Build mainly being used for programming

Jladogana

Hello all!

New member but long time LTT fanboy. Due to money issues, I have not been able to build a good system in many, many years. I am starting my bachelors in IT focused on programming. I want to build a system that will last through my four year course and be able to handle just about anything I can throw at it. I have spent a fair amount of time researching CPUs, motherboards, RAM etc. I just want input from enthusiasts that have used these components rather then just relying on what I can gather from comments. 

At this time I want to run an i7-7700k with an Asus Tuf Z270, and 32Gb RAM(unsure the best). Two Intel 250Gb SSDs in RAID 0 and a 1TB WD Black HDD for storage(or two running RAID 1. Just because redundancy. At this I might as well get a good graphics card to with and watercool the whole deal. 

What do you guys think? 

Water cool and graphics card for programming? Craziness I say! Any reason you want intel SSD over other brands?

7 minutes ago, Jladogana said:

-SNIP-

Atleast you chose AN i7. Not the most practical one though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/UberGamerKing/saved/7JCqsY

Much better build

Better CPU

6 cores better than 4 for things like programming, unlike gaming

Only need 16gb of RAM

Plus can also do gaming with the 1050ti

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

15 minutes ago, Jladogana said:

Hello all!

New member but long time LTT fanboy. Due to money issues, I have not been able to build a good system in many, many years. I am starting my bachelors in IT focused on programming. I want to build a system that will last through my four year course and be able to handle just about anything I can throw at it. I have spent a fair amount of time researching CPUs, motherboards, RAM etc. I just want input from enthusiasts that have used these components rather then just relying on what I can gather from comments. 

At this time I want to run an i7-7700k with an Asus Tuf Z270, and 32Gb RAM(unsure the best). Two Intel 250Gb SSDs in RAID 0 and a 1TB WD Black HDD for storage(or two running RAID 1. Just because redundancy. At this I might as well get a good graphics card to with and watercool the whole deal. 

What do you guys think? 

I mean, Ryzen's only like $350. I vote you get that. Does programming make use of many threads anyway?

19 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I mean, Ryzen's only like $350. I vote you get that. Does programming make use of many threads anyway?

Write the codes takes as much resources as using the notepad to be honest, it is just text, what matters though is that if the program you are doing is heavy, compiling and executing could take advantage of a neat rig, but the codes writing part could be done a cheap laptop.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

27 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Depends what he plans on doing.

Also some programs work better for Intel only, granted I haven't gotten an AMD CPU so I wouldn't be able to say with much guarentee.

As for the PC.. Anything that has hyperthreading, decent SSD, 16GB DDR3/+ RAM and a GPU will make do for almost any task for programming.. This is if you do programming only of course. Personally I have an i5u 4GB ram laptop that I use for school and work and it works fine. Never had an issue running multiple IDE's, a VM, many chrome tabs and a server running on those shabby specs. So if you just need a PC for programming then almost anything will be fine, really.

Your average Software Engineering student.