Stock fan cpu overclocking?

Ok, maybe a noob question, i'm fairly new to pc building, and I want to try and overclock my amd fx-8350. I know it's best to buy a better cpu cooler if you're going to overclock, but would it be fine using the stock fan? Would it be fine, or do I ACTUALLY need a better cooler even for some light overclocking?

linus sex tips

You'll be fine. Just watch the temps and don't push it too hard. My phenom x6 1055t is happy at ~4Ghz on the stock cooler.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

4 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

Ok, maybe a noob question, i'm fairly new to pc building, and I want to try and overclock my amd fx-8350. I know it's best to buy a better cpu cooler if you're going to overclock, but would it be fine using the stock fan? Would it be fine, or do I ACTUALLY need a better cooler even for some light overclocking?

Stock coolers can barely keep with the processor as they are. Depending on your airflow and room temperature, you could be getting 80C on stock, specially AMD. I would suggest at least get an EVO 212.

Well, first you should check what your temperatures are like with the stock cooler, and whether you don't mind the noise of it at full speed. Set the fan to the fastest that you can still bear, then overclock keeping that fan speed. Assuming you have temperature headroom to spare (over 85C = bad, but IIRC FX CPUs measure their own temperature differently so I wouldn't know)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Stock coolers can barely keep with the processor as they are.

Only true for Intel stock coolers

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

80C is very close to killing the chip. You do know that AMD chips need to be kept cooler than Intel chips, right? I've found that the FX 8350 throttles at 61C on the CPU as a whole or 55C on the hottest core, whichever comes first.

Can you try to OC on the current cooler? Sure.

Will you get more than 100-200MHz out of it? I doubt it.

Will it be obnoxiously loud? Definitely.

3 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Stock coolers can barely keep with the processor as they are. Depending on your airflow and room temperature, you could be getting 80C on stock, specially AMD. I would suggest at least get an EVO 212.

My A8 7650k on the stock cooler @ 4.3ghz didnt even reach 80C lol. Very nearly though.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

16 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

That's Intel, dude. AMD's stock coolers are significantly better. The Wraith can keep up with a 212 EVO.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Depends on the version of the stocvk cooler you've got, the older style with the copper slug in the bottom has a little oc headroom, the newer smaller cooler does as well but you'll also need really good case flow, both work better if you ziptie a 80mm case fan to to top.

Example:

20170117_121810.jpg

The left is a 125tdp cooler from a 6100, the right is a 95tdp cooler from a 8300.

Just watch your temps, with hardware monitor and amd overdrive, overdrive will show you the thermal margin left, hardware monitor should show you socket temp on the board, keep the socket temp under 70c at max. use overdrive to determine the chips temp, you'll usually run out of thermal margin on the socket before the chip on fx 8 cores.

I think this is due to the way power delivery is setup and they use a load of power.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's Intel, dude. AMD's stock coolers are significantly better. The Wraith can keep up with a 212 EVO.

sould I buy a 212 EVO then, or does anyone know of any other better coolers under $40 ?

linus sex tips

1 minute ago, wii8cookies said:

sould I buy a 212 EVO then, or does anyone know of any other better coolers under $40 ?

Deepcool Gammaxx 400. It's cheaper than the EVO, it's quieter than the EVO, it's shorter than the EVO, and it outperforms the EVO.

Oh, and did I mention that it's $14.99 after MIR?

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Deepcool Gammaxx 400. It's cheaper than the EVO, it's quieter than the EVO, it's shorter than the EVO, and it outperforms the EVO.

You sure it's better than the EVO? Have you seen benchmarks or done your own?

9 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J330N3980&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-13C-000X-00035-_-Product

something that blows down is usually better, but the 212 and gammaxx400 are good options as well.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

8 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

If you gonna spend that check the Scythe Fuma. It's probably a few bucks above 40, but opposed to the Evo 212 what is a budget cooler with ok performance, you will get 1 of the best high end aircoolers. It is trading blows with the very best Noctua's so all that is past this is liquid and more exotic colling.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Well, after some research on good 'ol Google all my finds said that no, the Gammaxx 400 is NOT better than the EVO 212, including one here.

That said, if you are going to take advantage of the MIR, then I would take the Gammaxx, it's half price of the EVO.

6 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J330N3980&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-13C-000X-00035-_-Product

something that blows down is usually better, but the 212 and gammaxx400 are good options as well.

Not really, it all depends on your airflow, having something blowing down might just upset the flow and create a whirlwind effect. 

Edit: That works perfect for something like the Node 202, where the CPU has to take air from a cut right above it.

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

Not really, it all depends on your airflow, having something blowing down might just upset the flow and create a whirlwind effect. 

Would a whirlwind happen with 1 fan on the back and 2 on the front?

linus sex tips

4 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Usually you can balance that sort of negative effect with case fans, for overclocking in this case the idea is to actively try and cool the socket/mosfet heatsinks, and traces around the socket. Air acts more like a fluid in an enclosed system so it helps to think about it a little differently, what complicates it more is a heatsink also diffuses air

1 minute ago, wii8cookies said:

Would a whirlwind happen with 1 fan on the back and 2 on the front?

I would go for a regular one. The EVO 212 is the best seller cooler, affordable and excellent. But like I said, for $15 I would go for the Deepcool. It's comparable for $20 less.

2 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

I would go for a regular one. The EVO 212 is the best seller cooler, affordable and excellent. But like I said, for $15 I would go for the Deepcool. It's comparable for $20 less.

would it fit in my case tho? I have a zalman Z1 neo

EDIT: wait never mind lemmie look on my pc part picker

Edited by wii8cookies

linus sex tips

14 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

would it fit in my case tho? I have a zalman Z1 neo

EDIT: wait never mind lemmie look on my pc part picker

In theory, I read your case is 160mm and the EVO is 158.5.

Edit: I checked specs and indeed. It would be a tight fit, 1.5mm free. Might want to check something like the Cryorig H7, that's 145mm tall.

3 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

You sure it's better than the EVO? Have you seen benchmarks or done your own?

Yes on both counts. It's not an Earth-shattering ass kicking on the 400's part. Realistically, in that price range, you have a lot of coolers bunched up within a few degrees of each other, but the time I've spent screwing around with a 212 EVO, an H7 and a Gammaxx 400 leads me to say without a doubt that the Gammaxx is the best of the three, and at $25 regular price, $15 after MIR, it is the best value of the three by an Earth-shattering ass kickingly huge amount. I'm trying to think of a way to justify buying one, but last time I did that, I ended up with a beQuiet Pure Rock Slim and no CPU to mount it on.