I feel it getting worse. What can be done with my heated 7700HQ?

Kajeto

Hello. Ive been posting about my msi ge62vr 7rf probably overheating for a couple of days now, but the issue seems to get worse with every passing day. After roughly 20 minutes of gameplay the cpu goes as high as 92 degrees celcius. And im not doing anything really heavy with it, just playing rainbow six siege. Im using the Cooler Boost maximum fan speeds setting with Sport setting which basically does nothing besides turning the high performance mode on. And it wasnt like that before. Only yesterday did it max at 86 degrees celcius on the cpu. Before that it wasnt hitting 80 at all even after prolonged gaming. I started using cooler boost mode when the temps were maxing around 75 on a cpu, as i thought this may help get the temps down. Instead, since then, it was only rising. Gpu is super fine at stable 66 degrees max. I dont know what to do to get the temps down, i fear to damage my laptop. I bought it 3 weeks ago. Clean win 10 install, all drivers to date. Im using the Dragon Center. I do have a cooling pad. Help? :(

Buy a Desktop? (JK) Those temps do seem quite high go into your power options and set your minimum processor state to 5% so it throttles when you don't need the extra performance and when things just get too too hot.

But why is it getting more hot with time? Temps get higher each day.

dust blocking the heat sink vents or the quality of thermal grease deteriorated.

if u cant open up ur laptop, find a local repair shop, they will open up ur laptop clean it and tell them to put a good thermal grease. they will ususally do it for cheap

but this poblems arise atleast after a year of use..but still u can take it to a local repair shop.

Could possibly be thermal paste. I used to own a ge62. You can remove the bottom cover without voiding the warranty to check for dust in the fans, but repasting will void your warranty. If you're still under warranty you might consider shipping it back to msi to have them check, but it's up to you. repasting isn't all that difficult, but you might want to hang on to the warranty.

Try this guide on undervolting and downclocking the CPU during gaming, and see if that helps your temps. the CPU doesn't need to be running full tilt during gaming, but often it does. I have a dell with the same processor, and with undervolting and profile switching my temps are way down.

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Okay. Too much misinformation here. MSI allows repaste as long as you don't damage the laptop during the process. So warranty intact. This only applies to NA. So if u do not live in NA, u need to check with ur local MSI services. Secondly, the one of the only plausible reason ur temps could be rising day to day is if ur heatsink makes poor contact with the die. And hence the paste pumps out. Run a suite of standardized bench like occt and unigine heaven to establish a base line. Gaming is finicky. Wrong drivers or bad code for the game can fuck it up. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

5 hours ago, Kajeto said:

Hello. Ive been posting about my msi ge62vr 7rf probably overheating for a couple of days now, but the issue seems to get worse with every passing day. After roughly 20 minutes of gameplay the cpu goes as high as 92 degrees celcius. And im not doing anything really heavy with it, just playing rainbow six siege. Im using the Cooler Boost maximum fan speeds setting with Sport setting which basically does nothing besides turning the high performance mode on. And it wasnt like that before. Only yesterday did it max at 86 degrees celcius on the cpu. Before that it wasnt hitting 80 at all even after prolonged gaming. I started using cooler boost mode when the temps were maxing around 75 on a cpu, as i thought this may help get the temps down. Instead, since then, it was only rising. Gpu is super fine at stable 66 degrees max. I dont know what to do to get the temps down, i fear to damage my laptop. I bought it 3 weeks ago. Clean win 10 install, all drivers to date. Im using the Dragon Center. I do have a cooling pad. Help? :(

Yeah you need to establish a baseline and repaste as pendragon said. Then you need to undervolt your CPU after.

This is one of the reasons I am remiss to recommend GE series from MSI, though. Unless one is willing to put in a good deal of work to get a "decent" performance baseline, these machines are borderline terrible.

Skylake was unnaturally cool for a CPU architecture. Kaby Lake is not; it's closer to Ivy Bridge. It's not AS hot as Haswell, though.

Maxwell was EXTREMELY cool for a GPU architecture. Pascal is the polar opposite; hottest architecture ever released as far as I know.

Skylake + Maxwell let bad cooling systems work better.

Skylake + Pascal hurt bad cooling systems greatly, but shared systems and an undervolt on the CPU with some elbow grease helped.

Kaby Lake + Pascal is death to bad cooling systems. GE/GP is decidedly "bad" without extreme amounts of work done on them.

Your laptop is "GxxxVR" which means it has a 1060N or higher, and a 7700HQ or higher. With a bad cooling system it's pretty expected that you'll have those problems. Good luck tweaking!

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

On 2/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, Kajeto said:

I think Ill rma it :( thats a damn shame :(

Just clean and repaste the laptop and you should be fine, use something like IC Diamond so it'll last longer.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

• 2 weeks later...

I have a laptop with 6700hq, and I want to under volt as well. Is there a software that is recommended? My laptop BIOS doesn't give me the option to prevent any type of turbo boost or anything, and I also get some high temps while gaming. High 80s and occasional 90s scare me. The GPU doesn't get that hot, so I'm not worried about that.

