Question about Kaby Lake/Ryzen and using VMs

So it's apparent that newer generations of CPUs will only be supported by Microsoft on Windows 10 and not 8 and below. If one were to use, say, a 7700K or an 1800X within Windows 10 but wanted to run a Windows 7 VM would they be SOL if they wanted to have a stable VM that could run updates and all that? Just curious to see if anybody has actually tried.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It is an interesting question and I would also like to see someone try it out... Just guessing, since I don't have any of the hardware, is that it probably wouldn't work since I would assume that the Win 7 VM would be detecting that it is running on a Ryzen or Kaby Lake Processor when it tried to perform an update.

well, the thing is, "not being supported" is an entirely different thing than "not working"

my dell monitor (which has some pretty special secret sauce built in) doesnt officially support windows 10

result? the display works as expected, the software that comes with it just doesnt (which isnt necessary either way), as well as the SD card reader on the side not being functional, other than that, the experience is rock solid.

EDIT: as for updates, i'm damn sure that there's at least the possibility to fudge things to make the OS think it's on an older platform. wendell did this quite a while ago to make an nvidia geforce card work with gpu passtrough into a VM, because nvidia didnt allow you to do that with a geforce card. result: he just spoofed a mobo in his VM solution and all was good :P

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

EDIT: as for updates, i'm damn sure that there's at least the possibility to fudge things to make the OS think it's on an older platform. wendell did this quite a while ago to make an nvidia geforce card work with gpu passtrough into a VM, because nvidia didnt allow you to do that with a geforce card. result: he just spoofed a mobo in his VM solution and all was good :P

I was just wondering if there might be an easy way to spoof Windows into thinking you're operating on a different Mobo and CPU.  If so, that is probably the easiest solution.  Would also be interesting on the stability of the spoofed system.  From some of what I've seen Wendell post concerning the Ryzen IOMMU though, the AMD side might not be as easy.

3 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I was just wondering if there might be an easy way to spoof Windows into thinking you're operating on a different Mobo and CPU.  If so, that is probably the easiest solution.  Would also be interesting on the stability of the spoofed system.  From some of what I've seen Wendell post concerning the Ryzen IOMMU though, the AMD side might not be as easy.

IOMMU has always been problematic on AMD, and on intel's desktop platforms as well for that matter.

and as far as i know, as for an easy way to spoof, i dont think a regular ordinary virtualbox can do that :P