what power supply should i choose

sean hayes
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,
6 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That's legitimately the most stupid fucking reason for withholding information for someone who's trying to help you in an anonymous environment where you have literally nothing to lose from telling him the hardware you're powering using this PSU.

Well dam

12 hours ago, sean hayes said:

im currently going to build a pc but dont know what psu to buy im looking for a £100-£170 psu and will output 850 watts 

hears the build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cWWtr7

EVGA B2/G2/G3. 750W will be more than enough for your usage even with future SLI, but if you really do wish to get an 850W for whatever reason, they are all available in both capacities. 

Anything from tier 1-3 from the PSU tier list in my signature. 

But why do you need 850 watts? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Anything from tier 1-3 from the PSU tier list in my signature. 

But why do you need 850 watts? 

850 for upgradability and other things that dont need to worry you

Just now, sean hayes said:

850 for upgradability and other things that dont need to worry you

Oh, well, then I guess I don't need to worry about helping you find a PSU either. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Oh, well, then I guess I don't need to worry about helping you find a PSU either. 

free will

Get an EVGA G2 650W or Corsair RMi/RMx 650W, you will never need an 850W PSU, you can easily SLI or Xfire on a 650W PSU. 

On 1/21/2017 at 6:16 PM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Get an EVGA G2 650W or Corsair RMi/RMx 650W, you will never need an 850W PSU, you can easily SLI or Xfire on a 650W PSU. 

ok thanks man for helping

i was never sure what i needed in the case of a psu

5 hours ago, sean hayes said:

free will

That's legitimately the most stupid fucking reason for withholding information for someone who's trying to help you in an anonymous environment where you have literally nothing to lose from telling him the hardware you're powering using this PSU.

850W, for the record, is what we'd recommend for a dual GTX 1080 system with an X99 i7. So that's why we're wondering why you need 850W for. Nothing pushy about asking why you need such a thing. If you're putting, say, a single GTX 1070 in this system with the 7700k then an EVGA 550G2/GS/G3, 650GQ, 750B2, or a Corsair RM550x would be more than adequate.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

17 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

850W, for the record, is what we'd recommend for a dual GTX 1080 system with an X99 i7. So that's why we're wondering why you need 850W for. Nothing pushy about asking why you need such a thing. If you're putting, say, a single GTX 1070 in this system with the 7700k then an EVGA 550G2/GS/G3, 650GQ, 750B2, or a Corsair RM550x would be more than adequate.

He must be putting a nuclear GPU in there.  Doesn't want anyone finding out I guess.

I don't know why the holy Inquisition is against buying an overpowered PSU. Personally i waste money on so much stupid things that an oversized PSU is not one of my concerns. 

Nonetheless 850W is quite a lot even more for mainstream Intel CPUs... but, if you buy an oversized PSU you can be sure it's fan won't kick in even while gaming. My seasonic x750 didn't kick in even on AAA games with a 970 + 3570K so that adds up to a silent PC if it's important to you. 

Today hardware is quite efficient, 650W is plenty to fuel a gaming build. but as i said there is nothing wrong in buying an oversize PSU apart from "wasting" money. They even come in more efficient ratings like Titanium or platinum, while 750W and below goes up to gold in most cases. (is this important? ... personally i believe it's not. 87%, 90% efficiency, don't really loose my hair over it.)

Brand recommendation: Seasonic. Personal experience has been awesome so far. The out of the box experience is awesome. 

Look how it's packed:

Resultado de imagen para x750 seasonic

Resultado de imagen para x750 seasonic

Screams quality. Best PSU experience i had i my whole life. (Like no shit sherlock, previously i used from chinese crap to thermaltake/coolermaster dung). 

Good luck with your purchase and remember to check if JhonnyGuru has a review on whatever you buy. If he says it's a must have, then it is. 

Cheers!

6 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well dam

12 hours ago, sean hayes said:

im currently going to build a pc but dont know what psu to buy im looking for a £100-£170 psu and will output 850 watts 

hears the build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cWWtr7

EVGA B2/G2/G3. 750W will be more than enough for your usage even with future SLI, but if you really do wish to get an 850W for whatever reason, they are all available in both capacities. 

"Rawr XD"

On 22/01/2017 at 0:57 PM, Aniallation said:

Well dam

thanks for saying i threatened someone when i said and i quote "that piece of information is non of your concern" and in fact I still dont feel you could even comprehend what I was going to do with that 850 psu. Also can people stop commenting on this old post it gets a bit annoying. Oh and if America or Canada is like this then i will never share my invention that yes I did the math and all i need is a 650.

7 hours ago, sean hayes said:

thanks for saying i threatened someone when i said and i quote "that piece of information is non of your concern" and in fact I still dont feel you could even comprehend what I was going to do with that 850 psu. Also can people stop commenting on this old post it gets a bit annoying. Oh and if America or Canada is like this then i will never share my invention that yes I did the math and all i need is a 650.

Once again, if you're going to go with your own decision anyways, you're wasting your time here.

