60hz or 120hz

Mike87

Hi all,

since all the other topics are outdated I want to ask this question again, maybe the opinions/facts have changed.

I need a new Monitor since my old one is making problems. So now the question is, should the new one be 60hz or 120hz. If I search other forums, the opinions different a lot... many say you don't need more then 60hz because you will not see a difference and others say once you go 120hz you will never go back O.o.

What are youre experience with this? 

I hope that with a 120hz Monitor, my motion blur in games will go away or at least get better.

If 120hz is worth it, can you suggest a good monitor at max. 300€ (or $)

Thanks!

Mike

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

120/144Hz monitors are pretty cheap.

Common ones include the ASUS VG248QE, and the Acer GN246HL.

It offers less input lag and lower frametimes over 60Hz monitors, and there is a massive difference compared to 60Hz monitors. 

It's totally worth it IMO. But it's up to you, I guess. 

idk

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

It's worth if you have good enough hardware go run 120fps on games you play

okay, at the moment in BF I am around 70-120... I could lower some settings to reach that.

But will it lower the motion blur when f.e. turning around?

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

3 minutes ago, Denned said:

Even if you're only running 80+ I'd say it still would be a significant upgrade from 60hz. So I would very much recommend you to get a 120hz monitor. :)

Thanks Denned :)

also with motion blur or what changes? 

My Setup: 

10 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

120/144Hz monitors are pretty cheap.

Common ones include the ASUS VG248QE, and the Acer GN246HL.

It offers less input lag and lower frametimes over 60Hz monitors, and there is a massive difference compared to 60Hz monitors. 

It's totally worth it IMO. But it's up to you, I guess. 

Thanks for the tips. The Acer in 27" looks nice and costs "only"  330€ here :D

My Setup: 

120Hz? Isn't that kind of yesterdays news already? I mean, if you're buying 2014 tech, you should at least get it for a good price. Old is old even if it's unused.

It has all been mentioned but yes it is noticeable and handy, even if you don't have the hardware to reach max fps constantly. The higher the better, but the higher it gets the more you have a diminshing return in experiencing it. It varies from person to person but you can say that biggest step is taken if you average above 100Hz already. However for pro FPS players it can't get high enough and they care more about the reaction speed then the visual quality. There are even true 240Hz screens now. They enjoy that very much.

But for the much larger base of more normal use a 120 or 144 Hz is fine enough already. Many people only notice minimal difference between 120 or 144 Hz, let alone 240 Hz. But still it can be noticable.

Also wrote a bit about this in my guide in the signature if you want some more info.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Any game feels lot smoother at 90+ fps. ANY GAME ! Its noticable, in FPS games like CSGO, OW, BF etc. its experience changing moment :)

Storyline singleplayer games dont need high Hz screens since there isnt much going on.

If you have RX480/GTX 1060 (1080p) or higher tier GPU paired with i5 or higher tier CPU then get 120/144Hz monitor it is worth every single penny !

My GTX 1060 can run some games at 120+ fps on very high settings and some on low/medium (H1Z1 terrible game to run...).

Ive had my 144Hz monitor for over 6 months now and it was worth it even with mediocer GTX 760 before I upgraded.

The games I play frequently: CSGO, BF 1, LoL, OW, GTA V, H1Z1.

Conclusion: It depends on what games you play and what hardware you have got.

There is small percentage of people whose sight really cant benefit from high FPS and dont listen to them if you dont belong with them :)

I recommend Benq Xl2411Z or Asus (go to twitch.tv/summit1g and look at his model number).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

7 minutes ago, Thony said:

Any game feels lot smoother at 90+ fps. ANY GAME ! Its noticable, in FPS games like CSGO, OW, BF etc. its experience changing moment :)

Storyline singleplayer games dont need high Hz screens since there isnt much going on.

If you have RX480/GTX 1060 (1080p) or higher tier GPU paired with i5 or higher tier CPU then get 120/144Hz monitor it is worth every single penny !

My GTX 1060 can run some games at 120+ fps on very high settings and some on low/medium (H1Z1 terrible game to run...).

Ive had my 144Hz monitor for over 6 months now and it was worth it even with mediocer GTX 760 before I upgraded.

The games I play frequently: CSGO, BF 1, LoL, OW, GTA V, H1Z1.

Conclusion: It depends on what games you play and what hardware you have got.

There is small percentage of people whose sight really cant benefit from high FPS and dont listen to them if you dont belong with them :)

I recommend Benq Xl2411Z or Asus (go to twitch.tv/summit1g and look at his model number).

Wow thanks for the information!

I mostly have issues with egoshooters, at the moment BF1 and before that BF4. I hate it wen I run fast or turn around faster, I have a lot of "motion blur" or also frame cutting... it bothers me because I have troubles finding enemies fast

Right now I have my i5 4570 @3200 MHz and Saphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC which give me about 80fps average in MP(almost everything on ultra). I could cut back with some graphics settings an reach over 100 fps.

My Setup: 

Easy, if you don't "need" 1440p Resolution, or IPS, then go for 1080p 144 Hz:     AOC G2460PF

Check out the Review: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

This is one of the cheapest 144 Hz Panels (don't go for 120 Hz anymore. it's old tech, and noone produces 120 anymore. 144 is the way to go here), this Monitor also has an USB 2.0 Hub, Heigh control, pivot/swivel, and it supports FreeSync (which works with your R9 290) all the way from 35 to 144 Hz~.

That would be the perfect Gaming Monitor for your setup.

Remember: There is NO reason at all, to buy a Monitor today, without Freesync. In almost all cases, it doesn't even make the monitor more expensive.

Like the above mentioned Asus/Acer model. Bad monitor, since it has neither Gsync, nor Freesync. Only 144 Hz, means you will deal with Tearing OR stuttering as long you can't hold at least 144 min-fps.

Trust me: Go for Freesync. It DOES make a difference.

52 minutes ago, Gonio said:

It has all been mentioned but yes it is noticeable and handy, even if you don't have the hardware to reach max fps constantly. The higher the better, but the higher it gets the more you have a diminshing return in experiencing it. It varies from person to person but you can say that biggest step is taken if you average above 100Hz already. However for pro FPS players it can't get high enough and they care more about the reaction speed then the visual quality. There are even true 240Hz screens now. They enjoy that very much.

But for the much larger base of more normal use a 120 or 144 Hz is fine enough already. Many people only notice minimal difference between 120 or 144 Hz, let alone 240 Hz. But still it can be noticable.

Also wrote a bit about this in my guide in the signature if you want some more info.

Hi Gonio,

nice guide you made! I've read a few things regarding GPU, FPS, Frame time, etc. It gave me a deep view of how things work together - thumbs up!:)

Frame time could be a good idea for my "issue". I think was was checking it with msi afterburner and it was between 0-24ms... but maybe it was something else, I will check at home again.

My Setup: 

10 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Easy, if you don't "need" 1440p Resolution, or IPS, then go for 1080p 144 Hz:     AOC G2460PF

Check out the Review: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

This is one of the cheapest 144 Hz Panels (don't go for 120 Hz anymore. it's old tech, and noone produces 120 anymore. 144 is the way to go here), this Monitor also has an USB 2.0 Hub, Heigh control, pivot/swivel, and it supports FreeSync (which works with your R9 290) all the way from 35 to 144 Hz~.

That would be the perfect Gaming Monitor for your setup.

Remember: There is NO reason at all, to buy a Monitor today, without Freesync. In almost all cases, it doesn't even make the monitor more expensive.

Like the above mentioned Asus/Acer model. Bad monitor, since it has neither Gsync, nor Freesync. Only 144 Hz, means you will deal with Tearing OR stuttering as long you can't hold at least 144 min-fps.

Trust me: Go for Freesync. It DOES make a difference.

Oh okay... makes sense! Thanks for the heads up!

But between 24" and 27" there is nothing to worry about? O.o

My Setup: 

What do you mean?

I personaly think, 27" is way too big for "just" 1080p Resolution. That will hurt the PPI quite a bit.

27" i would go for 1440p at least. Considering, there are quite good 24" 1440p Monitors with 144 Hz and Freesync^^

If you stay at 1080p, i would recommend 24" (except you sit faaar away from it. Like a meter or so).

But this is just preference ;) If you're fine with the pixel density, and prefer 27", go for it. But that should be a bit more expensive.

i'm using 1080p at 24" now, and i also think, the ppi could be sharper.

3 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

What do you mean?

I personaly think, 27" is way too big for "just" 1080p Resolution. That will hurt the PPI quite a bit.

27" i would go for 1440p at least. Considering, there are quite good 24" 1440p Monitors with 144 Hz and Freesync^^

If you stay at 1080p, i would recommend 24" (except you sit faaar away from it. Like a meter or so).

But this is just preference ;) If you're fine with the pixel density, and prefer 27", go for it. But that should be a bit more expensive.

i'm using 1080p at 24" now, and i also think, the ppi could be sharper.

f. e. that what you just mentioned :D

yeah you are right, this could be a problem... I sit very close to the monitor, I would say about 50...60cm away. Right now I have a 24" and it is okay.

I find a 21:9 monitor looks very nice for gaming, but have never played with one ^^.

And also... over 600€ for 144hz *cries in poor*

My Setup: 

600? Check out the AOC Agon AG241QX

That one costs 387€ here in germany (shouldn't be much more different anywhere else), has 24", and 144p with Freesync.

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

600? Check out the AOC Agon AG241QX

That one costs 387€ here in germany (shouldn't be much more different anywhere else), has 24", and 144p with Freesync.

I wrote 21:9 Monitor :D

Like the AOC C3583FQ/BS

My Setup: 

oh whoops xD Sorry.

Interesting one. Still low on resolution (it's just 1080p, which got pulled sideways :P Pixel density should be similar to a 1080p on 27".

But 21:9 format is pretty nice for Gaming.

And you get a sexy VA Panelwith 160 Hz.

Difficult Choice^^ You have a few different Ways there open to go.

More hz is sexy.. but more resolution is also >.<

I think 2560 x 1440 + 144 Hz might be a solid sweet spot ^^

I would go into a store and see some different panels and sizes/resolutions for yourself

6 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

oh whoops xD Sorry.

Interesting one. Still low on resolution (it's just 1080p, which got pulled sideways :P Pixel density should be similar to a 1080p on 27".

But 21:9 format is pretty nice for Gaming.

And you get a sexy VA Panelwith 160 Hz.

Difficult Choice^^ You have a few different Ways there open to go.

More hz is sexy.. but more resolution is also >.<

I think 2560 x 1440 + 144 Hz might be a solid sweet spot ^^

I would go into a store and see some different panels and sizes/resolutions for yourself

yeah your right, nice to have... but my wallet says no anyways xD

I will try out a 1440p Monitor, I think that should do. Also for my wallet :D

Thanks so far for your help ^_^

My Setup: 

Recently I picked up the AOC G2460PQU and its a 1080p144hz monitor. I was a little sceptical at first about high refresh-rates, but now I will never see 60hz the same. Now if you don't play a lot of competitive games or can't run it at 120+ FPS don't worry about it. But that being said you CAN see the difference in something as simple as moving your mouse around and just everyday normal tasks like moving windows and tabs. I highly recommend getting a 120+ hz monitor. Its not something you won't notice. You will not have to be informed it is 120+hz , you WILL notice.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Thanks to all for the help!

Finally I have some clear and competent feedback. In other Forums when I ask this question, it just started a war ^^... probably because of the console VS. Masterrace hate 9_9

My Setup: 

2 hours ago, Mike87 said:

Wow thanks for the information!

I mostly have issues with egoshooters, at the moment BF1 and before that BF4. I hate it wen I run fast or turn around faster, I have a lot of "motion blur" or also frame cutting... it bothers me because I have troubles finding enemies fast

Right now I have my i5 4570 @3200 MHz and Saphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC which give me about 80fps average in MP(almost everything on ultra). I could cut back with some graphics settings an reach over 100 fps.

Np. I dont get that and cant remember if I did on my 60Hz. 

290 isnt bad but yea, you will have to lower some settings. I played bf 4 on everything high to get 80-100 fps on my 760. So if u step down just to very high u will hit that 90+. 

BF 1 is insanely annoying when u dont play sniper or vehicles. Just clusterfuck :D not much different from BF4 other than there is almost no freaking rubber-band sympton (low tick servers). 

I suggest u buy a good monitor and not the cheapest out there because you will keep your monitor while you upgrade your GPU once or twice (Im always hoping for 5+ years from my monitors). 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Hey Guys, can someone explain this?

So I was playing BF1 in Ultra/high and this is the overview from my system while playing MP 64 slot Operation. (attachment)

First thing I am not sure if it is normal, is the Frametime, it was mostly around 20-30ms, sometimes peaks of 100! is that normal?

CPU is always on 100%, but this seems to be normal in BF1 o.O

What is also strange, I set the graphics to high and medium and i was still around 80-100 fps... Do I need to restart the game for it to take affect? I changed the settings while playing.

ultra.JPG

My Setup: