What is in my Bag.

Hi folks,

so I haven't see a thread where people can show off their gear so I thought I'd fill that space

I'll introduce myself,

My names Stewart and I'm a photojournalist covering many things including politics and civil unrest. I own a small news company with folk around the world. 

List of equipment in the image

Cameras:
Nikon D3100

Nikon D200

Nikon FM

Lenses:

Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3

Nikon 35mm f/1.8

Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Flashes and other flash related stuff:

Yongnuo YN-560II x2

Neewer FC16 RT

Pixel FC-312 Cable

DIY Flash Bracket

Storage:

SanDisk 16GB 120mb/s CF x2

Transcend 4GB x133 x5

Various SD/MicroSD cards

Other Stuff:

Manfrotto 680B

Uniden UBC125XLT

Headphones

Business cards

Helmet

Protective Eyewear

Gas Mask

Newswear Chestvest

Multi-tools 

U5DYUSwe.jpg

Damn what's with the helmet and gas mask? 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

6 minutes ago, mcladrifter said:

I'm a photojournalist covering many things including politics and civil unrest.

Guess politics sometimes can get heated

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

You've never been to a riot have you?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

What makes you carry the Nikon FM?

I own a D5100 but I have access to my fathers old FM, when would it be able to create better results, and is it worth the hassle of shooting on film?

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Guess politics sometimes can get heated

Depends on the reason, most I've been to haven't required its use yet, but my most recent one I was thinking about using it. 

Just now, oskarha said:

What makes you carry the Nikon FM?

I own a D5100 but I have access to my fathers old FM, when would it be able to create better results, and is it worth the hassle of shooting on film?

I've used film for years and its always nice to just chill for a second. Sadly, it doesn't get much use as it did before the new year. 

Just now, mcladrifter said:

I've used film for years and its always nice to just chill for a second. Sadly, it doesn't get much use as it did before the new year. 

I guess it also gives a wider FOV and better bokeh because of the larger size of 35mm film compared to APS-C sensors.

I have to say though the the viewfinder in the FM is a million times better than the one on the D5100.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, oskarha said:

I guess it also gives a wider FOV and better bokeh because of the larger size of 35mm film compared to APS-C sensors.

I have to say though the the viewfinder in the FM is a million times better than the one on the D5100.

D5100 is around 95% coverage, where as the FM I believe is 100%, oddly enough I can focus my 50 quicker on the FM than on the D3100

D5100 is around 95% coverage, where as the FM I believe is 100%, oddly enough I can focus my 50 quicker on the FM than on the D3100

I guess that explains it, as well as the fact that its full frame and not DX.

I find that the little thing in the middle that you line up to focus on the FM is really helpful when focusing, i guess thats whats makes you faster.

When I use old manual focus lenses on my D5100 (such as the Nikkor 85mm f2) I usually use live view and digitally zoom to grab focus, as I tend to miss focus using the viewfinder at f2.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Nice, especially the gas mask.  I've covered a few protests/riots where the police ended up using tear gas and water guns, always without a mask and keep telling myself to get one but always forget.  I had a kevlar vest once though.  But lately I've been covering less dangerous events.

I don't have a "What's in my gear bag" shot yet but here's what's in my cabinet.  I may do a proper shot tomorrow if I have time.

Nikon DSLRs, a dozen or so lenses, pocketwizards, speedlights, microphones, filters and holders, memory cards, a light meter, spare batteries, some lights, a drone.

IMG_1607.thumb.JPG.31b24e7591b0e714410287c4fad9fd55.JPG

IMG_1608.thumb.JPG.a86aadacce7d4da90dae66ac4031db94.JPG

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, oskarha said:

I find that the little thing in the middle that you line up to focus on the FM is really helpful when focusing, i guess thats whats makes you faster.

When I use old manual focus lenses on my D5100 (such as the Nikkor 85mm f2) I usually use live view and digitally zoom to grab focus, as I tend to miss focus using the viewfinder at f2.

Yeah, MF lenses are brilliant for video. You never hear the annoying BZZZ BZZZ from the AF motor on the soundtrack.

2 minutes ago, oskarha said:

Viewfinders in modern DSLRs are not really meant for manual focusing.  The focusing screen's are different from the ones that came with older film SLRs.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Nice, especially the gas mask.  I've covered a few protests/riots where the police ended up using tear gas and water guns, always without a mask and keep telling myself to get one but always forget.  I had was a kevlar vest once though.  But lately I've been covering less dangerous events.

I don't have a "What's in my gear bag" shot yet but here's what's in my cabinet.  I may do a proper shot tomorrow if I have time.

Nikon DSLRs, a dozen or so lenses, pocketwizards, speedlights, microphones, filters and holders, memory cards, a light meter, spare batteries, some lights, a drone.

IMG_1607.thumb.JPG.31b24e7591b0e714410287c4fad9fd55.JPG

IMG_1608.thumb.JPG.a86aadacce7d4da90dae66ac4031db94.JPG

That a D4 with the red tape at the back?

That a D4 with the red tape at the back?

Yep a D4 and D800E.  My two photo workhorses.

Yeah, MF lenses are brilliant for video. You never hear the annoying BZZZ BZZZ from the AF motor on the soundtrack.

Yea, I shot a quick video with the 18-55 kit lens and AF on the built in mic, and all you can hear is the lens focusing.

I currently use a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 and a Takstar shotgun mic when filming, so noise from the AF motor isn't to big of a problem anymore.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Yep a D4 and D800E.  My two photo workhorses.

I've always been curious as to what the rear mic is like on the memo recorder on the D4 is like

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

Yea, I shot a quick video with the 18-55 kit lens and AF on the built in mic, and all you can hear is the lens focusing.

I currently use a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 and a Takstar shotgun mic when filming, so noise from the AF motor isn't to big of a problem anymore.

I had the 18-55 lens, it died 2 mins after covering this https://twaineonline.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/1st-june-2016-alloa-gather-to-show.html

I've always been curious as to what the rear mic is like on the memo recorder on the D4 is like

Never used those mics, but I imagine they sound horrible.  Probably the quality of a cheap dictaphone.  For video I own a different camera that is currently in another location.

Never used those mics, but I imagine they sound horrible.  Probably the quality of a cheap dictaphone.  For video I own a different camera that is currently in another location.

I'm actually working on a little project video camera, a Canon XL1S

1 minute ago, mcladrifter said:

I had the 18-55 lens, it died 2 mins after covering this https://twaineonline.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/1st-june-2016-alloa-gather-to-show.html

Wow how did it die from that?

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Just now, oskarha said:

Wow how did it die from that?

Haven't a clue, got home, pulled my lens out to clean it, front barrel was cranked to one side and jammed.

Couple of images from a job earlier this month in Alloa

TO_SK-175.JPG

TO_SK-176.JPG

This is a great idea, I got several ideas about small time savers and ways to do stuff more easily from videos in youtube like this, its always nice to see if someone has some sort of trick that could save you time or hassle. 

This might seem excessive for an enthusiast, but I have amassed all this over about 12 years of shooting, also,  the only things that were bought new are the 90-300, which was a gift, and probably the EOS 1000, which I was not born yet when it was bought;P I will admit though that I do have a gear problem all kidding aside. 

This is all my gear I have with me here, I have my first dslr, a couple of bags and a crappy tripod back home as well. (excuse the crap quality my phone's been on its last leg for a while.) I have underlined what's usually in my bag, everything else stays home until I'm gainfully employed at a club or something again and am not only shooting landscapes and cityscapes for fun, I'll also try to get some street photography in there once I get some time from university.

DSC_0036.thumb.JPG.c9e67b5f475cabadb8e1e40cdc46bea4.JPG

Left to right, top to bottom: 

1. Canon Speedlite 430EX

2.Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L 

3. Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

5.Canon EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6

6. Canon EOS 50D (its sitting on a battery grip) 

7. EF 50mm f/1.4 

8. EF 24-105 f/4L IS

9. EOS 5d mk3 on a hoage(?) L bracket off amazon.

10. Canon EOS 1000 (This was my dad's old camera and the first camera I ever used with the exception of some kodak one use cameras.) 

DSC_0037.thumb.JPG.bc34c777d40ef43554673ad272bae715.JPG

The bag is a lowepro 450AW (you can get it for hald MSRP from koreans on ebay, its a bag, not much to worry about.) A good point is it has standard molle webbing on the outside which allows me to put the tripod or filter pouch on the outside if I need to carry clothes or some other stuff inside it. I could also attch accessories like knives first aid kits etc I have from the army or my hiking/scouting days.

The tripod that takes up half the space is the 3LT Albert. (Another thing that you can get for a pretty good discount off ebay, and that should be of the longer investments one should make).  

That pouch inside there between the tripod and the EOS 1000 is my Formatt-Hitech filter kit, it currently only has 2 filters 0.9ND and grad 0.9ND, but I have my eye on the lee big stopper and 1.2 soft grad ND (I will get the grad at some point in the near future probably, the lee I will get once I get). 

There's also a peak-design slide strap under the camera, I find its quite useful if not quite expensive for a strap, but, you can attach an anchor link on the tripod and carry it on the strap with the other anchor on the L-Bracket when trying to quickly relocate, and the big seller for me is that it can be quickly removed and/or attached to another body. 

DSC_0039.thumb.JPG.b3b7d9766a852eedeb782ced51b235bc.JPG

This is an assortment of remote triggers/intervalometers, extra lens and body caps, a couple of 3rd party extra batteries a lens cloth and one use wet lenswipes (lidl has something like a £1.50 for 50 of them or something). There's also some arca QR plates, I have a couple now, they seem to come with every accrssory I get, so why not carry a couple with me just in case and a blank piece of A4 paper to adjust WB when I have time until I manage to get a good WB card at some point. 

There also a couple of rolls of fuji ISO 200 film on the top pocket. 

It can kinda be seen on the 2nd photo but there's a viltrox capture clip on the left backpack strap, it was useful with a csc, the 5d is quite heavy for it, but the eos 1000 with the 50mm is quite fine on there. 

The thing weighs quite a lot too, right now its at 9kg, which isn't much compared to an army pack, but still a lot for most people to hike with for long. With tripod and other stuff outside and a raincoat, laptop and some other stuff it could easily go up to 13-15kg. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Well, here is an image of my most "essential" gear. 

IMG_0955.thumb.JPG.aef5e817d3c88e2698dd791cf6491d4d.JPG

(I'm aware the image is not the best. The lightning on my shelf is kinda meh) 

Here is a list of what it is more exactly: 

• Sennheiser Momentums On ear
  • Joby Gorrilapod
  • Siurui Travel tripod, can't remember the exact model
  • Nikkor 50 1.8 with Sony E adapter
  • Nikon 28 2.8 
  • Sony 55-210
  • Sony 16-50 Kit
  • Sony A5000 with the Sigma 60 2.8
  • Nikon FE with a 100 2.8
  • And my watch haha. It's a Fossil if anyone is very interested of that

I've also got a drawer full of smaller accessories as SD cards, filters and small things like that. The A5000 is also planned to be replaced untill summer but for now it does well unless you need good AF. 

I don't have things like gas mask, like OP, or kevlar vests like @AkiraDaarkst but I do have a shit ton of outdoor gear that I frequently use when I go out and shoot landscapes or sports like climbig, trail running and so on. I have probably spent a lot more money on those things than my photography gear so far...

I could easily tell you guys some of my favorite gear for those occasions that will help you have a good time in the Swedish nature if anyone would be interested. Got 10+ years of experience with those things so. Everything from tents to clothes and accessories. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"