Is running cpu and case fans at full speed going to damage them?

workstationguy

Hi, I just bought Noctua AF-14 Industrial PWM 3000. I set them at full speed on bios. Apparently CPU temp decreased by 10-12 celcius. But the noise is extremely loud. Even 10 time louder than my air conditioning compressor.

But it's not the noise that I'm concern, because they are workstation that I use it as a server and I leave them at full speed when I'm away from computer.

Is running fans this loud going to damage them or potentially harm my power supply/mainboard? 

But they are not running at 3000 rmp anyway they are shown 2400-2600 on aida and bios.

It's crazy loud, I always have feeling that fans can be shattered at any given time.

Just now, workstationguy said:

Hi, I just bought Noctua AF-14 Industrial PWM 3000. I set them at full speed on bios. Apparently CPU temp decreased by 10-12 celcius. But the noise is extremely loud. Even 10 time louder than my air conditioning compressor.

But it's not the noise that I'm concern, because they are workstation that I use it as a server and I leave them at full speed when I'm away from computer.

Is running fans this loud going to damage them or potentially harm my power supply/mainboard? 

But they are not running at 3000 rmp anyway they are shown 2400-2600 on aida and bios.

Guessing you got the IP 52's. Believe it or not those fans are designed for those sorts of environments (Industrial isn't just a marketing ploy)

The short answer is yes. Those fans will wear out quicker running at maximum revs, but that is going to be the case with any case fans. It isn't grounds for concern and your warranty is still valid. It isn't going to damage any other components.

If you're still  worried and want to upgrade them the only thing better for that environment is probably delta's. Be aware that those things start at 5000 rpm and make a hell of a racket.

2 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

Thanks, I will try delta's. Havent heard of the company before.

Fans are designed and tested to run at rated voltage. For iPPC that is either 12V or 24V. Plus their rated max rpm is 3k so... If you would be providing voltage higher than rated, then they wouldn't last as long. Lower than rated, probably nothing. And if you think about noise, 3k rpm is about 1k faster than what Intels stock cooler fans run.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 5/17/2017 at 5:42 PM, workstationguy said:

Loudness has nothing to do with it. Fans are designed to run at their rated rpm at 100%.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.