Bad Torrent, Now I Need Help Getting Rid Of The Resulting Virus

Xandaaa

I'm running an asus vivostick ts10 as a little project for portable, lightweight gaming. Naturally, if I wasn't fucking broke (Being over 16 would help *I'm 15), I would have bought star craft 2 to test it. The problem is, I'm fucking broke. So I get this torrent, seems legit, I've got avast FREE anti-virus, whatever. I got caught up with other stuff, so I just left the ISO file in my torrents folder, left it there for like a week before I got back to my project. When I come back, every time I try to use my D: drive, it takes like 5 mins for it to completely crash windows explorer. (Forgot to mention this, The asus vivostick ts10 comes with 32gbs of internal storage, with windows installed, after removing bloatware, I was left with 12 to spare. Sooooooo, I got a lexar 64gb usb 3.0 flash drive to install programs on. THAT is my D: drive) I thought, fuck it, I'll just wipe the drive. CCleaner (also torrented) coudn't wipe it, so I thought, alright, I'll format it! That didn't work either... so I thought, I'll manually delete each folder in there.... It gets stuck on something in my torrents folder. (BTW each time I try any of these it crashes windows explorer and task manager) I click show details, and the file is called rld-scii.iso. I find said file, and it was in the scII folder. I use my free antivirus to scan that specific folder. Avast comes up with nothin. I tried deleting it thru windows explorer again. Crash. I tried formatting it in Fat32 as opposed to NTFS. Crash. I boot into safe mode and try again. crash. I go to cmd and use cd to clear it out. no such luck. I use cmd to format it. same goddamn thing. halp.

Do a fresh, full format on your device. And let this be a lesson to you for being a bonehead and trying to pirate software, something which we unequivocally detest around here. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, Xandaaa said:

I'm running an asus vivostick ts10 as a little project for portable, lightweight gaming. Naturally, if I wasn't fucking broke (Being over 16 would help *I'm 15), I would have bought star craft 2 to test it. The problem is, I'm fucking broke. So I get this torrent, seems legit, I've got avast FREE anti-virus, whatever. I got caught up with other stuff, so I just left the ISO file in my torrents folder, left it there for like a week before I got back to my project. When I come back, every time I try to use my D: drive, it takes like 5 mins for it to completely crash windows explorer. (Forgot to mention this, The asus vivostick ts10 comes with 32gbs of internal storage, with windows installed, after removing bloatware, I was left with 12 to spare. Sooooooo, I got a lexar 64gb usb 3.0 flash drive to install programs on. THAT is my D: drive) I thought, fuck it, I'll just wipe the drive. CCleaner (also torrented) coudn't wipe it, so I thought, alright, I'll format it! That didn't work either... so I thought, I'll manually delete each folder in there.... It gets stuck on something in my torrents folder. (BTW each time I try any of these it crashes windows explorer and task manager) I click show details, and the file is called rld-scii.iso. I find said file, and it was in the scII folder. I use my free antivirus to scan that specific folder. Avast comes up with nothin. I tried deleting it thru windows explorer again. Crash. I tried formatting it in Fat32 as opposed to NTFS. Crash. I boot into safe mode and try again. crash. I go to cmd and use cd to clear it out. no such luck. I use cmd to format it. same goddamn thing. halp.

Pirating is a very bad thing to do. Not only is it illegal, but there are high risks to it too. If you want to get a pc game cheap, wait for a steam sale or buy a cd key.

i like trains 🙂

It's not necessarily a virus, the pendrive itself may be defective - fat32 doesn't report hardware failures as far as I know so it may think it's fine when in reality it's dead. For a virus this would be very weird behaviour, and an iso image you didn't mount or extract is very unlikely to have unleashed anything in your system.

As @HolalmBob suggested you could try formatting it with a live linux system - if that fails it's almost certainly just a dead pendrive.

If you can't do that and everything else works fine on your vivostick I'd just buy a new pendrive, it's very likely to be just broken.

By the way, heroes of the storm uses the same engine as sc2 and is free to play. Use that for your testing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's not necessarily a virus, the pendrive itself may be defective - fat32 doesn't report hardware failures as far as I know so it may think it's fine when in reality it's dead. For a virus this would be very weird behaviour, and an iso image you didn't mount or extract is very unlikely to have unleashed anything in your system.

As @HolalmBob suggested you could try formatting it with a live linux system - if that fails it's almost certainly just a dead pendrive.

If you can't do that and everything else works fine on your vivostick I'd just buy a new pendrive, it's very likely to be just broken.

By the way, heroes of the storm uses the same engine as sc2 and is free to play. Use that for your testing.

I thought it was weird too that an ISO I didn't mount was messing with my system, or my drive at least.

Yes I'm going to try formatting it on linux, that's a very good idea, thanks @HolaImBob

Ya, I'll just pirate a new pen drive lmao

and thanks for the suggestion on HoTS. I'm aware it runs on the same engine, but as a league player I couldn't bring myself to download it. Maybe if I tell myself that it's just for testing XD.

I know that pirating is a detestable act. I don't like doing it myself at all. I simply have no other way. I do buy the games (and software) when I can.

THANK YOU ALL for some great tips. I'll try these later today!

try scanning it with malwarebytes 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

sorry, but we cannot lend any support to copyright protected applications/games which have been illegally obtained..