Ethernet stopped working on new build WITH DRIVERS INSTALLED??

TLDR I built a new computer and installed windows 10, my motherboard didn't need lan drivers to connect to internet with ethernet cable. I formatted my drives and reinstalled windows a few times (for an unrelated reason), afterwards, it wouldn't connect without drivers like before. I installed drivers, still nothing. The ethernet icon in the taskbar has a warning sign, if I troubleshoot (see ** below for the errors it returns) 2wice back to back, it will give me different results each time, and doesn't fix the issue either way. I've rebooted my router, made sure I have the right drivers, wiped the drive and reinstalled windows, reset bios.... still nothing.

I've just built a new pc, and got it all up and working and everything, booting into bios fine and all parts running good...

So then I installed windows. It's windows 10 home 64 bit, and I got into it and everything, to which I saw that I didn't even need to install my motherboard (ASUS Z97-A)'s lan drivers as when I plugged in the ethernet cable it automatically connected.

Although, I didn't go right ahead and start installing all other drivers and such, I actually ended up going through again and formatting my drives and reinstalling windows about 5 more times, due to a number of reasons, none very relevant.

Anyways, when I was finally done, on this 5th time installing windows now, I went to plug in my ethernet cable, to find that my motherboard now did NOT automatically connect like before! So I just brushed it aside and installed the lan drivers, but for some reason, it still didn't connect.

I've checked that the ethernet cable works, rebooted my router many times, scoured the mobo site and made sure the drivers I'm installing are correct, made sure the local area connection and ethernet is turned on and everything, turned my motherboard bios to default... I have no clue what the fuck to do.

**For some reason, when I have the cable plugged in, my computer knows it's there, it's just that on the taskbar the ethernet icon has the warning sign on it. I right click and troubleshoot problems, and it delivers me no clear answer, sometimes it says it's fixed everything and the warning sign disappears, but I still can't connect, sometimes it returns some issue with the default gateway, sometimes it says there's a problem with the connection between the router/modem and my computer, sometimes it says ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration....

I've tried to fix each of these individual issues, to no avail. Even so, if I run the troubleshooter 2wice in a row, without changing a thing in between, it will produce different results!

What is going on??? What do I do??? Please help!

Can you open CMD and type: 

ipconfig

then post the results. There may be an issue with it not getting an IP via DHCP correctly. 

EDIT: You could also try typing:

ipconfig /renew

while you're in CMD. It may fetch a valid IP then. 

I thought the problem would be with my motherboard. It was working without drivers on the first windows installation.

But I'll try what you said and post the results anyways.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2017 at 3:17 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Can you open CMD and type: 

ipconfig

then post the results. There may be an issue with it not getting an IP via DHCP correctly. 

EDIT: You could also try typing:

ipconfig /renew

while you're in CMD. It may fetch a valid IP then. 

Okay so, very sorry for replying to you finally so late, finals came and I had to focus my time on studying and everything, so I kinda forgot about my computer for a bit. Again, great apologies, and hopefully you can still help me :D.

So, I entered ipconfig and ipconfig /renew into cmd like you asked, and this is what it outputted.

Entering "ipconfig":

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:648:8400:fad0:852e:8922:36a5:266
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:648:8400:fad0:d566:370d:bf8b:bcf7
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::852e:8922:36a5:266%5
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.2.102
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::68ee:96ff:fed0:51a4%5

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B585E28B-14A8-46BC-AEE2-E4B189373905}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Entering "ipconfig /renew"(it stopped for a few minutes with just a blinking underscore, then gave this when I tried to type some shit):

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

It does say it had an issue regarding the DHCP, like you said. What do you think?

Again, sorry for the late reply.

1 hour ago, Spiffeye said:

Okay so, very sorry for replying to you finally so late, finals came and I had to focus my time on studying and everything, so I kinda forgot about my computer for a bit. Again, great apologies, and hopefully you can still help me :D.

So, I entered ipconfig and ipconfig /renew into cmd like you asked, and this is what it outputted.

Entering "ipconfig":

Windows IP Configuration

Entering "ipconfig /renew"(it stopped for a few minutes with just a blinking underscore, then gave this when I tried to type some shit):

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

It does say it had an issue regarding the DHCP, like you said. What do you think?

That address would be very unusual for a local address. It should generally be on the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. 

Can you find and post the local IP address of another device connected to your network? (One that is working). Ideally with the default gateway too

51 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That address would be very unusual for a local address. It should generally be on the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. 

Can you find and post the local IP address of another device connected to your network? (One that is working). Ideally with the default gateway too

I don't be to be untrusting, but can I ask, why?

Just for caution's sake.

