3 Pin fan header to 4 Pin molex

ZippitZippo

Hey guys,

I was just looking at the "Phobya 4Pin Molex to 9x 3Pin Fan Splitter PCB" and I saw that you had to use a 4 Pin Molex to connect the splitter. I was wondering, would I be able to use a 3 Pin fan header on my motherboard, and have some sort of 3 Pin to 4 Pin molex adapter, using speedfan to control voltages?

Spoiler

1011222.jpg

Regards,

Jack

No, as the fan header can't output the current needed for all the fans, as the most you could get away with is 2 fans on a header, if you need anymore fans as well as the ability to control them you'll have to look at a dedicated fan controller.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

19 hours ago, ashypanda said:

No, as the fan header can't output the current needed for all the fans, as the most you could get away with is 2 fans on a header, if you need anymore fans as well as the ability to control them you'll have to look at a dedicated fan controller.

Just curious on how JayzTwoCents did it then, as it looks like he is doing the same thing.

chrome_2017-05-23_17-44-28.png

Thats basically fan hub meant for powering fans. No control or monitoring. Molex doesn't have wire for rpm and looks like hub doesn't have cable for getting info to mobo. Look at some other powered hub if you want to use mobo as control.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv