Multiple VMs 1 GPU

Go to solution Solved by Falconevo,

This question comes up a lot and it is incredibly unlikely to hit consumer based graphics chips and driver sets.  It is currently only available within the enterprise product sphere and is expensive, you may be able to get a GPU second hand off eBay for the job, some Nvidia K series cards to come up from time to time but still aren't cheap.

This won't work without specific hardware and drivers for the job.  What you need is an Nvidia K or M series card or AMD FirePro S equivalent

http://www.nvidia.com/object/grid-technology.html

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/server#

With the right Virtualisation platform such as Citrix Xen Server or VMWare ESXi/Horizon you can do this but you have to pay extortionate licensing for the VMWare side of it luckily Citrix Xen is open source.

TLDR, needs specific hardware, drivers and virtual stack to work.

Hello LTT Forums,

I wanted to setup a LAN party for my mates and me but wanted to avoid the logistical issue of moving many PCs and the fact they have very weak PCs. I have seen that it is possible to virtualise a GPU so it can be used by multiple VMs. My plan was to have monitors with a cheap thin client hooked up and pop a GPU in my DL160 G6 and create a couple virtual desktops. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and how they did it? Thanks

HP Proliant DL160 G6 Single Xeon E5520 @ 2.26GHz - Quad Core with HT 4GB DDR3-1333 2x 250GB SATA HDDs P410 Raid Controller

Spare Parts 2x 72.8GB 15K SAS HDDs (1 makes a clicking sound so I have assumed is damaged and should not be used)

I am already planning upgrade to 2 Hexacores and 32GB of RAM. The NVIDIA Quadro K2000 looked like a suitable GPU as I am limited to PCIe x16 Gen2 and 1 FH/FL Slot.

I am on a limited budget so I can't afford a GRID K1 or similar.

Gaming RigCPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ Stock -- MOBO: Asus X-99 DELUXE -- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-2800Mhz  -- GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX -- SSD: 240GB SanDisk Extreme Pro -- HDD: 2TD WD Black -- PSU: Corsair RM750 750W -- CASE: Corsair 760T Black  -- Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO  -- Monitor(s): 2 x Packard Bell Viseo243D

Find the two gamers one CPU video on LTT 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

That involves 2 GPUs and my server chassis only supports as single slot Full Height/ Full Length GPU. So I was looking for information on GPU virtualisation.

Gaming RigCPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ Stock -- MOBO: Asus X-99 DELUXE -- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-2800Mhz  -- GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX -- SSD: 240GB SanDisk Extreme Pro -- HDD: 2TD WD Black -- PSU: Corsair RM750 750W -- CASE: Corsair 760T Black  -- Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO  -- Monitor(s): 2 x Packard Bell Viseo243D

There is way more involved then throwing in a gpu, creating some vdi's and game away. I would recommend looking into it more on something like the vmware forums. And unless you are playing openttd, a k2000 isnt going to cut it for multiple people.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

You can dedicate 1 or more GPUs to one operating system, but you can not dedicate a GPU to multiple operating systems/virtual machines.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

yeah i havent seen any software around that will let two VMs use the same GPU. I'm running something like ine the video 2 gamers one tower. But you got me thinking. What does Nvidia use for their streaming thing? Do you think they have such techonolgy to devide one gpu for multiple VMs

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

also two hexa core cpus are not a lot. You didn't say how many VMs you want to create. You neet to know that you need some RAM for the hypervisor and sometimes dedicated cpu cores. If you want a good gaming machine that means at least 8gb per VM and 4 cores. + lets say 4 gbs for the hypervisor

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

12 hours ago, themctipers said:

Find the two gamers one CPU video on LTT 

problem

unRAID needs a dedicated GPU per opereating system, something like this isn't possible

something like Hyper-v or that VMware virtualisation opereating system (keeping forgetting it's name) allows for what he's intending it for, multiple clients to use one device

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

This question comes up a lot and it is incredibly unlikely to hit consumer based graphics chips and driver sets.  It is currently only available within the enterprise product sphere and is expensive, you may be able to get a GPU second hand off eBay for the job, some Nvidia K series cards to come up from time to time but still aren't cheap.

This won't work without specific hardware and drivers for the job.  What you need is an Nvidia K or M series card or AMD FirePro S equivalent

http://www.nvidia.com/object/grid-technology.html

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/server#

With the right Virtualisation platform such as Citrix Xen Server or VMWare ESXi/Horizon you can do this but you have to pay extortionate licensing for the VMWare side of it luckily Citrix Xen is open source.

TLDR, needs specific hardware, drivers and virtual stack to work.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply