Home Theater System for PC and TV

MasterLow

Hi there I'm a Kiwi/from New Zealand and am looking for a decent home theater system that is compatible with my T.V and my PC. (doesn't have to be connected to both at the same time) I bought an older theater system that had a S.D.I.F/Optical port so i tried hooking it up to my PC, my T.V and my Xbox but to no avail I just couldn't seem to get any sound out of them (they are Konka and old so I don't know the exact model and I don't really care either) so I'm buying a New Home Theater system that is hopefully good and can hook up to my PC and T.V (if it can't hook up to my PC Ill still buy one for my T.V!) thanks. 

onyko systems are my recommendation. i built 3 of them and loved them. i have also added PC, TV, CD, Record player, Tape deck to them. the biggest thing you need to look at is how many AUX ports you want. there mid range systems genuinely comes with two (TV, PC) but my last system had 4 AUX ports i had my TV, DVD, PC, and traded cords between VCR and Laptop. but whatever you decide AUX ports are the most important for adding devices to any setup. also look at can you add an post amp for more bass or light sound for movies. most systems don't care but a few do.

if at first you don't break it you must have followed the directions

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 0:37 AM, MasterLow said:

Hi there I'm a Kiwi/from New Zealand and am looking for a decent home theater system that is compatible with my T.V and my PC. (doesn't have to be connected to both at the same time) I bought an older theater system that had a S.D.I.F/Optical port so i tried hooking it up to my PC, my T.V and my Xbox but to no avail I just couldn't seem to get any sound out of them (they are Konka and old so I don't know the exact model and I don't really care either) so I'm buying a New Home Theater system that is hopefully good and can hook up to my PC and T.V (if it can't hook up to my PC Ill still buy one for my T.V!) thanks. 

It seems to me all you need is a basic receiver with SPDIF and HDMI inputs, and HDMI output. (almost any new receiver will fit that description)

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2017 at 9:37 AM, MasterLow said:

Hi there I'm a Kiwi/from New Zealand and ... 

Any AVR from one of these brands would do: Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz. Avoid Sony and Harman/Kardon. My personal preferences go for Yamaha and Denon but that's because I know them the most. I've a list right here for models.

Also make sure they are HDCP 2.2 compliant if you ever want something in 4K.

[Insert smart comment here]