Call for Coders 2017

Would you happen to need a test automation engineer with previous experience in infosec/sysadmin ? =)

had to signup just to ask!

Even though I am interested, I won't apply. I'm getting my bachelor degree this summer so I can't leave (yet). Besides that, I'm not a real coder... And i'm unsure what you actually are looking for. I can code, all the mentioned requirements, I'm not the fastest coder though, so a timed coding challenge would be devastating for me. I am however (almost) an bachelor graduated UI designer with coding capabilties, which sound something you guys would want to have.

If you are in a stage where designing, testing and optimizing a design becomes a thing, contact me. I can do some consulting as well.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE opensource parts of it to allow the whole community to contribute!

I normally hang around at the Level1Techs forums but made a account here just to stress that I would love to work on a node based high availability microservices video delivery infrastructure! And I think that there are a lot more people in the broader techtuber community who would contribute to something like this which is an exiting project and can help improve the infrastructure for content delivery and lessen the dependency on single corporations.

Exiting to see where this goes.

I'd love to help, but while my JavaScript skills are strong, I have no experience with NodeJS :(

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

1 minute ago, Trustadz said:

Even though I am interested, I won't apply. I'm getting my bachelor degree this summer so I can't leave (yet). Besides that, I'm not a real coder... And i'm unsure what you actually are looking for. I can code, all the mentioned requirements, I'm not the fastest coder though, so a timed coding challenge would be devastating for me. I am however (almost) an bachelor graduated UI designer with coding capabilties, which sound something you guys would want to have.

If you are in a stage where designing, testing and optimizing a design becomes a thing, contact me. I can do some consulting as well.

the timed code challenge has put me off also. i can code all thats been asked but like yourself not at speed.

Just now, techsupport said:

the timed code challenge has put me off also. i can code all thats been asked but like yourself not at speed.

in the real world time = money so you need to know how to code fast.

Needs Update

1. I bet JFJ Jr wish he had floatplane

2. I make magic all the time.. I eat.. and it magically becomes plentiful poop

3. Boy, the code is going to get confusing.. you got couple of different types of Canadian English, English English and the Swedish Chef.

I don't have really any skill with programming, but if you need anyone to help design the layout of the chat, video list, sign-in box etc. then i would be happy to help.

I think some people are focusing a bit too much on the timed coding challenge... That will be one aspect of the interview process, but not the entire thing.

Showing that you can work efficiently/quickly is important since it's likely that there will be some aggressive deadlines from time to time - showing that you can do good work consistently is mandatory.

Hope that helps clarify some of the concerns expressed here.

8 minutes ago, MrSnuggyWuggums said:

This was enough for me to make an account!

I've put my application through via the form as I've, admittedly recently, began to develop a myriad of interfaces on NodeJS using Amazon Web Services: Lambda, API Gateway and S3. I currently work in an office where we've been using Agile development for about a year and a half now too. This is perfect for me! (I'm not going to list all of my skills here, I won't bore you all)

My only concern is that I won't be considered as I'm unable to relocate to Canada whereas the video did imply it was a potential global opportunity

I had the same idea that these kind of video hosting platforms could be solved using AWS. In fact I think there's Elastic transcoder.

(Although I think LMG could just transcode their videos into a format that browsers could play in html5. There are also several js players available, but obviously a custom one is better)

Using lambda to render the static site and frameworks like vue.js to create dynamic content might be better, I don't see the need of Node.js though. 

20 minutes ago, Kevv4 said:

Why did you choose to go with NodeJS as the back-end? Seems a bit odd if you're going to make anything somewhat large?
Also, why not make it open source and have the community contribute to it? 

I'm a sad .NET cat atm :(

sadcatsmall.jpg

They said something about microservices which is the architecture that ao netflix uses. NodeJS is a pretty good fit for that kind of approach.

Hi, 

I'd like to ask if this is a part-time, or full time job. If its full-time, is it possible to be part time?

I think I might have the experience to fill this position (self-taught), and already have another part-time job I love.

I would like to help but I'm not able to work full time.

I'm experienced with Node.js (sort of) and JavaScript in general.

making the whole project into an open source project would even be better, as everyone in the community could contribute. (Or partially open sourced.)

1 minute ago, decaf_asm said:

I had the same idea that these kind of video hosting platforms could be solved using AWS. In fact I think there's Elastic transcoder.

(Although I think LMG could just transcode their videos into a format that browsers could play in html5. There are also several js players available, but obviously a custom one is better)

Using lambda to render the static site and frameworks like vue.js to create dynamic content might be better, I don't see the need of Node.js though. 

The costs associated with AWS would cripple something like what we're trying to do here. We've looked into it quite significantly :) 

I wondered what your plans were to make the platform pay for itself? The crux appears to be creating a substainable relationship with advertisers and it's creators without constant knee jerk reactions, my personal opinion is most social media platforms have failed to create anything beyond a basic advertising model, that works well for advertisers and users.

I'm a software engineer experienced within traditional/new media production and distribution companies.

25 minutes ago, Kevv4 said:

Why did you choose to go with NodeJS as the back-end? Seems a bit odd if you're going to make anything somewhat large?
Also, why not make it open source and have the community contribute to it? 

I'm a sad .NET cat atm :(

sadcatsmall.jpg

We have some really large services built on node, so scaling isn't really a pain point.  Though the node/express route definitely is less opinionated so in my experience we have to build out more functionality that is given out of the box like in rails, .net, etc.  

As an aside, if you guys are interested in part time work I'd love to contribute after hours.  It sounds fun.  node/reactjs engineer over hurr. 

Honestly, if you want a platform that doesn't have the core problem that YT does, think open-source. You are talking about Floatplane like it's a platform for more than just you guys. If so, you should seriously consider making this project open-source.

It seems like you want ONE guy for the app, the website, the databases and planning. Or am I understanding that wrong?

luke you "insert cursing word here" idea stealer! i was thinking about this ever since youtube started sucking 2 years ago. i wanted to make a site *EXACTLY like your "float plane club" site. you just copied my idea :P  

This sounds like an interesting project to me! I've been programming/designing/managing projects for about 15 years. I do Front End (HTML, CSS, JS, React, Angular), Back End (Rails, NodeJS, PHP, SQL), Linux Admin, iOS (Swift, Objective C), Android, Web Apps, etc. I also do a ton of UX and design. I have managed many dev teams up to 20 people. I run my own dev shop in Los Angeles and have access to tons of developers, am CTO for a company that is building Electronic Health Record applications for hospitals and nursing homes. I've worked for major corporations, universities, startups, individuals, and everything in between. I've mostly worked in the fields of entertainment and health care, and have a lot of experience with security specs like HIPAA, HiTRUST, SOC, PCI, and more. I've given lectures at major universities and have taught classes on programming and UX design, and have been creating my own developer education program.

Are you thinking about haute an UX designer? Coders are important for sure, but I feel like an UX designer can help you guys deliver better user experience for both viewer and creator.