"Rawr XD"

14 hours ago, sean hayes said:

Your attitude is quite puzzling... People just wanted to help you? 

To anyone reading this and needing to buy a PSU, EVGA G3 650W is a really great choice if it's in your budget

8 hours ago, Aniallation said:

Once again, if you're going to go with your own decision anyways, you're wasting your time here.

i was asking what 850 psu to buy not what psu should i buy

2 hours ago, sean hayes said:

i was asking what 850 psu to buy not what psu should i buy

And the vast majority of people who think they need an 850w PSU don't and end up thrilled that they can save a ton of money and get something cheaper/smaller. 

But hey, we must be assholes for trying to help people not waste money by advicing them on what they actually need. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 1/28/2017 at 4:24 AM, nster said:

To anyone reading this and needing to buy a PSU, EVGA G3 650W is a really great choice if it's in your budget

I hope that im talking to a reasonable person here. I was looking for a 850 psu for a new idea i got which may i say i didnt want to disclose with anyone. So a person said why do you need a 850 psu i said for overclocking and other things that dont concern you which over in Britan is a nice way of saying i dont wanna tell you. A bunch of people then started commenting "thats stupid hes trying to help" I get that but I dont want that I want an 850. then People just wouldnt stop commenting on this post so i snapped and started getting agreeably rood. Now im talking to you. A civilised human being. Im not a bad person its just people always judge me this is why I literally have no friends.

On 1/22/2017 at 0:18 AM, Biggerboot said:

He must be putting a nuclear GPU in there.  Doesn't want anyone finding out I guess.

how did you know

13 minutes ago, sean hayes said:

right now you are being an ass hole because i need a 850 psu.

You yourself said you don't:

23 hours ago, sean hayes said:

yes I did the math and all i need is a 650.

And regardless, I'm not an asshole for trying to save you money. 

13 minutes ago, sean hayes said:

and anyway no one ever said that buying a smaller psu would save me money. also I cant believe that people keep on commenting on this ancient post.. I also hate that fact that people assume that as soon as someone posts "what psu should i buy" or anything like that that their idiots. This is my last plead. STOP COMMENTING ON THIS OLD POST PLEASE!!!!

P.S. I dont think that any of you are assholes about recommending people on what to buy I think that you can bee ass holes by assuming on what you dont know.

Buying a smaller/cheaper PSU would more than like save you money. Generally, lower wattage PSUs are cheaper -- not always, but generally. If you didn't come here for advice, then why post a thread asking what PSU to buy......Either you don't know as much as the people who you're asking for help from, OR you like to ask idiots for advice....hmmmmm

No one here made an assumption as to what you need. That is why we ASKED. We'd be assholes if we just assumed you actually needed 850w. By asking we can make a more informed and better recommendation. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You yourself said you don't:

And regardless, I'm not an asshole for trying to save you money. 

Of course buying a smaller/cheaper PSU would save you money. Generally, lower wattage PSUs are cheaper. Anyone who is commenting is mainly doing it to piss you off at this point. If you didn't come here for advice, then why post a thread asking what PSU to buy......Either you don't know as much as the people who you're asking for help from, OR you like to ask idiots for advice....hmmmmm

No one here made an assumption as to what you need. That is why we ASKED. We'd be assholes if we just assumed you actually needed 850w. 

What i am saying was that i still need a 850 but still no one has helped with finding a 850 so i chose a 650 for the time being. I need a 850 for a small idea i got which could change the computers i own. Thanks for being civilised but Ive been over the maths 4 times considering a got an A* i need an 811 watss psu whats added everything up including the extra leds and all that. but if i were to take away the leds and that all i need is a 645 with overclocking. i think by now you can guess my idea with the plural computers.

1 minute ago, sean hayes said:

What i am saying was that i still need a 850 but still no one has helped with finding a 850 so i chose a 650 for the time being. I need a 850 for a small idea i got which could change the computers i own. Thanks for being civilised but Ive been over the maths 4 times considering a got an A* i need an 811 watss psu whats added everything up including the extra leds and all that. but if i were to take away the leds and that all i need is a 645 with overclocking. i think by now you can guess my idea with the plural computers.

The reason why we always ask what it's being used for is because a lot of the time people make their power need estimations based off of what Nvidia/AMD/Intel/etc... recommends (moreover sometimes assume that recommendation is just for the CPU/GPU and not the system). When in reality, those recommendations make the assumption that the PSU is garbage and leave themselves plenty of headroom. For example, it is recommended to have a 500w PSU for a 1080, well, you can easily run a 1080+7700k on a good 350w PSU. 

750w: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JYyFf7/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7wVBD3/rosewill-power-supply-quark750

850w: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2BcMnQ/evga-power-supply-210gq0850

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 hours ago, sean hayes said:

This isn't really a subject that involves damn near any math you can't do with a simple calculator so I get it, you did something wrong and you're trying to cool your jets, but FFS can you just tell us the specs of the system you're powering? 800W is what we'd recommend for a dual Titan X system with a 7700k which is why we'd like to know what you're actually putting in there.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||