I have an issue with windows in genaral

ChevbeeHD

right so i have an issue whilst updating and trying to reset my windows.

whenever i try to update my windows to  'Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607' i get this message ' We can't install some updates because other updates are in progress. Restarting your computer may help, and we'll keep trying to update.' and after several restarts i am still having this issue. i have tried to use the windows update troubleshooter and yet have had no change.  to try to fix this problem completely i also tried to reset my PC and again it failed to reset. 

how can i solve my issues?

on a side note my MSI Live Update 6 keeps crashing i ever try to update it or even look for updates on it. i am unsure if this is related to my main issue.

My PC:

AMD FX6300 overclocked 

MSI R9 390

MSI 970 Gaming Mobo

Hyper x fury 120gb boot ssd

2Tb HDD

12GB Corsair vengeance ram 

any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

•  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 10:45 AM, ChevbeeHD said:

right so i have an issue whilst updating and trying to reset my windows.

whenever i try to update my windows to  'Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607' i get this message ' We can't install some updates because other updates are in progress. Restarting your computer may help, and we'll keep trying to update.' and after several restarts i am still having this issue. i have tried to use the windows update troubleshooter and yet have had no change.  to try to fix this problem completely i also tried to reset my PC and again it failed to reset. 

how can i solve my issues?

on a side note my MSI Live Update 6 keeps crashing i ever try to update it or even look for updates on it. i am unsure if this is related to my main issue.

My PC:

AMD FX6300 overclocked 

MSI R9 390

MSI 970 Gaming Mobo

Hyper x fury 120gb boot ssd

2Tb HDD

12GB Corsair vengeance ram 

any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

•  

Save any important data and do a wipe and reload. It sucks but I had a similar issue when I upgraded from Windows 7 straight into 10 without doing a fresh install. Corrupted the fuck out of my files and made my computer act a fool. But a fresh install fixed it all. Just out of curiosity, are you on Windows 10 right now and just trying to get it updated further? Cuz if so then it'll be a lot simpler to wipe and reload. If you need help doing so just hit me back and I can walk ya through it, but I think that'd be your best option.

On 19/03/2017 at 4:05 PM, Stylized_Violence said:

Save any important data and do a wipe and reload. It sucks but I had a similar issue when I upgraded from Windows 7 straight into 10 without doing a fresh install. Corrupted the fuck out of my files and made my computer act a fool. But a fresh install fixed it all. Just out of curiosity, are you on Windows 10 right now and just trying to get it updated further? Cuz if so then it'll be a lot simpler to wipe and reload. If you need help doing so just hit me back and I can walk ya through it, but I think that'd be your best option.

how would i go around doing that? because like you i got windows 7 originally and upgraded to windows 10 since it was cheaper. would i need a new key? or use a key cheker program to find my currant one?

since you've already installed win 10, i don't think it's possible to find your win 7 key even with keyfinders. you could reinstall win 10 clean with the option it provides. wouldn't need a key for that.

5 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

since you've already installed win 10, i don't think it's possible to find your win 7 key even with keyfinders. you could reinstall win 10 clean with the option it provides. wouldn't need a key for that.

as in resetting the pc from the pc settings? ive tried that and it didnt work 

didn't work as in how? any error messages? you also stated that your MSI install/program keeps crashing, that might be why windows updates keep failing cuz something else might be trying to update itself in the background and keeps failing thus stalling the windows update. tried doing a clean boot and running the windows updates? msconfig > "Services" tab, tick the "Hide all microsoft services" , and disable all the non microsoft services in the list. restart and try again. Ive had a few occassions with the same problem..i just leave the pc on for a some time to let it do its thing, seems to work too. you could try the clean boot option first, to rule out 3rd party services interrupting the windows updates

9 hours ago, ChevbeeHD said:

how would i go around doing that? because like you i got windows 7 originally and upgraded to windows 10 since it was cheaper. would i need a new key? or use a key cheker program to find my currant one?

I had this exact same case (without the problem you had, I'm just talking about the W7 upgraded key). I did a fresh install from an ISO I created with the Windows Media creation tool, and the key was somehow transferred at the install (I didn't even need to activate Windows). So even if you don't use the clean option and install from an USB key or CD, you'll be fine.

I'm not sure if the W7 key was stored in the UEFI, was transferred by the media creation tool or it just detected that I had the same hardware (I think it's the last option though) but people from LTT assured me it would work, and it worked.

[Insert smart comment here]

16 hours ago, ChevbeeHD said:

No new key is necessary, your system is already activated under Windows 10 and will remain so unless you change a major hardware component like the motherboard. Microsoft now ties keys to your hardware so you can reinstall as many times as you like on the same system and it'll activate each time. Go to Microsoft's website and download the .iso for Windows 10 and install it on a USB or CD. Boot to the CD/USB and it'll give you the option of formatting your drive; that's what you'll need to do. Doing a reset isn't exactly the same as a full format though it can yield similar results - this will ensure your drive gets completely zeroed out and you'll have as fresh of a drive as possible to install Windows 10 on. Follow the prompts and you should be good to go.

For the record you can still use third party key finders to find your Windows 10 key. I have mine written down in the unlikely event Windows doesn't activate automatically, I can enter it in manually and still be good to go. Best of luck!

PS - It goes without saying that you should backup all your important stuff before formatting, as that'll erase the entire drive.

i always use one trick to get windows update working again. go to services.msc and stop the windows update service. navigate to C/Windows/SoftwareDistribution and delete eveything in that folder (this is where wupdate puts its files ready for installation. Empty that folder and re-start the service, the folder should repopulate and start over again. Very commonly wupdate gets itself into a state where it has updates that need a restart to install, but it also already has a pending update waiting for the next restart as well which has already been accepted.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64