Advice on Selling my GTX 1070

So a while back, I finally made the switch from console to PC and actually built my own system for the first time. And since the GPU driving it all was the GTX 1070 Superclocked by EVGA, I also expressed a desire to upgrade my monitor. My intention was to simply get a second 1080p monitor, though with a 144hz refresh rate. Instead, I'm unexpectedly gifted a brand-new 4K display, the ASUS MG24UQ. Unsurprisingly, I immediately fell in love with it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I was shocked by the difference in image quality even in programs as simply and visually bland as MS Word.

However, the shameless graphics whore part of my brain is now in full effect, because now that I've actually seen what games can look like in 4K, playing them in 1080p on my new monitor makes them look annoyingly blurry, and the GTX 1070 has thus far proven incapable of hitting a stable 60fps at 4K even with the settings dialed down massively, and on older games to boot! Both Mass Effect 3 and Alan Wake were basically unplayable when I dialed the resolution up to 4K, and that honestly drives me a bit crazy. :P So now that Nvidia has released the GTX 1080ti, I've been very seriously considering making the upgrade. However, I can really only justify this upgrade if I sell my current 1070, and since I'm still incredibly new to the whole custom PC/PC Gaming world, I have utterly no idea how to go about this or what kind of price I can reasonably ask.

Anyone have any tips/advice to offer?

find the lowest retail price and minus a little bit, see prices around you, etc

I'd say $260-270USD is a fair price for it

idk

10 minutes ago, TheGamingPhoenix said:

So a while back, I finally made the switch from console to PC and actually built my own system for the first time. And since the GPU driving it all was the GTX 1070 Superclocked by EVGA, I also expressed a desire to upgrade my monitor. My intention was to simply get a second 1080p monitor, though with a 144hz refresh rate. Instead, I'm unexpectedly gifted a brand-new 4K display, the ASUS MG24UQ. Unsurprisingly, I immediately fell in love with it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I was shocked by the difference in image quality even in programs as simply and visually bland as MS Word.

However, the shameless graphics whore part of my brain is now in full effect, because now that I've actually seen what games can look like in 4K, playing them in 1080p on my new monitor makes them look annoyingly blurry, and the GTX 1070 has thus far proven incapable of hitting a stable 60fps at 4K even with the settings dialed down massively, and on older games to boot! Both Mass Effect 3 and Alan Wake were basically unplayable when I dialed the resolution up to 4K, and that honestly drives me a bit crazy. :P So now that Nvidia has released the GTX 1080ti, I've been very seriously considering making the upgrade. However, I can really only justify this upgrade if I sell my current 1070, and since I'm still incredibly new to the whole custom PC/PC Gaming world, I have utterly no idea how to go about this or what kind of price I can reasonably ask.

Anyone have any tips/advice to offer?

Something is wrong if your 1070 can't hit 60FPS in Alan Wake, only yesterday I was playing Prey with everything maxxed out (no AA though) at 4K and was sitting in the 40+ fps range.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 minutes ago, TheGamingPhoenix said:

-snip-

The most recent used 1070 I bought was $330, that was a EVGA FTW card. However, if EVGA B-stock has a sale, seen them as low as $300.

I'd try $350 and if it doesn't sell, start knocking down the price...of course you could ebay it / start a bid war.

Check "Sold Listings" on eBay, this will give you a reasonable point of reference for not only what's fair, but what stupid internet people are willing to pay.

8 minutes ago, _bandoracer_ said:

Check "Sold Listings" on eBay, this will give you a reasonable point of reference for not only what's fair, but what stupid internet people are willing to pay.

Speaking of which, would you recommend eBay as the method I should use to sell this card?

I'd recommend craigslist, you may have to deal with people trying to low ball you (like cry baby Linus (see scrapyard wars if you don't know what I'm talking about)) but typically it's real easy to work out a public meet up and trade stuff for cash

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I would try to sell it soon. Computex is just a few weeks away, and Vega might be officially revealed then, thus causing a potential price drop in Nvidia cards.

17 hours ago, TheGamingPhoenix said:

Speaking of which, would you recommend eBay as the method I should use to sell this card?

I have used eBay a number of times for selling old hardware, it's generally pretty consistent in pricing. Just make sure you're comfortable shipping the card. 

17 hours ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

I would try to sell it soon. Computex is just a few weeks away, and Vega might be officially revealed then, thus causing a potential price drop in Nvidia cards.

i think the 1070 will remain in its respective price bracket even if vega isn't that good. 

1 hour ago, Technicolors said:

i think the 1070 will remain in its respective price bracket even if vega isn't that good. 

Maybe. Maybe not. I would still try to sell it in the next few weeks, while prices are stable. After Computex, the used value can only go down. Staying where it is right now is a best case scenario.