How many times can you split a fan header?

Deusrex

I currently have a an AIO liquid cooler but I'm thinking of upgrading to a custom loop. I currently have 6 fans in my case, which I can control with my 5 PWM headers on the motherboard but as I understand it the pump speed is also controlled via a PWM. So in order to use all five of my fans on radiators I'd have to split one header into three fans is that possible?

More than you could even need realistically.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Please, I repeat PLEASE, look up your motherboard specs and see how many amps the heads are rated for first. Than do the same for your fan(s).

Example:

Amps per MB header = 3 amps

Amp draw per fan = .07

3 amps div. .07 draw = 4.28

So in this example you could attach 4 fans to each header (3 if you want to leave a safety factor)

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

3 hours ago, Deusrex said:

I currently have a an AIO liquid cooler but I'm thinking of upgrading to a custom loop. I currently have 6 fans in my case, which I can control with my 5 PWM headers on the motherboard but as I understand it the pump speed is also controlled via a PWM. So in order to use all five of my fans on radiators I'd have to split one header into three fans is that possible?

As mentioned by other if you are not using a powered splitter you will not want to exceed the 1amp capacity of the header. However for PWM based fans you can get powered splitters that take 12V from the PSU and only a PWM control and RPM signal to the header. 

2 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

Please, I repeat PLEASE, look up your motherboard specs and see how many amps the heads are rated for first. Than do the same for your fan(s).

Example:

Amp draw per fan = .07

So in this example you could attach 4 fans to each header (3 if you want to leave a safety factor)

Please, show me a mainstream (say, H170 or Z170) board that has that information available.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

7 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

Example:

Amp draw per fan = .07

I didn't know it was variable, I'll look it up, I'm current using a spitter for two of the fans with no issue but I didn't want to put three on one header until I got some more information,  thanks. 

I just read through the PWM section of my Mobo manual and it doesn't specify how many amps you can draw from it.

5 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Please, show me a mainstream (say, H170 or Z170) board that has that information available.

For real though, I just read through the entire manual and couldn't find it. Each of the fans only draw . 28 amps so I'm going to assume it can handle 1A.

MSI Z97 GAMING 7

- 2 x 4-pin CPU fan connectors

- 3 x 4-pin system fan connectors

Go to the MSI site and ask support. It really is a good idea to know.

FWIW, ASUS advertises their fan header watts and amps,

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel