Is it possible to install an NH-D15 upright?

ybriK

Installing it the normal way will block my first PCI-e slot according to their compatibility page. By upright I mean ↑ when usually air coolers are installed ←

Well, if you are installing on an intel socket, they are square, so you can rotate the mounting bracket 90 degrees and install it that way, but then it will most likely (>90%) block your RAM slots.

Your best bet is to install your GPU in lover slot if possible.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Image result for NH-D15

Do you mean mounting it like that? yes its possible, picture for proof.

Also i wouldn't class the other way to mount it as "normal" i actually see more coolers mounted in the above position, rather than fans on top/bottom.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

9 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

-snip-

Looks ugly as hell imo xD

14 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Image result for NH-D15

Do you mean mounting it like that? yes its possible, picture for proof.

Also i wouldn't class the other way to mount it as "normal" i actually see more coolers mounted in the above position, rather than fans on top/bottom.

I meant fans top/bottom.

11 minutes ago, ybriK said:

I meant fans top/bottom.

Then it'd block your first PCI-e slot, which is what you say the "normal" way will do in your post

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

but then it'd block your PCI-e slot, which is what you say the "normal" way will do in your post?

The "normal" way is what the photo above is showing. I want to know if I can literally rotate the heatsink top/bottom and have 1 fan in the middle.

http://noctua.at/en/mainboard/Gigabyte_G1.Sniper_M3

" The cooler is extending over the first PCI-E x16 slot, so please use the other available PCI-E slot(s). " The only slot I have left is a x4 which will definitely cause a bottleneck for the GPU.

8 hours ago, ybriK said:

The "normal" way is what the photo above is showing. I want to know if I can literally rotate the heatsink top/bottom and have 1 fan in the middle.

http://noctua.at/en/mainboard/Gigabyte_G1.Sniper_M3

" The cooler is extending over the first PCI-E x16 slot, so please use the other available PCI-E slot(s). " The only slot I have left is a x4 which will definitely cause a bottleneck for the GPU.

Yes, you can do that. As long as there isn't something on the motherboard in the way, cpu coolers can always be rotated 90 degrees on a board with equally spaced mounting holes.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, you can do that. As long as there isn't something on the motherboard in the way, cpu coolers can always be rotated 90 degrees on a board with equally spaced mounting holes.

I see thanks.

5 hours ago, ybriK said:

I see thanks.

It will be blocking 1st and maybe 2nd PCIe slot anyway. If you are going for mATX or smaller board where 1st slot is x16, maybe look at some other cooler. Most big tower coolers block 1st slot anyway (since its x1 on ATX and bigger boards). Another problem with having dual tower vertically is does it fit in case from top side.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It will be blocking 1st and maybe 2nd PCIe slot anyway. If you are going for mATX or smaller board where 1st slot is x16, maybe look at some other cooler. Most big tower coolers block 1st slot anyway (since its x1 on ATX and bigger boards). Another problem with having dual tower vertically is does it fit in case from top side.

It should fit fine. I found a post of how exactly I want to mount the D15 and the funny thing is this person has the same motherboard as me. There's just enough room for the first PCI-e slot.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1259334/gigabyte-g1-sniper-5-5m-3-m3-owners-thread-club/230#post_17731440

2 hours ago, ybriK said:

It should fit fine. I found a post of how exactly I want to mount the D15 and the funny thing is this person has the same motherboard as me. There's just enough room for the first PCI-e slot.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1259334/gigabyte-g1-sniper-5-5m-3-m3-owners-thread-club/230#post_17731440

Idk if you read that or not. Its still mATX board which is the main issue. Since you don't have extra PCIe x1 between CPU slot and PCIe x16 slot. Plus, like you can very well see from pic, you can't fit any GPU with backplate there. And even fitting one without, you will need piece of cardboard between cooler and GPU to avoid any short-circuit.

Good thing is that you don't need to run GPU from 1st slot. Unless you are planning to get SLI/Crossfire.

E: Thinking this bit further. Cooler in pic is D14. So maybe if you'd get D15S, it might leave more space for PCIe slot. Hard to say without seeing them in person.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv