Motherboard killing CPU's?

TubsAlwaysWins

OK so right before chrismas I had a MSI 970 Gaming motherboard and a FX-8320. I ended up killing the CPU. I just bought a system from a friend and im starting to wonder if the 970 gaming board killed the CPU, not me.

Basically I plugged the new cpu into the board because the 970 gaming is a much better board than what is in there. When I started it the computer started but didn't output to the display. I ended up moving the CPU back to the old board and am getting nothing out of it. I cant even get POST beeps

Help plz

Breaking things 1 day at a time

If you have a suspected bad board, your best bet is to try the CPUs in another system.  Frying CPUs is not a cheap way to troubleshoot, so it is often best to just replace the board.

Just now, Doramius said:

If you have a suspected bad board, your best bet is to try the CPUs in another system.  Frying CPUs is not a cheap way to troubleshoot, so it is often best to just replace the board.

Well im out of CPU's now and im pissed at MSI. this is the 2nd board ive had (first was for a different issue though)

I can't say that I haven't been in the same boat.  This has happened to me on many occasion.  

5 minutes ago, Doramius said:

I can't say that I haven't been in the same boat.  This has happened to me on many occasion.  

It would be great if they would at least compensate me for the 2nd CPU that it killed (the first was possible somewhat my fault). But I know they wont. Im done with their shit products

Have you tried a CMOS clear? I can't any reason why a board would kill a CPU at default settings without even posting.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

Have you tried a CMOS clear? I can't any reason why a board would kill a CPU at default settings without even posting.

Yes.

On the 970 board I had the 8320 but I managed to break a pin off of it. I dropped a replacement pin into the socket which worked for a while, but one day it stopped.

Im noticing that even on the shit board the system auto-powers on as soon as it has power (like fans spin but no display output) but I cant turn it off without disconnecting the power source. If the 4 pin CPU power is disconnected the system will spin the fans whenever you press the button, or stop when you hold it down for 5 seconds