Moving out of country and What Resolution/Monitor Recommendation should I go with?

Drizzt

I am building a PC in May, the only reason I am not doing it now is because I will be moving two times in the next month including out of country for over a year. My build will feature the following:

I7700k

16gb DDR4

SSD/HDD

And for the gpu I will be doing one of the following choices:

Gtx 1080

Amd vega if released..

Or gtx 1060/used 980 ti and upgrade for gtx 20xx series when it is released.

I am not sure if I should go 1080p, 1440p, ultra wide, 4k, ect.

I have been eyeing curved ultra wide displays at 1080p and 1440p but it is hard for me to justify spending $1100 on a monitor alone....

What do you guys think I should do?

Also I will be moving to Korea, should I buy some pc parts before moving there idk if it is going to be more expensive/cheaper there. Just don't want to assemble a pc and have to disassemble twice in one month. Thank you.

That 75Hz (or was it 100Hz?) LG 2560x1080 looks pretty nice.

Otherwise if I were you I would either go with: 34" 3440x1440 (LG makes some nice ones that are more affordable than the Acer or Asus panels), 27" 4K or 27" 1440p (possibly 144Hz). If you're going with 27" I would get two displays.

But really depends on what kind of room you will have. 

Also, the GTX 970 Ti doesn't exist (only just '970') and I have no clue on the prices on stuff in Korea, so can't comment on that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

That 75Hz (or was it 100Hz?) LG 2560x1080 looks pretty nice.

Otherwise if I were you I would either go with: 34" 3440x1440 (LG makes some nice ones that are more affordable than the Acer or Asus panels), 27" 4K or 27" 1440p (possibly 144Hz). If you're going with 27" I would get two displays.

But really depends on what kind of room you will have. 

Also, the GTX 970 Ti doesn't exist (only just '970') and I have no clue on the prices on stuff in Korea, so can't comment on that.

Thanks I meant 980ti. I will take a closer look at LG monitors. I would just prefer to match free sync/g sync up but I may have to just wait if it is going to cost me outrageous amounts.

Just now, Drizzt said:

Thanks I meant 980ti. I will take a closer look at LG monitors. I would just prefer to match free sync/g sync up but I may have to just wait if it is going to cost me outrageous amounts.

G-sync is proprietary bullshit.

in may AMD Vega will be out already, so just get that. (for freesync support)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

If you are moving, get a small monitor (Probs 16:9, not ultrawide). If you are not planning on doing content creation (i.e mainly gaming and web browsing) I would just get a 1080p monitor or maybe a 1440p. Fresh rate is up to you really, above 60hz would be better. 

If you werent moving, I would recommend a Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. Depends how much hassle you wanna go through when moving the monitor.

As other people have said, 1440p ultrawide is probably your best option. But they are pretty big for monitors. There are cheaper ones, I have seen some for $600-700. See if you can get one of those and a 1080 or a 980ti.

If you go for Nvidia, get a nice, future-proof G-Sync monitor.

Pretty cheap AND good in specs are:

- Acer Predator XB241YU

- Dell S2417dg

Both feature: 23,8", 1440p, 165 Hz, G-Sync, very good 8-bit TN Panel, so you get a nice fast response time to reduce Ghosting.

Both are at 400-500 Dollar/€, depending on the Country. If both cost the same, take the Acer, since it has a much better OSD. ^^

And depending on the country, it's cheaper than freesync. i've seen the Dell for 379 Dollar in USA, while the Freesync variant (with the same specs) costs the same.

Freesync:https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG241QX-Gaming-Monitor-2560x1440/dp/B01NCTHS6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490146158&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC+Agon+AG241QX

G-Sync: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-YNY1D-24-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B01IOO4SGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490146201&sr=8-1&keywords=s2417dg

Right now, the Dell went up in price. Was <399 a few weeks ago, New :/

However, the Freesync one shows Tearing despite Freesync. So, it does have a freesync problem (According to Prad.de, a very good german Monitor review website). Might be a driver issue tho, so take it with a grain of salt.

8 hours ago, Darkseth said:

If you go for Nvidia, get a nice, future-proof G-Sync monitor.

Pretty cheap AND good in specs are:

- Acer Predator XB241YU

- Dell S2417dg

Both feature: 23,8", 1440p, 165 Hz, G-Sync, very good 8-bit TN Panel, so you get a nice fast response time to reduce Ghosting.

Both are at 400-500 Dollar/€, depending on the Country. If both cost the same, take the Acer, since it has a much better OSD. ^^

And depending on the country, it's cheaper than freesync. i've seen the Dell for 379 Dollar in USA, while the Freesync variant (with the same specs) costs the same.

Freesync:https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG241QX-Gaming-Monitor-2560x1440/dp/B01NCTHS6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490146158&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC+Agon+AG241QX

G-Sync: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-YNY1D-24-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B01IOO4SGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490146201&sr=8-1&keywords=s2417dg

Right now, the Dell went up in price. Was <399 a few weeks ago, New :/

However, the Freesync one shows Tearing despite Freesync. So, it does have a freesync problem (According to Prad.de, a very good german Monitor review website). Might be a driver issue tho, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the info. I think the real 'future' proofing would be to wait for the 4k 144hz quantom dot HDR gsync, displays that are coming out mid 2017. They are expected to be priced just over 1k. That would be fucking awesome, hdr does look amazing, qnd all the other specs are top of the line. Still that is A LOT of money to drop into a monitor.

You're sadly wrong, those Monitors are expected to be priced at 1999 Dollar. At least the Asus one is.

I honestly see absolutely no chance for them to be priced at just over 1k, since you pay 1k almost for 1440p already, or 4k @ 60 Hz. Without HDR or quantum dots.