How does the game boost feature works on a MSI gaming motherboard?

Hi LTT community,

I want to ask questions regarding the game boost feature on the Z270 motherboard. I am going to buy the z270 Gaming M7 for my new PC setup. Right now I reading the manual in the PDF provided. I want to overclock my CPU too (7700k). However, it seems like the product page and other youtube video suggest that I don't have to access the bios to overclock anymore with the game boost feature. The question, how do I operate game boost? Also, is it a vital solution for overclocking? If I can avoid turning on expert mode that would be great because I do not want to damage my component right off the bat. Thanks in advance!

Note: JayTwoCents had a video on this but it is still confusing.

Manual overclocking through the BIOS us still an option. You can also manually overclock through MSI's Command Center app (not recommended).

But with Game Boost, you've got a nob on the bottom right corner (next to the dedicated power and reset buttons), that has 8 levels of overclocking: 0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11.

0 is stock speed, and you'll have to check the manual for the speed settings of your CPU (you can also use Game Boost or the BIOS in Command Center, but don't use the physical nob if you set it up in command center/BIOS). If you use the BIOS or Command Center software to operate game boost, it should list the speed settings for the 7th gen 'K' SKU CPUs (i3-7350K, i5-7600K, i7-7700K).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Ok. SO if I got my motherboard, could i just turn the nob to let says 5 GHz settings profile right away assuming I got a great cooler+power supply?

• 3 years later...

Bumping this bc it was one of the first things that showed up in google.

I have a B450 Tomahawk Max and am also wondering how Game Boost works on it. Is it a viable option for trying to get a small boost to performance and maybe even get an overclock out of your GPU and CPU?