Is the GTX 970 still good today?

Aaronius_Leonius
3 minutes ago, Enovi said:

I am on the OC-product, but I don't want to do it manually because I am not a hard-ware nerd (personally) and don't want to damage my computer. Plus, I'm happy with my statistics anyway.

I never said I am locking it at FPS, ever, I said it can achieve 60fps.

go test it in Heaven/Valley benchmark with no limits and get back to me

playing Tomb Raider: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/29/

temps5.png

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

go test it in Heaven/Valley benchmark with no limits and get back to me

playing Tomb Raider: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/29/

temps5.png

Strange you're comparing an AMD game to an Nvidia optimised game.

P.S Downloading and doing the benchmark soon. So you know.

1 minute ago, Enovi said:

what?!

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

what?!

excuse my bad english, not natively English, I meant an AMD GPU to an Nvidia optimised game.

excuse my bad english, not natively English, I meant an AMD GPU to an Nvidia optimised game.

again, what does X have to do with Y?!

P.S Downloading and doing the benchmark soon. So you know.

If it does well, I would recommend overclocking it with afterburner.  It is a lot harder to damage your video card than you think as shown here: 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

Why does it matter if it's good today, if you're not buying it until August?

You should be asking closer to the time of purchase, things change, and the answer could be entirely different.

24 minutes ago, sakibsadmanshajib said:

Dude, get the RX 480 or go for 1060. I'd strongly recommend not to buy used products.

There's really nothing wrong with used hardware.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

again, what does X have to do with Y?!

Tomb raider is optimized for NVidia cards. Just like Hitman is AMD optimized. The companies probably paid for that.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why does it matter if it's good today, if you're not buying it until August?

You should be asking closer to the time of purchase, things change, and the answer could be entirely different.

I like to know exactly what I want ahead of time. If things change, I will make a new thread.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

2 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

JayZ is spewing a lot of bullshit

OCing can fuck up your card especially if it's not engineered properly - no one even recalls the EVGA's GTX10 series that went up in smoke just from powering on the PC?! funny

2 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

I like to know exactly what I want ahead of time. If things change, I will make a new thread.

...making this one pointless ;)

It's true for new builds, it's true for upgrading. Wait until you're closer to the time of purchase, all else is useless speculation.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

Just letting you know I'm right now uploading the video for that benchmark onto YouTube right now

settings:

preset: extreme HD
resolution: 1920x1080

processor: i5 4440

psu: 600w evga

mobo: b85-m

ram: 24gb ddr3-1600mhz

I will edit in video (in this reply) and just said my computer specifications and resolution for intention of people thinking of any possible bottlenecks

(processing)

JayZ is spewing a lot of bullshit

OCing can fuck up your card especially if it's not engineered properly - no one even recalls the EVGA's GTX10 series that went up in smoke just from powering on the PC?! funny

That was from the card with improper cooling. Also, if you watch the entire video, he intentionally applies way too much voltage to the card, fixes it, and shows it is still working. You have to stress test it whenever you increase the speed and voltage. You will know when you have reached the limit and if it isn't engineered properly, you won't be able to get a stable overclock.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

...making this one pointless ;)

It's true for new builds, it's true for upgrading. Wait until you're closer to the time of purchase, all else is useless speculation.

I have no patience and this will help me wait. I also like to get a good idea of how much I need to save ahead of time.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

5 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

That was from the card with improper cooling. Also, if you watch the entire video, he intentionally applies way too much voltage to the card, fixes it, and shows it is still working. You have to stress test it whenever you increase the speed and voltage. You will know when you have reached the limit and if it isn't engineered properly, you won't be able to get a stable overclock.

again ... you should check the data on how many cards have been RMAed

OCing has always been a risk and will continue to be so - OCing means pushing the power delivery and the cooling to the limits

if you truly believe OCing does not have long term effects ... wish you good luck

no one remembers those R9 290s used for crypto coin mining that ended on E-Bay and such - worked for few months then .. nothing

again ... you should check the data on how many cards have been RMAed

OCing has always been a risk and will continue to be so - OCing means pushing the power delivery and the cooling to the limits

if you truly believe OCing does not have long term effects ... wish you good luck

no one remembers those R9 290s used for crypto coin mining that ended on E-Bay and such - worked for few months then .. nothing

Better be careful on ebay then. I will probably have to get a new card because if I spend all my money on a GPU that is gonna fail, I will probably cry like an idiot. Don't judge me.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

1 minute ago, AA-RonRosen said:

Better be careful on ebay then. I will probably have to get a new card because if I spend all my money on a GPU that is gonna fail, I will probably cry like an idiot. Don't judge me.

Trust me, I'm like that with everything lol. 

8 minutes ago, Enovi said:

Trust me, I'm like that with everything lol. 

Good to know I'm not the only one. 

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

Just now, AA-RonRosen said:

Good to know I'm not the only one. 

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US, DOZENS!

28 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

Things are going to change in 8 months for sure. I'd be absolutely shocked if you couldn't find RX 480 for $180 by then, and it's a better card than the 970. I wouldn't buy a three year old Nvidia card in August, as they do not typically age very well. For instance, the GTX 780 Ti  that launched at $700 in November 2013 is about on par with the lowend GTX 1050 Ti today. Meanwhile the R9 290x that launched a month earlier than the 780 Ti and at $550 is likely still up there with the GTX 1060. I say likely because I can only find current benchmarks on the R9 390 and R9 390x, and the 290x is the same card as the 390x with a slightly lower clock and 4GB RAM.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Things are going to change in 8 months for sure. I'd be absolutely shocked if you couldn't find RX 480 for $180 by then, and it's a better card than the 970. I wouldn't buy a three year old Nvidia card in August, as they do not typically age very well. For instance, the GTX 780 Ti  that launched at $700 in November 2013 is about on par with the lowend GTX 1050 Ti today. Meanwhile the R9 290x that launched a month earlier than the 780 Ti is likely still up there with the GTX 1060. I say likely because I can only find current benchmarks on the R9 390 and R9 390x, and the 290x is the same card as the 390x with a slightly lower clock and 4GB RAM.

True. It's mainly to find out how much more money I need.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

Nvidia cards are great the first two years (which is why I bought my 970 back in 2014), but historically they age much worse than equivalent AMD cards. My 970 is still more than enough for me to play games at 1080p high 60 fps, which is why I didn't upgrade in 2016 even though the GTX 1070 looked amazing, but I imagine I'm going to really want to upgrade in 2017. Especially if Volta launches this year and if Vega has some good midrange cards (I'm never going to pay $500+ for a halo card, which is what Vega is looking like right now).

According to the internet, the 970 is as good as a Titan. So for the one game i currently play, that's means you can get 60+ frames in bf1 on ultra at 1080. 

Seems to be plenty for me. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, sakibsadmanshajib said:

Dude, get the RX 480 or go for 1060. I'd strongly recommend not to buy used products.

Why? My used 980ti is a beast. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.