AMD NAPLES

Go to solution Solved by John_Adams,
13 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Sorry dude, It's been posted on the tech section:

yea i found that out a few minutes after i posted this. lol

I'm wondering what pricing will be like for Naples.  I expect it to be lower than equivalent-specced Xeons, but I don't know HOW low it'll go.  I'd LOVE for it to undercut X99 Core i7-68XX, but won't be surprised if it's somewhat higher, at least at the high end.  (It'd be nice to be able to at least get a 6c/12t or 8c/16t, 3.5 - 4 GHz CPU, for around the same price as an equivalent Ryzen AM4 desktop CPU.)

I will be quite disappointed, though, if the clock speed and IPC is really low, like 1.4 GHz or something like that.

I'm currently running a 4790K, but am feeling some of the limits, for example no future faster CPUs available on LGA1150, only supporting 32GB RAM, etc.  I haven't run into PCI-E limits yet (all I have is a single GTX 1060), but I do want plenty of room to grow for storage, NICs, adding extra USB / SATA / M.2 ports as needed, adding SAS / U.2, upgrading RAM (beyond 64 or 128 GB), etc, while being able to keep the same motherboard for a decade or more.

(Or, if I could learn how to quickly and easily swap out motherboards, as quickly as you guys swap out SSDs, GPUs (except under custom water loops), etc, that'd probably be better than hanging onto the same board almost forever.)

Just now, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'm wondering what pricing will be like for Naples.  I expect it to be lower than equivalent-specced Xeons, but I don't know HOW low it'll go.  I'd LOVE for it to undercut X99 Core i7-68XX, but won't be surprised if it's somewhat higher, at least at the high end.  (It'd be nice to be able to at least get a 6c/12t or 8c/16t, 3.5 - 4 GHz CPU, for around the same price as an equivalent Ryzen AM4 desktop CPU.)

I will be quite disappointed, though, if the clock speed and IPC is really low, like 1.4 GHz or something like that.

I'm currently running a 4790K, but am feeling some of the limits, for example no future faster CPUs available on LGA1150, only supporting 32GB RAM, etc.  I haven't run into PCI-E limits yet (all I have is a single GTX 1060), but I do want plenty of room to grow for storage, NICs, adding extra USB / SATA / M.2 ports as needed, adding SAS / U.2, upgrading RAM (beyond 64 or 128 GB), etc, while being able to keep the same motherboard for a decade or more.

(Or, if I could learn how to quickly and easily swap out motherboards, as quickly as you guys swap out SSDs, GPUs (except under custom water loops), etc, that'd probably be better than hanging onto the same board almost forever.)

You know, it's quite hard to create a non-power hungry chip with 32 cores, 64 threads and high clocks :P 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

14 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I myself tend to push my hardware way beyond its life expectancy. Ive gone as far as changing multiple caps and replacing a few connectors just to keep a system up. Ive never been a fan of the built to break planned obsolescence society we live in. If you have the money on your next build go for the highest quality top of the line parts maxing out everything. systems like that usually last me for 5-7 years under brutal conditions with minimal downtime. I always tell people don't build the system you need now build the system you need a year from now.

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You know, it's quite hard to create a non-power hungry chip with 32 cores, 64 threads and high clocks :P 

Yea Ive been wondering about that too but if Ryzen has shown us anything the zen architecture is well optimized from a TDP standpoint.

1 hour ago, John_Adams said:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

13 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

yea i found that out a few minutes after i posted this. lol