Buy a after market cooler?

charvey2000

So i recently ordered myself a I5 6500 off of amazon, i bought the used one for -£35 off the advertised price and when it arrived the box had clearly been damaged, as far as i can tell the CPU is fine but the CPU cooler has some bent fins and the plastic casing of it is cracked in places. As i was refunded a further £33.08 for the broken cpu cooler my question is should i invest in a aftermarket cooler or buy another intel cooler? and if so which aftermarket cooler to buy?

Don't spend money on another stock cooler, if you're going to buy a new cooler get something like a hyper 212 evo if you have a case that it fits in. They're about  £25 and will be quieter than a stock cooler

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

4 minutes ago, Moress said:

Don't spend money on another stock cooler, if you're going to buy a new cooler get something like a hyper 212 evo if you have a case that it fits in. They're about  £25 and will be quieter than a stock cooler

But that cooler's mounting solution is a nightmare.

1 minute ago, charvey2000 said:

my case is the define nano s 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Lbhj4D/cryorig-cpu-cooler-c7

I mounted my 212 alone while my case was standing up. If you have even the slightest amount of hand eye coordination its fine.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Yeah I hate the 212 Evos mounting solution, but once you get it mounted it's the best air cooler for it's price range.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

I know that the hyper 212x is 158mm and the define nano s can fit cpu coolers up to 160mm in height but is a 2mm gap enough?

My other PC's case is an N200 which has 160mm clearance and it has a 212 evo which is 159mm so I'd say yes.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

yea just dont press down on the plastic window as you slide it in. if it says up to 160mm, it will include 160mm as that is pretty much the unofficial standard size for large coolers

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You can also use a Be Quiet! pure rock slim, which is 10mm smaller or so for the same price. (20usd)

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

If it says it is compatible with 160mm coolers that doesn't necessarily mean there is a 160mm gap between motherboard and side panel, but rather that that's the maximum cooler size they officially support. You could probably fit a 162mm cooler too (don't quote me on that) so you should be good.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

You can also use a Be Quiet! pure rock slim, which is 10mm smaller or so for the same price. (20usd)

Doesn't cool as well as the Hyper 212, though.

WHIPLASH

1 minute ago, toasty6776 said:

Doesn't cool as well as the Hyper 212, though.

I'd like to see you back that up

7 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

I'd like to see you back that up

As it says in this post the Hyper 212 Evo (which is the predecessor to the X) has a 180W TDP (CM doesn't provide any info on that on their site), and on bequiet's site it says the Pure Rock slim has a 120W TDP. 180W>120W so the Hyper 212 cools better.

WHIPLASH

6 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

As it says in this post the Hyper 212 Evo (which is the predecessor to the X) has a 180W TDP (CM doesn't provide any info on that on their site), and on bequiet's site it says the Pure Rock slim has a 120W TDP. 180W>120W so the Hyper 212 cools better.

slim-stock-temps.jpg?w=800

@Megah3rtz Haven't done any testing myself so maybe you are correct.

WHIPLASH

3 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

@Megah3rtz Haven't done any testing myself so maybe you are correct.

I could do testing since I own both, but I'm lazy and they're in two different systems right now. Its safe to say they're fairly equal anyway. The Pure rock slim Loses its edge by alot once you start high end overclocks, but I don't think that matters since he owns an i5 non K. 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

I could do testing since I own both, but I'm lazy and they're in two different systems right now. Its safe to say they're pretty equal anyway. 

I didn't expect them to perform that differently, to begin with, tbh. Just thought I picked up somewhere that the pure rock slim has a lesser TDP.

WHIPLASH

1 minute ago, toasty6776 said:

I didn't expect them to perform that differently, to begin with, tbh. Just thought I picked up somewhere that the pure rock slim has a lesser TDP.

yeah, I don't know how to verify the 212 TDP since I don't have the box anymore, but the slim does have a rather low TDP compared to most so I wouldn't be surprised. updated comment, 212 evo wins in a way. 

The case has room for many good coolers. If your price limit is £35, two best (imo) options are M9i and Pure Rock. By the looks of it, you might just get Pure Rock. Its really, really good price atm and will outperform 212 Evo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'd just like to know if a hyper 212x can fit on an ITX motherboard without obstructing the GPU or the RAM, it's not the height I'm worried about its the width.