6 hours ago, Spiffeye said:

Entering "ipconfig":

Windows IP Configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Its an IPv6 address that you've been given. I highly doubt your standard router (if you haven't changed it) will be configured correctly to give out IPv6 addresses.

Try disabling IPv6 and disable/ re-enable the network adapter: control panel > network and internet > network and sharing centre > Change adaptor settings (left hand side) > locate your network adaptor (most likely the one with the yellow warning sign) > right click and properties > in the box in the middle (should have a scroll wheel) untick internet protocol version 6 and make sure version 4 is ticked > press okay > right click the same adaptor and disable, then re-enable 

re-run Ipconfig for us and post results.

1 hour ago, Spiffeye said:

Just for caution's sake.

Your router should be running a DHCP server for ip4 to provide ip addresses to computers on your local network so they can connect to each other and the internet. By default these typically use 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x or 10.1.1.x. Your ipv4 address (169.254.2.102) looks more like an address that the network card pseudo-randomly defaulted to because it couldn't reach a DHCP server.

It is possible that your router's DCHP server has crashed and is not handing out new IP leases.

If you check another computer on your network for it's IP address, it can help you diagnose the issue and resolve it. You may need your router's IP address to connect to it and diagnose it's status etc.

These IP addresses are only accessible to you on your local network and not externally accessible.

Do you know if your router was configured with a MAC address whitelist?

10 hours ago, wrrls0 said:

Its an IPv6 address that you've been given. I highly doubt your standard router (if you haven't changed it) will be configured correctly to give out IPv6 addresses.

Try disabling IPv6 and disable/ re-enable the network adapter: control panel > network and internet > network and sharing centre > Change adaptor settings (left hand side) > locate your network adaptor (most likely the one with the yellow warning sign) > right click and properties > in the box in the middle (should have a scroll wheel) untick internet protocol version 6 and make sure version 4 is ticked > press okay > right click the same adaptor and disable, then re-enable 

re-run Ipconfig for us and post results.

When I went through those steps, both boxes were already checked, so I just unchecked IPv6.

Results from "ipconfig":

Windows IP Configuration

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.43
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.ca.comcast.net:

Results from "ipconfig /renew":

Windows IP Configuration

12 hours ago, Spiffeye said:

Just for caution's sake.

Mainly to work out the address range your network uses and the address of your default gateway. These are all local addresses, so there's nothing we can do with them from here. Something like the 192.168.1.x address range is a private address range only used for local addresses. My network at home runs off the 192.168.1.x address range. My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and my PC uses 192.168.1.100.

As your PC is having issues with DHCP, if we know your network's address range and the default gateway, you could assign an IP manually. 

8 minutes ago, Spiffeye said:

When I went through those steps, both boxes were already checked, so I just unchecked IPv6.

Results from "ipconfig":

Windows IP Configuration

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.43
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.ca.comcast.net:

Results from "ipconfig /renew":

Windows IP Configuration

Seems like the PC has given itself a random address again, with the wrong subnet mask. If your network does run off the 10.x.x.x network address range, your subnet mask should be 255.0.0.0 as it's a class A network. 255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask used for class C networks (without subnetting)

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Mainly to work out the address range your network uses and the address of your default gateway. These are all local addresses, so there's nothing we can do with them from here. Something like the 192.168.1.x address range is a private address range only used for local addresses. My network at home runs off the 192.168.1.x address range. My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and my PC uses 192.168.1.100.

As your PC is having issues with DHCP, if we know your network's address range and the default gateway, you could assign an IP manually. 

15 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Your router should be running a DHCP server for ip4 to provide ip addresses to computers on your local network so they can connect to each other and the internet. By default these typically use 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x or 10.1.1.x. Your ipv4 address (169.254.2.102) looks more like an address that the network card pseudo-randomly defaulted to because it couldn't reach a DHCP server.

It is possible that your router's DCHP server has crashed and is not handing out new IP leases.

If you check another computer on your network for it's IP address, it can help you diagnose the issue and resolve it. You may need your router's IP address to connect to it and diagnose it's status etc.

These IP addresses are only accessible to you on your local network and not externally accessible.

Do you know if your router was configured with a MAC address whitelist?

Okay, here is the ipv4 and default gateway obtained from another computer on the network. This one has internet but not through ethernet, through wireless.

IPv4: 10.0.0.219 (if I remember correctly from before, on my computer the ipv4 I'd see from ipconfig was 192.168.x.y (something like that))

Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Just now, Spiffeye said:

Okay, here is the ipv4 and default gateway obtained from another computer on the network. This one has internet but not through ethernet, through wireless.

IPv4: 10.0.0.219 (if I remember correctly from before, on my computer the ipv4 I'd see from ipconfig was 192.168.x.y (something like that))

Try inputting this manually into your computer's IP settings:

IPv4 address: 10.0.0.30 (doesn't have to be 30. You can have pretty much anything as long as it starts with 10. (apart from 10.0.0.0, 10.0.0.1 and 10.255.255.255). I'd just stick to 10.0.0.x) 

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

If that doesn't work, it may be worth trying to switch your network over to the 192.168.1.x/24 address range. It still gives you 254 addresses (253 is you don't count the one used by the router). The 10.x.x.x/8 address range gives you 16,777,216 addresses, which I doubt you need. It could fix the DHCP issue with your router. Also may not, but it may worth a try if nothing else works. 

6 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Try inputting this manually into your computer's IP settings:

IPv4 address: 10.0.0.30 (doesn't have to be 30. You can have pretty much anything as long as it starts with 10. (apart from 10.0.0.0, 10.0.0.1 and 10.255.255.255). I'd just stick to 10.0.0.x) 

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

If that doesn't work, it may be worth trying to switch your network over to the 192.168.1.x/24 address range. It still gives you 254 addresses (253 is you don't count the one used by the router). The 10.x.x.x/8 address range gives you 16,777,216 addresses, which I doubt you need. It could fix the DHCP issue with your router. Also may not, but it may worth a try if nothing else works. 

Still nothing. The troubleshooter tells me to investigate router or broadband modem issuescmd, and then tells me the default gateway is not available.

The results from "ipconfig /renew" are:

"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

What do I do??? D:

Remove your Ethernet driver through device manager. Once you have removed it use scan for new devices (I think its in the action tab at the top). Windows 10 tends to have a pretty good driver store. If it fails to install it automatically and just shows as a yellow warning sign on the driver then follow the link below to download and install the driver: 

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/LAN_V20_1_2019_0_WHQL.zip?_ga=2.241193856.387001074.1498116759-1454949626.1498116759

Let us know how you get on. 

Also if possible check that the cable is fully connected in both the back of the PC and on the router or switch and make sure its flashing either yellow/ orange or green. 

3 hours ago, Spiffeye said:

Still nothing. The troubleshooter tells me to investigate router or broadband modem issuescmd, and then tells me the default gateway is not available.

The results from "ipconfig /renew" are:

"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

What do I do??? D:

As suggested by @wrrls0, you could try removing it in device manager then rediscovering it. 

You could probably just buy a PCIe ethernet card and go around the problem 

On 6/22/2017 at 0:37 AM, wrrls0 said:

Remove your Ethernet driver through device manager. Once you have removed it use scan for new devices (I think its in the action tab at the top). Windows 10 tends to have a pretty good driver store. If it fails to install it automatically and just shows as a yellow warning sign on the driver then follow the link below to download and install the driver: 

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/LAN_V20_1_2019_0_WHQL.zip?_ga=2.241193856.387001074.1498116759-1454949626.1498116759

Let us know how you get on. 

Also if possible check that the cable is fully connected in both the back of the PC and on the router or switch and make sure its flashing either yellow/ orange or green. 

On 6/22/2017 at 2:54 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

As suggested by @wrrls0, you could try removing it in device manager then rediscovering it. 

You could probably just buy a PCIe ethernet card and go around the problem 

Still nothing. Same issues persist after I've rescanned, and installed those drivers. Also, driver folder you linked me was the same one I used to try to install in the first place.

I'm confused though, like I said in my original post, the first time I installed windows on this build, the internet was working fine, I didn't even need to install the asus drivers from their website, as some motherboards come. But, after I reinstalled a few times, it was like this. So why would it stop working?

If it came to that (which I really hope it doesn't have to) I could try to just get an ethernet card but I'd probably rather just go for a new motherboard in total, despite the huge hassle, since I want to be sure everything is working great and fine. If the ethernet randomly stopped working then other things might be experiencing issues too right?

33 minutes ago, Spiffeye said:

Still nothing. Same issues persist after I've rescanned, and installed those drivers. Also, driver folder you linked me was the same one I used to try to install in the first place.

I'm confused though, like I said in my original post, the first time I installed windows on this build, the internet was working fine, I didn't even need to install the asus drivers from their website, as some motherboards come. But, after I reinstalled a few times, it was like this. So why would it stop working?

If it came to that (which I really hope it doesn't have to) I could try to just get an ethernet card but I'd probably rather just go for a new motherboard in total, despite the huge hassle, since I want to be sure everything is working great and fine. If the ethernet randomly stopped working then other things might be experiencing issues too right?

