gtx 1060 for 4k gaming??

KenVelocity

I recently wacthed lots of videos regarding gtx 1060 at 4k with 30-40 or 50 fps(high settings) and I realize its pretty much playable would it be fine to do that?? will it be fine?? will it be stable??

I am pairing with r5 1600 btw

Will work fine at lowest settings (for sure)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Do you have 3 or 6 gb version?

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

It all depends what games. AAA? Don't expect too much. Any (most) esport game(s)? Should work quite well. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

Do you have 3 or 6 gb version?

6gb

If you want run AAA-GAMES, wake up, It's not sleep time.

you need a 1080 or a new vega, even more 

yeah "playable" 30-40fps at medium/low.

If you even consider that playable

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

4 hours ago, KenVelocity said:

I recently wacthed lots of videos regarding gtx 1060 at 4k with 30-40 or 50 fps(high settings) and I realize its pretty much playable would it be fine to do that?? will it be fine?? will it be stable??

What games?

Modern titles? Set everything to Low/Medium, and hope it runs with 30+ fps.

Older titles run well in 4k. Bioshock 1 remaster. Final Fantasy 13 Lightning Returns also (those 2 i tried, and they ran very good).

But modern.... yea... go up to a GTX 1080 at least. I promise you, you will NOT have much fun in 4k.

1440p is the highest  would pair a 1060 with, and then you have to compromise a few settings here and there to have stable 45-60 fps~ in modern titles.

E-Sports games would be fine, same with games like 2012 or older. Relatively modern games? Yeah those would have to be running on low if you want anywhere near 60fps. My minimum for 4k would be the 1070, as that can run most games at medium 60fps and some at high 60fps. Ideally at 4k, the 1080 is the sweet spot. Most games high settings 60fps, some games ultra, and the difference between high and ultra in terms of visual fidelity is usually minimal. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 11:27 AM, KenVelocity said:

But why??? The whole purpose of 4k is so that your games look baller on med/high settings with AAA on, or for productivity. Why buy a really expensive screen only to play potato-ish looking games on it? 1440p is what the 6gb 1060 is able to run at 60 fps so I recommend going with that.

It is possible, but I guess the ideal would be a 1070. You could get a 1440p and it would be better. And remember: ultra settings are ALWAYS stupid, and try to optimize your settings manually for better graphics/performance.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I made a thread on this saying how it's viable. If you buy a  6GB dual fan model you can easily overclock to 2GHz and overlcock the memory too. I get solid 60 at 4K Ultra on DiRT Rally, same with Forza 6 Apex. For more demanding games you'll have to settle for 1440p or lower framerates.

• 9 months later...

i think as long as you stay low/med some high settings it will be around 45-60 fps as long as you have the 6gb version of this card