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I have a laptop with 6700hq, and I want to under volt as well. Is there a software that is recommended? My laptop BIOS doesn't give me the option to prevent any type of turbo boost or anything, and I also get some high temps while gaming. High 80s and occasional 90s scare me. The GPU doesn't get that hot, so I'm not worried about that.

Throttlestop is best. XTU is much easier but not as good. 

Laptop Main

Just now, Pendragon said:

Throttlestop is best. XTU is much easier but not as good. 

What makes Throttlestop the best? I didn't like that it looks like it has a built in advertising bar. I just started playing with XTU this morning.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

What makes Throttlestop the best? I didn't like that it looks like it has a built in advertising bar. I just started playing with XTU this morning.

more control. preset settings, multiple modes. for example, I can have a heavy undervolt when i'm on battery and oced when i'm plugged in with a press of a button. I have them binded to the macro keys on my AW15 R3. Macro 1 is the battery -150mv setting with -20mv on iGPU. Macro 2 is OC with more voltage at 4.0ghz. you can have a high degree of customization such as starting the program when windows start so it recognizes the uv or oc. whereas on xtu you need to write a bat script to have it on everytime. 

Laptop Main

40 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

more control. preset settings, multiple modes. for example, I can have a heavy undervolt when i'm on battery and oced when i'm plugged in with a press of a button. I have them binded to the macro keys on my AW15 R3. Macro 1 is the battery -150mv setting with -20mv on iGPU. Macro 2 is OC with more voltage at 4.0ghz. you can have a high degree of customization such as starting the program when windows start so it recognizes the uv or oc. whereas on xtu you need to write a bat script to have it on everytime. 

Wow, thanks! That does sound more better. I'll download it after work tonight!

On 25/02/2017 at 2:02 PM, D2ultima said:

Yeah you need to establish a baseline and repaste as pendragon said. Then you need to undervolt your CPU after.

This is one of the reasons I am remiss to recommend GE series from MSI, though. Unless one is willing to put in a good deal of work to get a "decent" performance baseline, these machines are borderline terrible.

Skylake was unnaturally cool for a CPU architecture. Kaby Lake is not; it's closer to Ivy Bridge. It's not AS hot as Haswell, though.

Maxwell was EXTREMELY cool for a GPU architecture. Pascal is the polar opposite; hottest architecture ever released as far as I know.

Skylake + Maxwell let bad cooling systems work better.

Skylake + Pascal hurt bad cooling systems greatly, but shared systems and an undervolt on the CPU with some elbow grease helped.

Kaby Lake + Pascal is death to bad cooling systems. GE/GP is decidedly "bad" without extreme amounts of work done on them.

Your laptop is "GxxxVR" which means it has a 1060N or higher, and a 7700HQ or higher. With a bad cooling system it's pretty expected that you'll have those problems. Good luck tweaking!

Would you recommend sticking to a skylake cpu instead of a kaby lake one? And for the gpu architecture, are you saying the maxwell cards like the 960,970,980m cards are cooler than the new pascal cards such as the 1050,1050ti,1060...? Does that mean I should go with a maxwell based laptop gpu if I want something that doesn't heat up that much?

10 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

Would you recommend sticking to a skylake cpu instead of a kaby lake one? And for the gpu architecture, are you saying the maxwell cards like the 960,970,980m cards are cooler than the new pascal cards such as the 1050,1050ti,1060...? Does that mean I should go with a maxwell based laptop gpu if I want something that doesn't heat up that much?

It means that you should find a laptop with good cooling and give fewer fucks about the looks.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

It means that you should find a laptop with good cooling and give fewer fucks about the looks.

Lol I don't care about looks, I'm asking about the skylake vs kaby lake and maxwell vs pascal..

2 hours ago, ramo55 said:

Lol I don't care about looks, I'm asking about the skylake vs kaby lake and maxwell vs pascal..

6700HQ is 300Mhz slower than 7700HQ, and pascal notebook cards are much better than maxwell ones (in a decent laptop anyway)... just find one that cools better. I would only suggest Skylake if you're using a 6820HK or 6920HQ and not using windows 10.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

55 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

6700HQ is 300Mhz slower than 7700HQ, and pascal notebook cards are much better than maxwell ones (in a decent laptop anyway)... just find one that cools better. I would only suggest Skylake if you're using a 6820HK or 6920HQ and not using windows 10.

I'm still waiting for thy glorius P870DM3 review

Laptop Main

I'm still waiting for thy glorius P870DM3 review

It's coming. I'll have enough storage and the shims and thermal pads soon

1 minute ago, D2ultima said:

It's coming. I'll have enough storage and the shims and thermal pads soon

Is the 3200mhz cl16 ripjaws stable for Kaby Lake yet?

Laptop Main

Is the 3200mhz stable for Kaby Lake yet?

I haven't even opened it to get it to boot with XMP cuz lazy honestly. I really should xD

9 hours ago, ramo55 said:

Just get a rebranded clevo, they can cool kaby and pascal

http://www.hidevolution.com/new-laptops/gaming-laptops/evoc-clevo/15-inch-gaming-laptops

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

26 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

If only they looked a bit better :(

Lol I don't care about looks,

you just said that you didn't care about looks, but yeah that is kinda what you have to deal with when you want good cooling