Posted before I could type. Will edit this post

Not necessarily. The ethernet controller may have just crapped out and that could be it. If the board is covered under warranty, you could try get a replacement. If not, I would go for a $10 or so Gigabit PCIe NIC and call it a day. Something among the solutions suggested here should have fixed it, so I can only see it being an issue with the controller or a physical issue at this point. Have you tried installing Windows again? Could be some deeper software issue. That's the final thing I'd try before looking at replacing/adding hardware. 

This may go against the average consensus, but it seems like, at least in my experience, that Windows 10 is really good with automatic installation of drivers, though I would install/update video drivers...

You may want to re-install Windows and just let it do its thing. I've found on cheap usb wifi devices, they worked better and FAR more reliably when Windows installed whatever it wanted to. I always had an issue when I installed the included drivers (disk) for those particular devices. It seems like it would be the opposite, but things don't always work out the way we would like with drivers for whatever reason... 

17 hours ago, Spiffeye said:

To me it definitely sounds like a software issue rather than a hardware issue. As suggested previously above re-installing windows would be a good test. Another thing you could do is try another OS like ubuntu and see if the ethernet works under that.

On 6/25/2017 at 1:16 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Posted before I could type. Will edit this post

Not necessarily. The ethernet controller may have just crapped out and that could be it. If the board is covered under warranty, you could try get a replacement. If not, I would go for a $10 or so Gigabit PCIe NIC and call it a day. Something among the solutions suggested here should have fixed it, so I can only see it being an issue with the controller or a physical issue at this point. Have you tried installing Windows again? Could be some deeper software issue. That's the final thing I'd try before looking at replacing/adding hardware. 

16 hours ago, wrrls0 said:

To me it definitely sounds like a software issue rather than a hardware issue. As suggested previously above re-installing windows would be a good test. Another thing you could do is try another OS like ubuntu and see if the ethernet works under that.

On 6/25/2017 at 3:41 PM, XtremeConditions said:

This may go against the average consensus, but it seems like, at least in my experience, that Windows 10 is really good with automatic installation of drivers, though I would install/update video drivers...

You may want to re-install Windows and just let it do its thing. I've found on cheap usb wifi devices, they worked better and FAR more reliably when Windows installed whatever it wanted to. I always had an issue when I installed the included drivers (disk) for those particular devices. It seems like it would be the opposite, but things don't always work out the way we would like with drivers for whatever reason... 

I've reinstalled windows again, and still no different conclusion. Same things happen, and internet still doesn't work. Do I have any other options rather than buying an ethernet card or exchanging my motherboard?

Thanks for all the help guys

Oh, so it's an actual ethernet card, not the port on the motherboard? At this point, you may just want to try and exchange the card then. 

I'm not sure if you did confirm that you tried it, but as said above, trying Ubuntu, etc would be a great test. Linux always seems really good with things like this. But assuming you're still under 30 day return, or very likely under manufacturer warranty, either of those could at least be an option. Better to exchange than hope it will suddenly work... It'll just be a bigger headache. 

2 hours ago, XtremeConditions said:

Oh, so it's an actual ethernet card, not the port on the motherboard? At this point, you may just want to try and exchange the card then. 

I'm not sure if you did confirm that you tried it, but as said above, trying Ubuntu, etc would be a great test. Linux always seems really good with things like this. But assuming you're still under 30 day return, or very likely under manufacturer warranty, either of those could at least be an option. Better to exchange than hope it will suddenly work... It'll just be a bigger headache. 

Sorry, yeah, bad wording on my part. It is the motherboard port, @Oshino Shinobu just had suggested to buy an ethernet card instead of entirely getting a new mobo.

Testing on Ubuntu and Linux seems to be a good amount of work, and even if it did solve the issue, I wouldn't want to continue using either of those OSs.

9 hours ago, Spiffeye said:

Sorry, yeah, bad wording on my part. It is the motherboard port, @Oshino Shinobu just had suggested to buy an ethernet card instead of entirely getting a new mobo.

Testing on Ubuntu and Linux seems to be a good amount of work, and even if it did solve the issue, I wouldn't want to continue using either of those OSs.

You Could simply create a Ubuntu bootable media device and choose to test the OS rather than install it, but with a clean install of windows 10 if it still has issues its more likely to be a hardware fault. Normally when its the port it would have a red cross through the adapter to show that its not detected a cable rather than the yellow warning sign. Try replacing the Ethernet cable with a known good one.

Also how is your physical network configured? Are you connected to the router using a direct connection or are you using power line ethernet adapters, any smart or normal switches involved?

If you have a laptop try plugging the ethernet cable you're currently using into the laptop and see if it obtains and IP