Annoying bug with PB287Q / R9 390

DnFx91

So maybe once a month on average, i turn my PC on, and it boots into windows running at 3840x2160@30hz, not the glorious 60hz i expect. Irritatingly, the AMD settings panel has this notification but does not offer a solution; "we have detected a problem with your display link, so you may not be able to run desired resolutions and framerates" 

It's an easy fix i just reboot the PC and 99% of the time it fixes it, 100% of the time after 2 reboots, but clearly this isn't something i want to put up with.

I'm running the latest driver, even though this problem has persisted through the last 4 or 5 drivers.

I'm using a 1 meter Lindy Displayport 1.2 rated cable so that shouldn't be the problem, industry standard cable maker. used the shit one that came with the monitor to test that and it still did it

the PB287Q doesn't magically switch into DP 1.1 mode when this happens, i have checked before

kinda stumped, help anyone ? :)

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Is this not something you can switch back though windows?  Sometimes my monitor defaults to 60Hz from 75Hz and I have to change it back to 75 through the windows personalize menu.  Could be the latest driver though, have you tried an earlier driver?  I know some people are having issues with 480 crossfire screen flicker here on the forum so maybe it's just the new driver.

EDIT: just saw that you said it persists through earlier drivers, my bad.

Also this may be a long shot but does this persist after restarting the monitor a few times?

Just did a quick search online and this seems to be an issue for both red and green team with the monitor.  From what I understand it has to do with windows detecting the monitor as displayport 1.1 and not 1.2 occasionally.  A common fix was to switch the monitor from 1.2 to 1.1 and then back to 1.2.  

I don't know if there is a permanent fix as the issue seems to be between the monitor's controller and windows itself, not necessarily on the driver side.

I hope I'm wrong though, because permanent issues with costly hardware really do suck.

8 hours ago, alextheaverage said:

Also this may be a long shot but does this persist after restarting the monitor a few times?

Just did a quick search online and this seems to be an issue for both red and green team with the monitor.  From what I understand it has to do with windows detecting the monitor as displayport 1.1 and not 1.2 occasionally.  A common fix was to switch the monitor from 1.2 to 1.1 and then back to 1.2.  

I don't know if there is a permanent fix as the issue seems to be between the monitor's controller and windows itself, not necessarily on the driver side.

I hope I'm wrong though, because permanent issues with costly hardware really do suck.

thanks for the help, it does make sense that it's to do with how the monitor is reporting itself to windows. i have tried restarting the monitor before which doesnt seem to help, even pulling the plug to kill standby and do a cold start, it still turns back on at 60hz, in DP 1.2 mode, but with a 30hz signal on it. only ever gets fixed by restarting the PC. As for your previous post, one of the first things i tried was to look in advanced display adapter settings and look at the available modes, and 3840x2160@60 was most definitely missing from the list. Upon reboot, the option has reappeared in that list and is already selected. It's just weird that there doesnt seem to be any pattern to what causes it, i have the same routine for turning my PC and peripherals off, so they are always turned on from the same initial state, yet sometimes it just decides to boot at 30hz.  Can you please link the forums where you found people with similar issues ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

9 hours ago, alextheaverage said:

now i'm really confused, it just did it again this morning, so i again tried changing the DP mode on the monitor, it was set to DP1.2 as expected, so i changed it to 1.1 with the intention of changing it back again, however it then decided to run 3840x2160@60 in 1.1 mode, which is not possible. Is my monitor tripping out ? 

Home PC:

Work PC:

On 2/5/2017 at 8:42 AM, DnFx91 said:

now i'm really confused, it just did it again this morning, so i again tried changing the DP mode on the monitor, it was set to DP1.2 as expected, so i changed it to 1.1 with the intention of changing it back again, however it then decided to run 3840x2160@60 in 1.1 mode, which is not possible. Is my monitor tripping out ? 

Sorry for the late reply, maybe your monitor is just wigging out?  Guess leave it in 1.1 until it bugs out again and check to see what setting it's on.  Hope you don't see the issue again though since even though it's odd you wont be having anymore problems.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 5:06 AM, alextheaverage said:

Is this not something you can switch back though windows?  Sometimes my monitor defaults to 60Hz from 75Hz and I have to change it back to 75 through the windows personalize menu.  Could be the latest driver though, have you tried an earlier driver?  I know some people are having issues with 480 crossfire screen flicker here on the forum so maybe it's just the new driver.

EDIT: just saw that you said it persists through earlier drivers, my bad.

I finally figured it out. The monitor gets a bit flaky when it's been on standby for a few weeks. power cycling the monitor instantly fixes it without rebooting the PC, and doesnt happen again until the monitor has been on standby for a couple weeks. Not such a huge problem after all i guess. Can't imagine ASUS left one of these on standby for a month during testing so i'll let them off.

Home PC:

Work PC:

On 2/24/2017 at 0:58 PM, DnFx91 said:

I finally figured it out. The monitor gets a bit flaky when it's been on standby for a few weeks. power cycling the monitor instantly fixes it without rebooting the PC, and doesnt happen again until the monitor has been on standby for a couple weeks. Not such a huge problem after all i guess. Can't imagine ASUS left one of these on standby for a month during testing so i'll let them off.

Glad it's something preventable then lol.  Hope you have a relatively trouble free future.