I feel it getting worse. What can be done with my heated 7700HQ?

Kajeto
39 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

you just said that you didn't care about looks, but yeah that is kinda what you have to deal with when you want good cooling

When you quoted me the first time you said I should give less "fucks" about looks, and I replied I don't care about looks, I never mentioned them in my question. After reviewing the laptops you sent I noticed that most of them don't look that good and now I'm saying it's a shame that gaming laptops that have good cooling don't look that good. But ohh well, I feel like I'm gonna wait for that one company to come and make a good looking laptop with good cooling that everyone will buy.

3 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

When you quoted me the first time you said I should give less "fucks" about looks, and I replied I don't care about looks, I never mentioned them in my question. After reviewing the laptops you sent I noticed that most of them don't look that good and now I'm saying it's a shame that gaming laptops that have good cooling don't look that good. But ohh well, I feel like I'm gonna wait for that one company to come and make a good looking laptop with good cooling that everyone will buy.

you are going to wait a long time, at least they don't look that gamery IRL.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

you are going to wait a long time, at least they don't look that gamery IRL.

Yeah I guess, such a shame :(

Or I could bite the bullet and get the laptop that I want and just take care of the temps and stuff. My current laptop idles at 50ish and under load reaches a maximum of 90c. This is after cleaning fans and a repaste lol. Before it would reach 101-103 so any new laptop that can beat those temps I guess will be okay.

3 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

Yeah I guess, such a shame :(

Or I could bite the bullet and get the laptop that I want and just take care of the temps and stuff. My current laptop idles at 50ish and under load reaches a maximum of 90c. This is after cleaning fans and a repaste lol. Before it would reach 101-103 so any new laptop that can beat those temps I guess will be okay.

higher temps = shorter life

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

higher temps = shorter life

Yep, I know. But the thing is, realistically how long is a short life, everyone says this but has anyone's laptop really died after like a year of constant high temps? and how high is high temps? Do you get the dilema we are all in?

10 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

Yep, I know. But the thing is, realistically how long is a short life, everyone says this but has anyone's laptop really died after like a year of constant high temps? and how high is high temps? Do you get the dilema we are all in?

well it is different from laptop to laptop, since they place different things around the CPU and GPU.

If we talk razer kinda temps, then about a year and you should start to see results of it getting too hot, if it isn't dead. 

A laptop with good cooling generally last about 5 years.  

Generally temps above 85c is really bad for your laptop, the CPU and GPU wouldn't be at risk, but the chips around them would be, simply because they aren't made to withstand the same temps.

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

well it is different from laptop to laptop, since they place different things around the CPU and GPU.

If we talk razer kinda temps, then about a year and you should start to see results of it getting too hot, if it isn't dead. 

A laptop with good cooling generally last about 5 years.  

Generally temps above 85c is really bad for your laptop, the CPU and GPU wouldn't be at risk, but the chips around them would be, simply because they aren't made to withstand the same temps.

How can you generally tell? The xps 15 for example, a quick look at that and I can't really tell if the items around the cpu and gpu would be affected by heat or not?

5 hours ago, ramo55 said:

How can you generally tell? The xps 15 for example, a quick look at that and I can't really tell if the items around the cpu and gpu would be affected by heat or not?

use common sense. look at heatpipe design. look at components inside. look at reviews. look at historicals. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Undervolt it.  I think you can get it to -100mV on a 7700HQ.  Here's a video.