CRTs to people who are going to make use of them where they really count (but that's just my opinion).

4 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

There's just something about firing up 1080 Avelanch (or SSX3 for that matter (and quite a few others)) and seeing the sunlight emerging from behind the peaks. It's an affect you only really get with a the incandescence of a CRT; and an effect that the games are designed to exploit. Flat screens just can't re-create it.

Games like Scalar have fantastic particle effects and black-light style lighting effects that really take advantage of the phosphorescence of a CRT. Oddworld: Strangers Wrath is a game I'd take in standard definition on CRT rather than the High Def flat-panel version every time...it looks fantastic on CRT.

Stuff like the lighting effects in the first scene in this video look great on CRT but just don't seem to make sense on flat panels (time-indexed link) https://youtu.be/t_ZNAGERQJU?t=13

It's a shame people only use CRTs for 8 & 16 bit gaming...they should just use scan-line generators and relinquish the CRTs to people who are going to make use of them where they really count (but that's just my opinion).

True, there are games that took advantage of the nature of CRTs even in the sixth generation, but personally it's very meh.

I don't use scan lines. Personally I prefer the original and cleanest output I can get.

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

True, there are games that took advantage of the nature of CRTs even in the sixth generation, but personally it's very meh.

I don't use scan lines. Personally I prefer the original and cleanest output I can get.

I guess it's a matter of taste...as long as it doesn't effect the gameplay it's not a huge deal but I just really like the output from CRT's 

I used to use a scan line generator before I got the CRT...there's a lot of shadow the grille pitch / aperture masks add to the image that provide their own kind of anti-aliasing and add a lot of black to the image...without it the colour just tends to be a little off from how it's intended to look...graphics in, for instance, Dreamcast games can just look really really horrendous without scan-lines, but it's mostly in the still imagery and load and menu screen graphics that it's most apparent.