4 pin to 8 pin psu compatibility

Hi There ,

I have a mobo that requires a  8 Pin connector buy my psu has only a 4 Pin.

My Mobo Is a dual Xeon 

Will it work ? 

No.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, Benedoge said:

Hi There ,

My Mobo Is a dual Xeon 

Will it work ? 

I've been running an old Q9650 for years on a mobo with a 8 pin CPU connector with a 250W Generic PSU that only has a 4 pin plug. I haven't had any issues so far. But I'm not using it much either.

Best bet is to try it. it cannot really do any harm. worst that can happen is the pc shutdown from not enough power. 

19 minutes ago, Benedoge said:

Hi There ,

My Mobo Is a dual Xeon 

Will it work ? 

Linus rule of thumb number one: "If your PSU doesn't have an original connector for what your hardware requires, get a new PSU."

24 minutes ago, Benedoge said:

Hi There ,

My Mobo Is a dual Xeon 

Will it work ? 

its not smart but you can do a 8pin onto a 4pin by using the 4 in the middle that fit with the 4pin... but the other way around? I dont think so.

13 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Linus rule of thumb number one: "If your PSU doesn't have an original connector for what your hardware requires, get a new PSU."

With that logic, im glad you dont have a Lenovo PC.. they have custom made pins for their mb's xD (You can order a converter from shady Chinese stores tho)

1 hour ago, pmos said:

With that logic, im glad you dont have a Lenovo PC.. they have custom made pins for their mb's xD (You can order a converter from shady Chinese stores tho)

LOL Don't they have a 24 pin connectors? My old lenovo board has one and works with a 20+ and 4P plugged in.

1 hour ago, mrzoltowski said:

LOL Don't they have a 24 pin connectors? My old lenovo board has one and works with a 20+ and 4P plugged in.

I had a Lenovo H50 that I bought because it was on sale for the price of the CPU inside of it haha.. but wanted to upgrade it, so I went out and bought a new PSU, graphics card etc.. then started the upgrade, until I figured out that I couldn't connect the PSU to the motherboard because of their lame pin setup  that PC is now an empty shell with all parts used elsewhere, but I do have that converter just in case :D

Edit: I do have the motherboard and cpu cooler still, I guess I can sell that on eBay as spare parts