Network Switch Question

Go to solution Solved by Pandora,
Just now, Husky said:

Well it goes like this:

Router with built-in modem and WiFi > Ethernet Cable to other room > Gigabit Switch > Main PC/Servers.

So is it correct to use Ethernet 1 on the back of my router? It has ADSL In, "Internet", "Ethernet 1", Ethernet 2", "Ethernet 3", Ethernet 4"

and then the that long ethernet cable that goes into the other room plugs into the input of the switch and then my main rig plugs into no.1, server into no.2 and other server into no. 3?

should be fine then

Hi, :)

So I have 2 old Sun Microsystems SunFire X4100 servers with Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 on them and one of them is running a Minecraft Server and I am planning to do something cool with the other one, not quite sure yet though...

So the problem is:

I have my Router/Modem/Wireless AP in one room and my main rig and the 2 SunFire servers in another room. I am planning to run an ethernet cable from the router through the ceiling etc... into the room with the servers. I can only run 1 ethernet cable. I need to connect 3 computers (all support gigabit) to the internet. I cannot use WiFi for any of them because the SunFire servers don't have it and I need minimal latency.

So my plan to solve this is:

Run a single ethernet cable out the "Ethernet 1" port of my Router (Netgear D6300) to the room with the servers, put in a Gigabit Switch and then run short little ethernet cables to the 2 servers and the computer.

Now I have a few questions about my plan:

1. Will this even work?

2. Can the 2 servers and my main rig communicate together through the switch, or how does it work? (I need to join the Minecraft Server that's on the one SunFire server from my main rig)

3. Will it have low enough latency and be fast enough?

Any help will be appreciated! :)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

yes i have a similar config for my servers. this should work without any problems. almost plug and play. 

just to clarify 

Modem>router>main computer/switch>servers?

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

2 minutes ago, Husky said:

Hi, :)

So I have 2 old Sun Microsystems SunFire X4100 servers with Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 on them and one of them is running a Minecraft Server and I am planning to do something cool with the other one, not quite sure yet though...

So the problem is:

I have my Router/Modem/Wireless AP in one room and my main rig and the 2 SunFire servers in another room. I am planning to run an ethernet cable from the router through the ceiling etc... into the room with the servers. I can only run 1 ethernet cable. I need to connect 3 computers (all support gigabit) to the internet. I cannot use WiFi for any of them because the SunFire servers don't have it and I need minimal latency.

So my plan to solve this is:

Run a single ethernet cable out the "Ethernet 1" port of my Router (Netgear D6300) to the room with the servers, put in a Gigabit Switch and then run short little ethernet cables to the 2 servers and the computer.

Now I have a few questions about my plan:

1. Will this even work?

2. Can the 2 servers and my main rig communicate together through the switch, or how does it work? (I need to join the Minecraft Server that's on the one SunFire server from my main rig)

3. Will it have low enough latency and be fast enough?

Any help will be appreciated! :)

it will work

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

1 minute ago, thorbrantly101 said:

yes i have a similar config for my servers. this should work without any problems. almost plug and play. 

just to clarify 

Modem>router>main computer/switch>servers?

Well it goes like this:

Router with built-in modem and WiFi > Ethernet Cable to other room > Gigabit Switch > Main PC/Servers.

So is it correct to use Ethernet 1 on the back of my router? It has ADSL In, "Internet", "Ethernet 1", Ethernet 2", "Ethernet 3", Ethernet 4"

and then the that long ethernet cable that goes into the other room plugs into the input of the switch and then my main rig plugs into no.1, server into no.2 and other server into no. 3?

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

Just now, Husky said:

Well it goes like this:

should be fine then

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

OK, Thanks Guys! I really appreciate all your help! :)

This is a really nice community I must say!

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

Yes it will work. All of the devices should be able to talk to eachother and the latency increase from a switch is virtually nothing. 

Just bear in mind that all of the devices connecting the switch are going to be sharing a single gigabit link back to the router. If you're not making simultaneous, high bandwidth transfers across that link, you shouldn't see any performance loss.  

EDIT: I have this setup right now: 

Router > Switch > PC and AP, as well as another cable running from that switch to another, which in turn has a server and an HTPC connected. 

23 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes it will work. All of the devices should be able to talk to eachother and the latency increase from a switch is virtually nothing. 

Just bear in mind that all of the devices connecting the switch are going to be sharing a single gigabit link back to the router. If you're not making simultaneous, high bandwidth transfers across that link, you shouldn't see any performance loss.  

EDIT: I have this setup right now: 

Router > Switch > PC and AP, as well as another cable running from that switch to another, which in turn has a server and an HTPC connected. 

Thanks for your help! :) Good that it basically doesn't add latency.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

18 minutes ago, Husky said:

Thanks for your help! :) Good that it basically doesn't add latency.

Most consumer switches might add 1ms of latency at most. Switches are great because they generally don't care about the packet and just forward it out :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: