Asus ZenBook Pro N501VW egpu Compatibility

Hi, 
i own an Asus ZenBook Pro N501VW (AKA UX501VW Skylake revision), it has a thunderbolt 3 i would like to purchase an egpu for it.
The Asus Website says its not compatible with an egpu.. 
Does this mean that it will just wont work? or that its not officially supported but can work?
Is there an egpu config that will work with my laptop (Via Thunderbolt 3)?? 
Recommendations please :) 

Specs: 
Model: ASUS UX501VW "Zenbook Pro"
GTX960M GPU
Core i7-6700HQ CPU
16 GB DDR4
512 GB NVMe SSD
4k 15.6 glossy display with touchscreen

Thanks A lot!!

Where does it say that it's not compatible with an eGPU? Couldn't find anything about that on the product page.

In theory something like the Powercolor Devil Box should be universal. However, it's expensive.

You can buy a complete i5 - 6500 system (sans graphics card) for the price of the eGPU enclosure, and it'll perform better.

The eGPU solution will take a roughly 25% hit performance wise vs the same card in a desktop.

Plus with the dedicated desktop you're not straining your laptop.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

29 minutes ago, LifeWriter said:

Hi, 
i own an Asus ZenBook Pro N501VW (AKA UX501VW Skylake revision), it has a thunderbolt 3 i would like to purchase an egpu for it.
The Asus Website says its not compatible with an egpu.. 
Does this mean that it will just wont work? or that its not officially supported but can work?
Is there an egpu config that will work with my laptop (Via Thunderbolt 3)?? 
Recommendations please :) 

Specs: 
Model: ASUS UX501VW "Zenbook Pro"
GTX960M GPU
Core i7-6700HQ CPU
16 GB DDR4
512 GB NVMe SSD
4k 15.6 glossy display with touchscreen

Thanks A lot!!

You could supposedly use an eGPU enclosure after a BIOS Update (as quoted by a reddit user). Considering you have a Desktop GPU already, It would cost you $300 for the enclosure alone and I am talking about XG Station 2 from ASUS.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Where does it say that it's not compatible with an eGPU? Couldn't find anything about that on the product page.

In theory something like the Powercolor Devil Box should be universal. However, it's expensive.

You can buy a complete i5 - 6500 system (sans graphics card) for the price of the eGPU enclosure, and it'll perform better.

The eGPU solution will take a roughly 25% hit performance wise vs the same card in a desktop.

Plus with the dedicated desktop you're not straining your laptop.

Here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1031509/ That's from this FAQ: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/N501VW/HelpDesk/

It's really weird since there is no actual use for the thunderbolt 3 in this laptop but an eGPU!!! and if this damn laptop would have performed like it was supposed to i wouldn't even think about this.. its overheating to a point of thermal throttling while gaming and i just want performance.

I'll look into the powercolor thing now thanks!

I Agree with you about the Costs being high i just don't have the space even for a Mid-Tower.

Plus i travel a lot and my laptop is attached to me and i wouldn't like to deal with two machines...

But if this will be too expensive i'll consider selling this laptop and just getting a newer one.

2 minutes ago, Sampath said:

You could supposedly use an eGPU enclosure after a BIOS Update (as quoted by a reddit user). Considering you have a Desktop GPU already, It would cost you $300 for the enclosure alone and I am talking about XG Station 2 from ASUS.

Realy?! that's great news! could you point me to the reddit topic please? :D

6 minutes ago, LifeWriter said:

Realy?! that's great news! could you point me to the reddit topic please? :D

The thing is it is for UX501VW, but it really doesn't matter unless the BIOS versions don't match out. By the way here is the link. https://goo.gl/slFzS5

4 minutes ago, LifeWriter said:

Here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1031509/ That's from this FAQ: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/N501VW/HelpDesk/

It's really weird since there is no actual use for the thunderbolt 3 in this laptop but an eGPU!!! and if this damn laptop would have performed like it was supposed to i wouldn't even think about this.. its overheating to a point of thermal throttling while gaming and i just want performance.

I'll look into the powercolor thing now thanks!

I Agree with you about the Costs being high i just don't have the space even for a Mid-Tower.

Plus i travel a lot and my laptop is attached to me and i wouldn't like to deal with two machines...

But if this will be too expensive i'll consider selling this laptop and just getting a newer one.

Honestly, you bought an ultrabook. They're not supposed to perform well during gaming. They're designed more with portability in mind. You have anything that slim, it's going to get quite hot during gaming.

You don't want to carry around two machines? Do you think the eGPU dock is smaller than an mITX case? It's most likely not.

I'd check to see if it's the CPU throttling. If it is, then the eGPU isn't really going to solve your heat issue, and it'll kill your laptop a lot quicker.

A proper current gaming laptop with a GTX 1050/1060+ would be a better way to go I think. Especially once you factor in the $400 for the enclosure plus the $300 for the GPU.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Honestly, you bought an ultrabook. They're not supposed to perform well during gaming. They're designed more with portability in mind. You have anything that slim, it's going to get quite hot during gaming.

You don't want to carry around two machines? Do you think the eGPU dock is smaller than an mITX case? It's most likely not.

I'd check to see if it's the CPU throttling. If it is, then the eGPU isn't really going to solve your heat issue, and it'll kill your laptop a lot quicker.

A proper current gaming laptop with a GTX 1050/1060+ would be a better way to go I think. Especially once you factor in the $400 for the enclosure plus the $300 for the GPU.

I never had high expectations from it.. but its underperforming in titles like Heroes of the storm(1080 High), Starcraft 2(1080 Med\High), Battlefield 1(1080 low)..

i mostly get stuttering after a few 15 minutes of playtime.. when i use my cooler its mostly fine.. 

I wouldn't carry the eGPU i just thought i would take less room, but i see what your saying i might just opt for changing this laptop altogether.

Now where do i get 2kg laptop with a decent 1060 performance?!  haha

35 minutes ago, LifeWriter said:

I never had high expectations from it.. but its underperforming in titles like Heroes of the storm(1080 High), Starcraft 2(1080 Med\High), Battlefield 1(1080 low)..

i mostly get stuttering after a few 15 minutes of playtime.. when i use my cooler its mostly fine.. 

I wouldn't carry the eGPU i just thought i would take less room, but i see what your saying i might just opt for changing this laptop altogether.

Now where do i get 2kg laptop with a decent 1060 performance?!  haha

Not sure on the performance aspect but I know MSI has some pretty light 1060 equipped laptops. The Razer Blade is another option. I think as far as battery life goes the XPS 15 would be a good bet but it only comes with a 1050. The GL502VM is a pretty sick rig for the price. A hair over 2kg though. Definitely aim for the 7th gen processors.

https://www.amazon.com/GL502VM-DB71-i7-6700HQ-Windows-Ultraportable-Notebook/dp/B01KGA63LI

That's a pretty good bundle though..

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Not sure on the performance aspect but I know MSI has some pretty light 1060 equipped laptops. The Razer Blade is another option. I think as far as battery life goes the XPS 15 would be a good bet but it only comes with a 1050. The GL502VM is a pretty sick rig for the price. A hair over 2kg though. Definitely aim for the 7th gen processors.

https://www.amazon.com/GL502VM-DB71-i7-6700HQ-Windows-Ultraportable-Notebook/dp/B01KGA63LI

That's a pretty good bundle though..

MSI failed me too many times with really loud fan noise, and bad cooling overall plus i really didn't like their build quality.

but that's my personal view and might be just bad experience...

Razer Blade is just too expensive for me plus they don't have support in israel..

i would've considered alienware if they weren't crazily heavy, they are really reliable and that a main thing for me plus they have a great service here..

Man this Asus is great i might just get this one Thanks a lot for the help!!!

8 hours ago, LifeWriter said:

MSI failed me too many times with really loud fan noise, and bad cooling overall plus i really didn't like their build quality.

but that's my personal view and might be just bad experience...

Razer Blade is just too expensive for me plus they don't have support in israel..

i would've considered alienware if they weren't crazily heavy, they are really reliable and that a main thing for me plus they have a great service here..

Man this Asus is great i might just get this one Thanks a lot for the help!!!

Ah fair enough, I've never looked into the gaming laptops so I have no idea what their quality is like.

Alienware is heavy for sure but the XPS ones are light.

The 7th gen Asus is only another $100, but doesn't come with any of the extras...if those have any value to you.

Enjoy! :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Ah fair enough, I've never looked into the gaming laptops so I have no idea what their quality is like.

Alienware is heavy for sure but the XPS ones are light.

The 7th gen Asus is only another $100, but doesn't come with any of the extras...if those have any value to you.

Enjoy! :)

I wouldn't buy a "Gaming" laptop since they tend to be huge ,heavy and\or loud(and for MSI or for Alienware ;D).. and if they aren't they are *usually* just medium performers in the gaming category at best which is a problem because its hard to tell which is on the higher end of this spectrum...

XPS 15' is great but last year's model that i can afford is more or less same as my laptop so no point getting it.

and the new ones are too expensive here for some weird reason (35% more +1000$~ for the best model).

about the 7th gen, i really don't see the benefit of getting it too unless there is more into package..

Do you think there is any sense of waiting for Ryzen for a price drop?

10 hours ago, LifeWriter said:

I wouldn't buy a "Gaming" laptop since they tend to be huge ,heavy and\or loud(and for MSI or for Alienware ;D).. and if they aren't they are *usually* just medium performers in the gaming category at best which is a problem because its hard to tell which is on the higher end of this spectrum...

XPS 15' is great but last year's model that i can afford is more or less same as my laptop so no point getting it.

and the new ones are too expensive here for some weird reason (35% more +1000$~ for the best model).

about the 7th gen, i really don't see the benefit of getting it too unless there is more into package..

Do you think there is any sense of waiting for Ryzen for a price drop?

I don't think you'll see a price drop when it comes to mobile. It's not the same as desktops, where you can see the chip vs chip cost. Plus AMD has never really been that great when it comes to mobile chips.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 24.1.2017 at 11:13 PM, dizmo said:

I don't think you'll see a price drop when it comes to mobile. It's not the same as desktops, where you can see the chip vs chip cost. Plus AMD has never really been that great when it comes to mobile chips.

i guess youre right.. wish there was a good competition for intel and nvidia... these two are in control for way too long.

plus amd's chips are usually much more power hungry and they are making so many claims of being better yet still lag behind.

so it would take a lot for them to make the majority of people trust them again and buy their products the way that intel and nvidia's products are being bought..

10 hours ago, LifeWriter said:

i guess youre right.. wish there was a good competition for intel and nvidia... these two are in control for way too long.

plus amd's chips are usually much more power hungry and they are making so many claims of being better yet still lag behind.

so it would take a lot for them to make the majority of people trust them again and buy their products the way that intel and nvidia's products are being bought..

I don't think there really can be given the patents they hold and the sheer cost of starting up a business like that.

Best bet is something like Qualcomm advancing enough to compete with them.

If Ryzen lives up to its power efficiency claims, lower than Intel by almost 25%, I'll be a very happy camper.

Fingers crossed they'll be in my next rig. Depends how the X300 platform stacks up against the X370.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't think there really can be given the patents they hold and the sheer cost of starting up a business like that.

Best bet is something like Qualcomm advancing enough to compete with them.

If Ryzen lives up to its power efficiency claims, lower than Intel by almost 25%, I'll be a very happy camper.

Fingers crossed they'll be in my next rig. Depends how the X300 platform stacks up against the X370.

Someone better step up man.

Amen to that.

Thanks for the help my friend!