Computer wont boot after installing new cpu.

Zackiz

So I installed a new cpu and the computer wont boot. It starts, the cpu fan sounds like it goes up to max for a few seconds, then goes back down and the computer is on, but it doesnt do anything after that. It wont even get as far so that I can get into BIOS. I can then swap back to my old cpu and everything works as it should. I have updated my BIOS when I had the old cpu installed. I have checked and doubblechecked that is was correctly installed.

What should I do next? I'm out of ideas at this point.

New cpu: Intel Core i5 4690k

Old cpu: Intel Pentium G3220

Motherboard: Asus B85M-G

Put the pentium back in and update to the latest BIOS found on the ASUS website. 

To further explain, the 4690k is actually a Haswell refresh chip, so some B85 boards need a BIOS update to support them. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

3 minutes ago, Zackiz said:

So I installed a new cpu and the computer wont boot. It starts, the cpu fan sounds like it goes up to max for a few seconds, then goes back down and the computer is on, but it doesnt do anything after that. It wont even get as far so that I can get into BIOS. I can then swap back to my old cpu and everything works as it should. I have updated my BIOS when I had the old cpu installed. I have checked and doubblechecked that is was correctly installed.

CPU may be dead if everything works with old CPU and your bios is upto date. Did you buy it new?

Start with this -

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, Vegetable said:

Put the pentium back in and update to the latest BIOS found on the ASUS website. 

He said hes already updated it

7 minutes ago, Zackiz said:

weird, i bought an ASUS b85 board a few years ago and dropped a 4th gen i7 into it with no issues, not BIOS update needed. I'll be surprised if you do need a bios update unless your board was sat on a shelf for years before you bought it. Do you have another LGA1150 system to test the i5 in ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

@Zackiz Make sure to close or unplug the PSU and to reset the CMOS, either with the jumper or by removing the battery for >10 seconds.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Thank you for the answers.

I have now:

-reset the CMOS by removing the battery, no change.

-followed that helpthread linked

I'm going to look into the BIOS again but if that doesn't work. Should I consider the cpu busted?

I bought it new btw, as the answer to a question above.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but i'm doing the same(ish) but with a used CPU. Same board a B85M-G trying to put the same i5-4690k from an I3-4130 (which if you put back in works fine). Updated BIOS, Cleared CMOS, still no sign of life from the processor. All fans spin up, board is fine.