Front fans w/ dust filter. Static or Airflow?

Shoy

Hey guys,

I want to change my stock fan that came with my case (Corsair Carbide 400C) by 2 be quiet Silentwings 3 PWM. However, I was wondering what type of fans I actually should get for front fans with a dust filter? Static or Airflow?

Also that fan makes a lot of noise only with the dust filter on, when I remove it it's pretty quiet. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance

static. My SW3 1000RPM fans cannot pull the air through a slightly loaded dust filter very well. Last night i did a little test while folding. Water temp ran up to 48* with the front cover on. i removed the cover, and temps started to drop furiously. 12*C in a matter of minutes.

The SW3 fans are just not optimized for pressure.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

7 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

static. My SW3 1000RPM fans cannot pull the air through a slightly loaded dust filter very well. Last night i did a little test while folding. Water temp ran up to 48* with the front cover on. i removed the cover, and temps started to drop furiously. 12*C in a matter of minutes.

The SW3 fans are just not optimized for pressure.

I see. Thank you for the reply!

Any suggestions on which fans I should get then? I'm primarly looking for performance then quietness.

22 minutes ago, Shoy said:

Any suggestions on which fans I should get then? I'm primarly looking for performance then quietness.

The corsair SP120/140's are extremely high performance fans (super torquey) but they sound like a jet engine when they ramp all the way up. The thing is though, they don't need to ramp all the way up so you might be good with a 50% fan speed for a nice balance of pull and sound.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

43 minutes ago, Shoy said:

EK Vardar's are really good, i have some Corsair SP fans, they are good, but loud, the Vardar can be loud when they ramp up, but they also carry really good Static pressure and are really just a good fan. id go Ek Vardar over Corsair SP's but the SP's are still a good fan

8 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

EK Vardar's are really good, i have some Corsair SP fans, they are good, but loud, the Vardar can be loud when they ramp up, but they also carry really good Static pressure and are really just a good fan. id go Ek Vardar over Corsair SP's but the SP's are still a good fan

I think I'd agree with that. At the same speed, i wonder if the Vardar make more pressure...that's nearly double the value for another 200-ish RPM, but nearly twice as loud...

29.3dB @ 1.17mmH2O SP140 (1440RPM)

31.6dB @ 1.90mmH2O F2-140 (1600RPM)

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

I think I'd agree with that. At the same speed, i wonder if the Vardar make more pressure...that's nearly double the value for another 200-ish RPM, but nearly twice as loud...

29.3dB @ 1.17mmH2O SP140 (1440RPM)

31.6dB @ 1.90mmH2O F2-140 (1600RPM)

the EK is louder yeah, but in a carbide it would be more muffled, but the sheer air it can move thru a case rivals Larger and high RPM fans, 
56cfm vs 77cfm, other thing is J2z has been running Vardars for how long, an they have a silent model which moves about the same air as my SP120 2350RPMs at like half the speed. 

5 hours ago, knightslugger said:

This is normal for case fans in general. Even a bit of obstruction will usually significantly reduce airflow. 

Here's an example of how much difference relatively open fan grills make: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Effects-of-Grill-Patterns-on-Fan-Performance-Noise-107/

SW3's don't have amazing static pressure but should be enough. If you need more static pressure, just turn up the rpm. If noise is an issue, swapping out for louder fans isn't exactly going to help.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.