How to secure Win98 in 2017

GirlFromYonder

Before you go nuts and start screaming don't use win98 in 2017.... I like retro stuff specially retro games and I wanted a win98

Spoiler

VM (VIRTUAL MACHINE) NOT MY ACTUAL MAIN OS

just to fool around in and have fun. Now the problem is, how do I secure a 19 year old OS as I think i wrecked this install with some virus or something......I need help.....new to this......help me 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, Droidbot said:

Reinstall it. 

Keep a snapshot of it fresh with all of your games. 

Keep it WELL FUCKING AWAY from the internet.

HUMMMM. ok

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

huh

Build

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

huh

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

What fucking magic is this?

Just shows how demanding Windows 98 really is in these days:D

You can use Internet Explorer to run Windows 98 so that you can use older Internet Explorer

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

What fucking magic is this?

LOL, but yooo, i ant it local lol. 

Build

Spoiler

Just now, WereCat said:

Just shows how demanding Windows 98 really is :D

Well, I can run it with VT instruction set disabled on my Hackintosh.. 

In fact somehow I can run up to XP in a VM without it on. 

idk

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

BS

PURRRRRRRRRRRRRFECT

Build

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Just shows how demanding Windows 98 really is in these days:D

You can use Internet Explorer to run Windows 98 so that you can use older Internet Explorer

Yo dawg.. 

Unless you really need to I'd just make sure your Win98 VM box can't connect to the internet.

Does you mum know you're here?

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Yo dawg.. 

We heard you liked Internet Explorer, so we installed an Internet Explorer inside your Internet Explorer inside your Internet Explorer

idk

Unplug it from the internet and install steam games through USB devises or off a NAS with a FAST connection. (Direct connection to the NAS)

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Just now, Nikolithebear said:

Unplug it from the internet and install steam games through USB devises or off a NAS with a FAST connection. (Direct connection to the NAS)

ok

Build

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Before you go nuts and start screaming don't use win98 in 2017.... I like retro stuff specially retro games and I wanted a win98

Hide contents

VM (VIRTUAL MACHINE) NOT MY ACTUAL MAIN OS

just to fool around in and have fun. Now the problem is, how do I secure a 19 year old OS as I think i wrecked this install with some virus or something......I need help.....new to this......help me 

No internet for that thing. Believe me, don't go into Internet Explorer. If it's a VM, you don't have to worry about viruses on your main os, but still. I have the SE version of Windows 98, which I am going to install on one of my old PC's...

Just now, Factory OC said:

No internet for that thing. Believe me, don't go into Internet Explorer. If it's a VM, you don't have to worry about viruses on your main os, but still. I have the SE version of Windows 98, which I am going to install on one of my old PC's...

i got it off winworld which has a opera brower install already

Build

Spoiler

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

i got it off winworld which has a opera brower install already

YOU SICK PERSON, ARE YOU NOT GOING TO PAY FOR IT?

I can't really speak, I got the SE version from there as well:P.

If you really want to know how websites of today look on it, let me give you a spoiler, almost none workxD

I used Internet Explorer, so I can't really tell about Opera. I may install Firefox on my Windows 98 SE build...

48 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

We heard you liked Internet Explorer, so we installed an Internet Explorer inside your Internet Explorer inside your Internet Explorer

And this is Pawn Star!

Oops, wrong series...

Just now, Factory OC said:

YOU SICK PERSON, ARE YOU NOT GOING TO PAY FOR IT?

I can't really speak, I got the SE version from there as well:P.

If you really want to know how websites of today look on it, let me give you a spoiler, almost none workxD

I used Internet Explorer, so I can't really tell about Opera. I may install Firefox on my Windows 98 SE build...

PLZ abandonware

lol

i have tried lol....barely

well i am righting putting iso on the vm through win7 so i mean..why brower when win7 is an alt+tab away

Build

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

well i am righting putting iso on the vm through win7 so i mean..why brower when win7 is an alt+tab away

I want to use real hardware, instead of a VM. I guess I should just stop watching LGR...

VM's are buggy with DOS based operating systems.

9 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I want to use real hardware, instead of a VM. I guess I should just stop watching LGR...

VM's are buggy with DOS based operating systems.

well i had a pentium 3 machine which i fucked up years ago. like 2013. descided to reassemble it for pratise. had parts all over the bed and shit. it was winter and shit. maybe esd and shit. ooh dear. but like ill buy another now 

Build

Spoiler

well i had a pentium 3 machine which i fucked up years ago. like 2013. descided to reassemble it for pratise. had parts all over the bed and shit. it was winter and shit. maybe esd and shit. ooh dear. but like ill buy another now 

I am on my way to under clock a Pentium 4 to 700MHz, and installing Windows 98 SE on it. I also have a 80 GB IDE drive and a card that supports Windows 98. It's sadly not a 3DFX card, so I guess I won't be able to play 3DFX version of games then. I may do that this vacation, which starts in 5 days.