motherboard failure?

So, as the title says not sure if it's a motherboard failure.

I've been building PCs for some time now and know something about that.

The problem is: The PC starts but no post, no beeps.

Tried:

- different PSU

- different RAM configurations/ram sticks

- different GPU

- build outside case

Haven't tried different CPU (don't have one to try at the moment) and BIOS update as it wouldn't post.

The CPU is i3-4160 and the motherboard is Asus H81M-K.

The PC was running before, did some stress testing before sale and everything worked fine. Put it aside and when it came to sell it, wouldn't post. Bought another motherboard (exactly same model H81M-K from Asus) and same thing happened (only that now never posted). Same thing happened in the past with another Asus H81 motherboard, exactly same symptoms.

Does anyone have any idea what would go wrong?

Thank you in advance.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

It's either a CPU failure or a mobo failure. Or both.

Had the same thing happen to me, tried the same things and I narrowed it down to a dead mobo (still haven't tested the CPU since I got a new one <2h after the incident)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

35 minutes ago, r3loAded said:

So, as the title says not sure if it's a motherboard failure.

I've been building PCs for some time now and know something about that.

The problem is: The PC starts but no post, no beeps.

Tried:

- different PSU

- different RAM configurations/ram sticks

- different GPU

- build outside case

Haven't tried different CPU (don't have one to try at the moment) and BIOS update as it wouldn't post.

The CPU is i3-4160 and the motherboard is Asus H81M-K.

The PC was running before, did some stress testing before sale and everything worked fine. Put it aside and when it came to sell it, wouldn't post. Bought another motherboard (exactly same model H81M-K from Asus) and same thing happened (only that now never posted). Same thing happened in the past with another Asus H81 motherboard, exactly same symptoms.

Does anyone have any idea what would go wrong?

Thank you in advance.

I apologise in advance if you already have done this, but couldn't see it in your description of things you've tried - have you tried resetting CMOS?  is your motherboard one which will allow you to upgrade BIOS via USB at startup? they usually have to be in the root of the USB, and some of them need to be named a certain way. Also try it with no discrete GPU, just use the integrated GPU on the CPU if you haven't tried that already.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

I apologise in advance if you already have done this, but couldn't see it in your description of things you've tried - have you tried resetting CMOS?  is your motherboard one which will allow you to upgrade BIOS via USB at startup? they usually have to be in the root of the USB, and some of them need to be named a certain way. Also try it with no discrete GPU, just use the integrated GPU on the CPU if you haven't tried that already.

Firstly, thank you for feedback.

Have reset the CMOS just by taking out the BIOS battery (didn't worked), haven't tried to reset through jumper (will do that next). 

I did once, for a laptop, a BIOS downgrade through USB, might try with this one as well.

I cannot use discrete GPU as I would have to set that in BIOS which I cannot see, just black screen saying that the monitor will go in stand by. BTW when I search in the monitor OSD the HDMI used, it says inactive for all ports, including the one used to connect it to the GPU. 

What bothers me the most is that with the first motherboard everything worked fine, with stress testing and just shut it down leaving aside with the other PCs I have.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

1 minute ago, r3loAded said:

Firstly, thank you for feedback.

Have reset the CMOS just by taking out the BIOS battery (didn't worked), haven't tried to reset through jumper (will do that next). 

I did once, for a laptop, a BIOS downgrade through USB, might try with this one as well.

I cannot use discrete GPU as I would have to set that in BIOS which I cannot see, just black screen saying that the monitor will go in stand by. BTW when I search in the monitor OSD the HDMI used, it says inactive for all ports, including the one used to connect it to the GPU. 

What bothers me the most is that with the first motherboard everything worked fine, with stress testing and just shut it down leaving aside with the other PCs I have.

No problem, happy to try and help. Yes, with resetting CMOS, either way is fine for resetting it, just have to give it enough time when taking battery out, or discharge capacitors (turn PSU off, take out battery, press start button a few times to discharge caps, and put battery back in) - this should have given it plenty of time to drain and should now have reset CMOS for sure.

I had a little look for you, and your mobo does indeed have ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3, I couldn't see anything definitive when googling about that, but I would think tech support would know. I am almost 100% sure it should work with ANY supported BIOS version as long as it's placed in the root of the USB and a specific USB port is used. You should also unplug all hardware inc disks/drives etc according to most documentation.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini