Setting up another monitor

Go to solution Solved by WowMuchName,
(First time posting on here :D)

Hello, so my sister recently gave me her TV and I wanted to use it as a second screen however my graphics card only has display ports available but the new monitor only has hdmi so I bought a hdmi to display port cable however it isn't working. Do I need to get a new monitor with a display port built in it? Or am I doing something wrong? I have tried different sources on the TV but still nothing. Any help will be much appreciated. 

TV Model - T24D390-C  

Did you turn it on?

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

3 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

Did you turn it on?

Yes, It turns on it's just there is no signal. So it says anyway.

2 minutes ago, ProLegendGamer said:

Yes, It turns on it's just there is no signal. So it says anyway.

do you remember the specific model?

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

4 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

do you remember the specific model?

Umm, at the back it says Model: T24D390EW (the first one was probably wrong idk)

and the Model code is LT24D390EW/XU if that is any help.

1 minute ago, ProLegendGamer said:

Umm, at the back it says Model: T24D390EW (the first one was probably wrong idk)

and the Model code is LT24D390EW/XU if that is any help.

no of the adaptor

and you are sure the tv still works when connected to the origional device it was connected to?

35 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

and you are sure the tv still works when connected to the origional device it was connected to?

Yes, I should assume so.

Have you tried setting it up in windows? Sometimes it won't show anything until you set it up. You have to either "duplicate" or "extend" (you will want to extend, duplicate is for projectors and stuff) 

1 minute ago, WowMuchName said:

Have you tried setting it up in windows? Sometimes it won't show anything until you set it up. You have to either "duplicate" or "extend" (you will want to extend, duplicate is for projectors and stuff) 

I've tried that. Windows does detect it however there is no difference when I select or change an option.

Make sure the tv has the port that you are using selected, it should detect it anyways, but just make sure.

Make sure the tv has the port that you are using selected, it should detect it anyways, but just make sure.

Well there HDMI 1 & 2. I've tried both and both say No signal. I've also tried refreshing the TV and I'm getting the same results.

2 minutes ago, ProLegendGamer said:

Well there HDMI 1 & 2. I've tried both and both say No signal. I've also tried refreshing the TV and I'm getting the same results.

I just saw a review for that adaptor, "This is not a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, it is a HDMI to DisplayPort cable. The difference? It only works connecting HDMI output to DisplayPort Input. Not when connecting, as the name suggests, DisplayPort out to an HDMI in connection."

I didn't know there was a difference, and there may not be, but it didn't work for this guy.

I didn't know there was a difference, and there may not be, but it didn't work for this guy.

Hmm okay, thanks for your help. I'll probably send it back to amazon and get one that meets what you said. If the cable i have at the moment isn't working by now then you could be right.

15 hours ago, ProLegendGamer said:

Hmm okay, thanks for your help. I'll probably send it back to amazon and get one that meets what you said. If the cable i have at the moment isn't working by now then you could be right.

Let me know how it turns out :)

Let me know how it turns out :)

Will do :) In the meantime is it possible if you could suggest me a cable that would work in my situation so I don't somehow buy the wrong one again lol. I would really appreciate that.

3 minutes ago, ProLegendGamer said:

Will do :) In the meantime is it possible if you could suggest me a cable that would work in my situation so I don't somehow buy the wrong one again lol. I would really appreciate that.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484410446&sr=1-3&keywords=DisplayPort+to+hdmi#customerReviews nobody seems to have the same problem with this one, and honestly, the cable you had before might of just been defective, I mean, it happens. Oh, and that's a Amazon US link, and iirc, the one you sent us was U.K., so you might have to switch the country over.

13 minutes ago, WowMuchName said:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484410446&sr=1-3&keywords=DisplayPort+to+hdmi#customerReviews nobody seems to have the same problem with this one, and honestly, the cable you had before might of just been defective, I mean, it happens. Oh, and that's a Amazon US link, and iirc, the one you sent us was U.K., so you might have to switch the country over.

Thank you ever so much!! I'll update on the situation soon :)

16 minutes ago, WowMuchName said:

Oh it's not available in the UK. Would this one work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-HDTV-Supporting/dp/B01672IR6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484411565&sr=1-1&keywords=Cable+Matters+Gold+Plated+DisplayPort+to+HDTV+Cable+6+Feet 

On 14/01/2017 at 6:28 PM, WowMuchName said:

:)

Just thought I'd say I have received it and it works perfectly. Thanks again.