Opinions about Sennheiser GAME ZERO

f1xzor

Hey, I'm very interesting what people really think about Sennheiser GAME ZERO.

Good for music & gaming?

Build quality

Should i need to buy an AMP or a soundcard if i'd buy the GAME ZERO?

or the OnBoard sound is enough?

I've seen lots of reports come through of people that needed a soundcard or amp to get this headset to sound right. Not sure why, to be honest, as on paper it shouldn't be hard to drive.

It's definitely better than the standard recommendations for gaming headsets for both gaming (soundstage/imaging) and music (not too many gaming headsets that do this well anyhow), though I'd probably recommend the G4ME ONE if they're around the same price. The Zero uses HD5X5 drivers, which have been quite polarizing; G4ME One's use HD5X8 drivers, which are much more consistently praised. Both should run perfectly fine with onboard as long as your onboard isn't awful; either way, spending more on better headphones makes more sense than spending the same amount on headphones+an amp at this price level.

If you want to save some money on them, used is a good route for low-end Sennheiser. Both models go on eBay for under $70 used; replace the earpads with new ones if you think it's necessary and you'll have something almost-new for significantly less than the new price.

10 hours ago, flips2K said:

Hey, I'm very interesting what people really think about Sennheiser GAME ZERO.

Good for music & gaming?

Build quality

Should i need to buy an AMP or a soundcard if i'd buy the GAME ZERO?

or the OnBoard sound is enough?

10 hours ago, SSL said:

I've seen lots of reports come through of people that needed a soundcard or amp to get this headset to sound right. Not sure why, to be honest, as on paper it shouldn't be hard to drive.

I have them for my computer to play some games and talk to friends, there good headphones for that, but they dont fit well on the head, personal the headband isnt wide enough and by lowing or raising the piece it still doesnt help and the bottom half of the headphone doesnt seal against my head. It ended up not having much bass because of this. but by just forcing the headphones to seal properly by holding them they sound really good for what they are and the cost. Also if you twist the cup a certain way it undoes the screws which hold the headphones and the headband and they fling across the room, which pissed me off to hell trying to find those tiny screws.
The microphone is perfectly good enough for general talking on voips.
Ive never had a problem with needing extra amplification, my onboard is nothing super high end and does the headphones decent justice, max volume is fucking loud too loud to actually wear the headphones so no problems power wise from my use.

Im about to get rid of mine but thats because i want something better. And im about to spend like half a grand on headphones.

TLDR dont fit that well on the head for some people. Good sound. I didnt need amp or sound card. Generally reasonably happy just annoying on a few little things.

12 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Im about to get rid of mine but thats because i want something better. And im about to spend like half a grand on headphones.

what headphones? :D 

Also OP they are among the good headsets, but maybe try and see how the fit is before you buy.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

what headphones? :D 

Also OP they are among the good headsets, but maybe try and see how the fit is before you buy.

beyerdyanmic 1990s or 1770s depends if i need headphones for mixing at work which i probably wont since im probably going to be heading to a visual side of the industry and leaving the audio days behind.

1990s if its just home use. 1770s if i need to take them to work for monitor mixing, or in that case maybe ill get both.

4 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

beyerdyanmic 1990s or 1770s depends if i need headphones for mixing at work which i probably wont since im probably going to be heading to a visual side of the industry and leaving the audio days behind.

1990s if its just home use. 1770s if i need to take them to work for monitor mixing, or in that case maybe ill get both.

I have seen pretty mixed opinions on those headphones, I would love to hear some impressions once you get the 1770 or 1990

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

I have seen pretty mixed opinions on those headphones, I would love to hear some impressions once you get the 1770 or 1990

Im moving house in April May period when i switch jobs so it wont be till then.

37 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

And im about to spend like half a grand on headphones.

e87d4010-f179-4535-9faa-812a755f425c.gif

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

e87d4010-f179-4535-9faa-812a755f425c.gif

Dont know how you can talk dont you own like a couple grands worth of headphones.

Just now, Ahoy Hoy said:

Dont know how you can talk dont you own like a couple grands worth of headphones.

Naw, more like half that. I returned the T1, which if I still owned would make it over $2k.

I thought this thread would be about the whole Game One vs. Game Zero thing. (No, I don't know which is better or what each even sounds like). People seem to say the Game One is basically an HD558, while the game zero uses an older model base who's name currently escapes me.

Oh well, anyway, that may explain why its harder to drive than expected - the Zero uses the older drivers? Just a theory. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it... though I am mildly obligated to say you can put a ModMic on an HD558 and "build your own" Game One, but I don't know what you'd have to pair it with to get the Game Zero like sound.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

Regarding Sennheiser Headsets, don't bash me yet, i heard positive things about the PC37X, yes its a Massdrop exclusive product. They use the HD598 drivers which sounds better than the Game one/zero (which are basically HD518 iirc).. At $120 its a nice deal if you ask me..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.